• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yamato, Macross Director Noboru Ishiguro Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basroil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote
So sad. Sad

Thanks for all the great shows Ishiguro-san.

I was so looking forward to seeing him at Animazement in May.
jcaliff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
While I'm sad to hear that Mr. Ishiguro has passed away, I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Ishiguro at Anime Expo many years ago and to hear him speak at the LoGH panel. Obviously I'm a huge fan of his work. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
RIP. Crying or Very sad
His anime made me the fan I am today.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm in awe of Ishiguro's body of work. Just Macross and DYRL would be enough to make him a god in my eyes, but to know he also directed or co-directed Yamato, Megazone 23 and LotGH makes me realize he was one of the most important names in the history of Japanese science fiction, animated or otherwise.
ly000001

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
For those interested, we were fortunate enough to conduct two interviews with Mr. Ishiguro, a one-on-one sitdown in 2008 and a press conference at Otakon in 2009. Even between those two and the previously-linked Otakon 2011 panel, we still didn't get to ask him everything we would have wanted to; a testament to just how influential and knowledgeable the man was. It looks like now we won't have the chance.

Coincidentally, the Japanese Blu-Ray for Macross: Do You Remember Love? was only just announced. I understand a great deal of people have perhaps never seen anything Ishiguro was involved with, so if you find yourself reading this headline and got far enough in that you clicked on the forum comments and read this far without knowing much of the man's works, consider giving that one a look.

On the off-chance somebody has wandered into this thread without any previous knowledge of Mr. Ishiguro's works, check out AWO's podcast #50, which covers both Megazone 23 Pt. 1 and DYRL. As Gerald says on it, "I think anime fans should watch 'Megazone 23'; I think anime fans must watch 'DYRL'"

Last edited by ly000001 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
It's sad that Mr. Noburo Ishiguro passed away. Macross is one of my favorite show and he fostered then-new talents like Shoji Kawamori and Hideaki Anno into Japanese animation industry

Anyway, here's Mushishi behind-the-scene manga

Ishiguro as Yamoto's Captain.. 2 guys in the middle are Nagahama (dir. Mushishi) and Umakoshi (character design: Mushishi, Berserk TV, Pretty Cure franchise, Casshern Sin)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4