• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
War anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nani?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:36 am Reply with quote
d.yaro wrote:
I'll mention this one though I believe the odds of finding the anime (let alone an English subbed version) are slim to none: "Konpeki no Kantai". My translation of that is "The Deep Blue Fleet" or "The Deep Blue Squadron". I believe there was a series of novels and perhaps a manga. Have seen mention of a game. The premise is that the IJN - Imperial Japanese Navy - secretly builds and comissions a class of super subs with revolutionary propulsion systems prior to commencing war with the USA. The vessels had underwater capabilities similar to German type XXi U-boats. My grasp of technical Japanese is shakey and I certainly didn't figure out everything when I saw two episodes of the OVA a little under a decade ago. A friend had purchased the LD - laser disc - which had been imported from Japan. The episodes covered two pet projects of the IJN high command: attack the US fleet at sea with subs during the night as it departs Pearl Harbour to take on an oncoming Japanese fleet and bomb the locks of the Panama Canal with seaplane bombers transported there by submarines.

Actually, that's interesting.The Japanese did build a "carrier sub" with the original aim of taking out the Panama canal. However, it wasn't ready for deployment until August 1945, just as the U.S. "deployed" Fat man and Little boy on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

All the best,

Nani?
Darkenin13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:44 am Reply with quote
Kino's Journey I know has 1 amazing episode just on war. It's really deep.
AceRyonik

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:08 am Reply with quote
Yes, Episode 12. As much as I love Kino's Journey, I don't know if I can reccomend a whole DVD of an unrelated series to suggest one related episode...

Who knows? You may end up loving Kino's Journey.
TsavongLah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
If you want Anime with War, I suggest Grave of the Fireflies. It's set in Japan during WWII.
heen

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting tired of all the mecha, fantasy or samurai animes.

I have never seen one modern war anime, what i mean by modern war is the setting set in the 20th century or 21st century.

The only anime i've seen that is modern war is Zipang.

Why aren't there any animes based on World War 2 etc...
It would be cool to have a anime series similar to Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan or Blackhawk down. Even though those are based on America's War, pretty sure Japan can come up with some fictional wars.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Grave of the Fireflies is not just a good Second World War anime, it's also probably one of the best (certainly one of the most moving) anime movies out there. It's not a movie where we follow a bunch of soldiers round, so it's dissimilar to Band of Brothers in that respect... but as far as depicting the horror of war in the 20th Century, you needn't look much further.
heen

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
Grave of the Fireflies is not just a good Second World War anime, it's also probably one of the best (certainly one of the most moving) anime movies out there. It's not a movie where we follow a bunch of soldiers round, so it's dissimilar to Band of Brothers in that respect... but as far as depicting the horror of war in the 20th Century, you needn't look much further.

i'll check into that but i was looking more for following bunch of soldiers around. A action packed , good story modern war movie.
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
There are, actually.

The Silent Service is set during the Cold War. The crew of an armed nuclear submarine belonging to the Japanese Self-Defense Force declares the submarine an independent state.

And, of course, you've seen Zipang already.

The following may or may not be what you're looking for. They are modeled after or set in a 20th century war environment, but there are fictionalized elements that are actually more prominent than the war elements.

As the title Blood, the Last Vampire suggests, it's about vampires. However, it's set in an American military base during the Vietnam war. I haven't seen the show, but I assume that you will see a fair number of reasonable approximations to how an American military base in the Vietnam war is like.

Pumpkin Scissors is set in a fictional country based on post-WWI Germany (except it retained the imperial government rather than moved onto the Weimar Republic). However, as the post war setting suggests, it isn't about the war but about reconstruction. The military weapons you see are mostly based on the period between the two World Wars, but there are many anachronistic technologies, like biologically enhanced soldiers. Some of the equipments that they use also seem to be out of place.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
heen wrote:
i'll check into that but i was looking more for following bunch of soldiers around. A action packed , good story modern war movie.

Most war anime focus on innocent citizens in the last years of WWII; I can name a few without looking. The reason is very simple: unlike Americans, there just are not much material for Japanese to produce modern-time war movie, let alone anime.

Japan became a regional power after the first Sino-Japanese war in 1895 and became a world power after the battle of Tsushima in 1905. More than 30 years later, the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) attacked American Pearl Harbor and British Force Z in succession in December 1941, defeating the two most powerful navies of the world. However, just six months later, IJN lost four carriers and most of her experienced naval pilots in Midway, and their fate was basically sealed after that. Thus, there are only four candidates for adaptation: battles of Weihaiwei, Tsushima, Pearl Harbor, and Malaya; which one do you prefer? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop There were, however, two propaganda anime movies for children (Momotaro no Umiwashi and Momotaro - Umi no Shinpei), but those were very cartoonish and not serious at all.

On the land, the record of Imperial Japanese Army (IJA) was far less glorious than that of sailors. Their victories were mainly because their opponents were far less advanced and/or prepared. IJA tanks and infantry weapons were poorly designed and manufactured; its opponents, however, didn't even have tanks or sufficient infantry weapons at the dawn of war.

After Japan's defeat in 1945, there's basically no war story for Japan to produce with, although there were a small number of elite soldiers from Self-Defense Force (SDF) secretly sent to Vietnam for combat experience (see Cat Shit One / Apocalypse Meow for details). Also bear in mind that producing war movies of victories can be easily interpreted as propaganda in post-WWII era, thus most post-WWII Japanese war movies were about soldiers facing their certain deaths near the end of the war, instead of their victories early on. As you can see, those materials (mostly about Kamikaze pilots) were not suitable for anime adaptation.

Boomerang Flash wrote:
The Silent Service is set during the Cold War. The crew of an armed nuclear submarine belonging to the Japanese Self-Defense Force declares the submarine an independent state.

Em, by military standards, The Silent Service is neither serious nor accurate... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DoubleWide

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
While technically a war anime Area 88 is about a man tricked into enlisting in the Air Force of an unnamed country. It has incredible flying sequences, a lot of drama, plus a little humor.
skyesage

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote
FLAG is a modern war setting, though it is told more through the lens of a camera (the main character is a photojournalist).

It has gotten nothing but praise here, and it is fairly war oriented. Isn't this a reccomendation thread, though?
Triple_Dude

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Em, by military standards, The Silent Service is neither serious nor accurate...
But the OP only stated 20th or 21st century setting war anime, so shouldn't TSS be fair game?

Also, another totally non-serious nor accurate (Heck, the main premises is totally unrealistic and impossible), but still a 21st century "war" anime would be... Toshokan Sensou. As far as I know, the technologies used are 21st century stuff (SWAT team gun and armour, essentially).

I personally didn't like it, and couldn't watch past the second episode... But it fits the bill--sort of Razz.
sirgalahadthegreat

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
Clockwork Fighters: Hiwou's War is an anime that talks about the wars between samurai and foreigners that marked the beginning of the Meiji period.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:34 am Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:

No kidding. I haven't seen the live-action movie, but I'd definitely recommend it if you liked the anime. I haven't gotten around to buying the DVD, but a new perspective's always good. Smile
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:36 am Reply with quote
Triple_Dude wrote:
But the OP only stated 20th or 21st century setting war anime, so shouldn't TSS be fair game?

Depends on your definition of "fair game." Sure, it's just a fictional work, but having EVERY tactical move by Sea Bat / Yamato effective while EVERY move by 7th Fleet ineffective isn't "fair" in my book.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7