• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
War anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricDent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:10 am Reply with quote
The Sky Crawlers is set in a WW2 like war, mostly focused on propeller fighter planes & the pilots.

Set after a major war (and maybe leading into another) is Pumpkin Scissors.

Of course there is also a pretty famous song about war.

War, huh, yeah!
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing!
Thunder-Break

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote
How has no one suggested Legend of the Galactic Heroes yet?
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I have not seen anyone suggested FLAG so far (or perhaps I skipped it)- war is its main theme and we experience it through the main characters lens.
buggeruptium

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:24 am Reply with quote
Valkyria Chronicles is one.A little bit of a fantasy element to it but in general a solid war anime.
shadow13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Cat Shit One: The Animated Series (ONA), think Call of Duty Modern Warfare and animals
Vracer111

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
I have not seen anyone suggested FLAG so far (or perhaps I skipped it)- war is its main theme and we experience it through the main characters lens.

I was going to say this as well - no mention of Flag in a discussion on war based anime has me wondering how many have seen it? It's about war photojournalists and a secret special operations team in the middle of a political/religious war. From the same team responsible for Gasaraki, but it's more focused on near future conflict based on situations that are relative to what has been going on in the middle eastern areas in recent times.
Megotaku88

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Now and Then, Here and There

It deals with the very worst of war, no giant robots except maybe Hellywood but that's more a fortress than a robot. The wars are fought with guns, on land, man to man. Its kind of like watching a series about the Rowandan genocide and the child soldier phenomena through the lens of a slightly fantasy environment. Its dark, its bleak, its depressing, and its all about the realities of modern war in a society with very little natural resources. Great series. Well there are some robots, but the real violence of the series doesn't deal with them.
anijunk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
An anime, set in the Second World War, is First Squad (OAV).

It is a coproduction between Russian and Japanese companies and deals with the war on the eastern front.

The animation is very good, the story is, due to a supernatural setting, completely offbeat. Some flash backs are unneeded and because of the length (on the DVD 57 minutes) there is hardly any character development.
ooshta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Well I don't know what you,ve watched so I don't want to duplicate your list, or what type of war stuff you like. I'll start off with "Black Lagoon series,Valkyria Chronicles,SaiKano, and the Appleseed movies. I've watched all the these and their war type not a mecha shows except last one. One of the char. is a cyborg. Hope You like them.
nerriesantra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Blood + close to what you are looking:P
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
What about Utawarerumono, just finished watching that one made me think about the topic title, although in a ancient time they are at war with the imperial government and still use bows & arrows, swords and catapults as canons. Although there are guns shown.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Looks like most of the ones I would have listed have been mentioned..special note on seveal:

Zipang IS dubbed fully all the episodes of it and it does cover war both modern and WWII in some very interesting ways..and also covers some subjects not seen in any other anime or hardly any movie ...ie the Burma Railway, and the IJN fleet and both famous ships and figures...

Crest of the Stars, Banner of the Stars IS indeed one of the most remarkable anime SCI fi series yet made, beautiful and well done and the dub is very good too, a remarkable tour de force and it deals with war and the amazing impersonal fate that often occurs in battles...

anther unusual view of war is The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, both a comedy and a serious look at war.

There are a ton of Samurai related series but few of them deal with the underlying reason for the evolution of the samurai class or the very ritualized nature of feudal conflict.....modern conflict is ritualized too for that matter.....

good topic.
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Seconding/thirding Now and Then, Here and There. Best anti-war anime made not called Grave of the Firefiles, really!

Twelve Kingdoms and Berserk have a lot of politicking/fantasy battles and are both pretty damn smart, but aren't strictly war dramas. Legend of the Galactic Heroes is pretty damn epic, and supposedly deals with conflict at every level of society, but I haven't seen much of it so I can't tell you a lot else. Eureka Seven touches on child soldiers during its run, but battlefield conflict isn't the focus. Fullmetal Alchemist also has a pretty great (and disturbing) segment focusing on the military ethnic cleansing of Ishbal, although you'd have to see the rest of the series in order to put it into context.

Alternatively, if you were in the mood for something incredibly unconventional and were okay with stuff like aircraft powered by lesbianism (blatant oversimplification) you could try Simoun. It's overtly fantastical and pretty strongly yuri, but it's also genuinely fascinating in how it examines how religion and war intersect, and how the pilots of the titular vehicles--held up as models of purity--are both stained with blood and marooned in a state of perpetual childhood/adolescence. It's taking on the issue from a very different viewpoint, but if you have an open mind and can take a slow start you might find it interesting. Might be in no way what you're looking for, though.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
Zipang IS dubbed fully all the episodes of it...

The dub is pretty bad from what I've heard. Not just, "Not as good as the Japanese performances," but actively bad. I would recommend listening to the show in Japanese and reading the subs.
anijunk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
Just received the DVD of Anne no Nikki (The Diary of Anne Frank).

Definitely a war anime, and the story of perhaps the best known victim (by name) of the Holocaust.

I have scheduled it to watch it on 4th May, Remembrance Day in my country.

I hope it will be as gripping as Barefoot Gen (on the atomic bomb on Hirosjima) or the already mentioned Grave of the Fireflies. Why? Because it is beyond comprehension that such kind of genocide could happen in this civilized world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7