• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Adds Slayers Revolution, Evolution-R Fantasy Sequels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Though I imagine the biggest thing isn't getting the show for free, it's being able to see it concurrently to when the Japanese do.

Why is this so important anyway? I never really understood the seemingly unquenchable need to see anime shows 2 seconds after they air in Japan.

The reason; because of the high pace society we've become. Though not everyone is like that, some fans want the show as quickly as possible. I've been watching anime for seven years, so that is what I think.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
WOOHOO!

I'm a huge Slayers fan, and while I guessed that this was going to be announced sooner, rather than later, the news is still pretty darn awesome. All I can hope is that they bring the old cast back....having someone else do Zelgadis wouldn't feel quite right.
ashez2ashes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I hope they get the original dub cast for Slayers. I'll definitly be checking out the digital distro copies as long as its the original dub cast and/or subtitled. I'll buy a boxset later on too. Heh, this is the first time an anime companies managed to lure me to buy a digi copy... congrats Funi.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Zac wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Though I imagine the biggest thing isn't getting the show for free, it's being able to see it concurrently to when the Japanese do.

Why is this so important anyway? I never really understood the seemingly unquenchable need to see anime shows 2 seconds after they air in Japan.

The reason; because of the high pace society we've become. Though not everyone is like that, some fans want the show as quickly as possible. I've been watching anime for seven years, so that is what I think.

walw6pK4Alo hit the nail on the head with his response. It's not that we're a fast paced society, but rather than we're an impatient society that has had it's self-entitlement complex enabled by the Internet.

The Internet is great for consumers, in the end "we" win because of the Internet. But, ironically, we win absolutely nothing.

So I get to watch Tales of the Abyss right now. Would my life be any worse if I was watching Gurren Lagann now, and Tales of the Abyss in six months?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for simultaneous,international releases. But until those are common place, I don't need to watch fansubs of shows that will be out on R1 DVD in 6-18 months.

-t
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote
We're a greedy society that demands instant gratification. I mean...anything else need to be said?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Zac wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

walw6pK4Alo hit the nail on the head with his response. It's not that we're a fast paced society, but rather than we're an impatient society that has had it's self-entitlement complex enabled by the Internet.

The Internet is great for consumers, in the end "we" win because of the Internet. But, ironically, we win absolutely nothing.

So I get to watch Tales of the Abyss right now. Would my life be any worse if I was watching Gurren Lagann now, and Tales of the Abyss in six months?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for simultaneous,international releases. But until those are common place, I don't need to watch fansubs of shows that will be out on R1 DVD in 6-18 months.

-t

Your completely right, I suppose impatience is really the problem. In many ways the Internet has opened several postive changes, but has also created self entitlement. Makes me wonder how this problem started though.

Thank you for reading and responding to my post though Tempest.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Great news about Slayers! I hope they get Lisa Ortiz instead of Cynthia Martinez for the English dub.
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I'm going to give a second, more logical explanation: fans outside Japan are an important audience too. Maybe it's time Japanese producers started recognizing that instead of treating them as crazy foreigners?
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
tiredgamer wrote:
Zac wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I'm going to give a second, more logical explanation: fans outside Japan are an important audience too. Maybe it's time Japanese producers started recognizing that instead of treating them as crazy foreigners?

*Sigh* And here is the problem that's pervaded Japanese thinking for so long, that we aren't open to enjoying their shows. As anyone with a working knowledge of how their culture is knows, Japan is irritatingly resistant to change. Stubbornness, and perhaps a touch of xenophobia, are what seem to drive the thought that foreigners can't appreciate what they do. Yet strangely, they import things of ours, like trends, cultural notions, hell, even anime itself was heavily influenced by the drawing style of early American animation.

For a culture that borrows so much from others, innit a bit ironic they think we can't appreciate stuff from them? You know what company is actually moving forward, though? Capcom, because they've started to develop games that can appeal to both Japanese and American audiences. If only more anime execs could take that kind of bold step forward.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
With 4Kids going under, I hope they pick up some "new" talent. I love the VAs Funi have but some are getting old playing pretty much every other part.

I'm crossing my fingers but I doubt i'll hear the real Lina again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:43 am Reply with quote
[quote="Unit 03.5-ish"]
tiredgamer wrote:
Zac wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

The truth is they like our money but they don't really like the idea of western anime fans. It's all good when we're buying our Yuki Nagato figures but they blame us for problems in the industry. They don't care what we want because we are just outsiders anyway. It's because they see our pop culture and have preconceived notions of us. Everything from our attitudes to stereotypes of the different races that live here. Not to say we don't have these things and all but with that bit of xenophobia and nationalism they have we are always going to be the gaijin with no input even though the anime community is a devoted and money spending one.

As a fan of the lolita subculture I see it all the time. They love Alice in wonderland and Rococo period dress and to them it's a very "japanese thing" but they don't even know why they are using the term Lolita for their style of dress a lot of the time.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Uhg, why do we have to wait an extra year for the DVD release after the digital release?

I still much prefer DVDs and I don't want to have to pay for a digital release just so I don't have to wait an extra year to see it and then pay again for the DVDs.
braves

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:
Uhg, why do we have to wait an extra year for the DVD release after the digital release?

Keep in mind that the 2nd series hasn't even aired yet. And the Japanese company probably isn't interested in near simultaneous releases involving the U.S.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:56 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
SoloButterfly wrote:

Keep in mind that the 2nd series hasn't even aired yet. And the Japanese company probably isn't interested in near simultaneous releases involving the U.S.

Yeah, if you think of the entire "Slayers Revolution" project as coming out on R1 DVD a year after the yet-to-air Slayers Evolution-R rather than almost 2 years after Slayers Revolution, it doesn't seem quite so bad...
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:14 am Reply with quote
FanFicGuru wrote:
Slayers revolution will appeal to some new fans, to be sure...but I think the main pull will be towards the older fans who have jobs and typically buy the box sets/DVDs of shows they like.

Seeing as they won't start releasing the DVDs until 2010, and if they release in singles, we won't see a complete box set until 2012
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7