• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Blockbuster Hires Advisors, US Virgin Megastores to Close

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluesheep02

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
Come on America, you can do it...this economy is getting to be too much. If everyone stopped laying off everyone, then people would still buy things, and the economy wouldn't be so bad...sigh
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
something sad about Virgin Megastores closing, just feels like a sign of how much the American lifestyle has been changed by this economy Sad

Tower Records is probably next.
EricDent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
Most of that particular chain is allready gone (Tower Records that is), at least the ones I knew of in the Seattle area (I used to live there).

Hope Blockbuster does not close down.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
something sad about Virgin Megastores closing, just feels like a sign of how much the American lifestyle has been changed by this economy Sad

Tower Records is probably next.

Tower Records went bankrupt in the US years ago.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
To be honest, the online selection and actual store copy selection of anime are as diffrent as night and day. I'll probably sound repetive for saying this but, you have to use money to make money.

If Blockbuster didn't do what Netflix did though, I am pretty sure the store would have eventually had to close. Though I think Netflix is much better, going online was a smart move. But in the economy right now, almost anyone could lose their job.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
Not that I've rented an anime from Blockbuster in about 4 years due to the overall lack of it, but it would be a shame if Blockbuster went under, since I actually like the visceral experience of browsing physical DVD and videogame boxes in a bricks-and-mortar retail store, and the other video rental chain locations around where I live just don't have the same selection.

I'm really too old fashioned to care all that much about online rentals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry but this is a worthless article. To the average reader it doesn't point them in the right direction at all.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
As far as physical music stores, it's simply that the disruption of downloading music came finally come in. It's far easier to download a song (illegaly or legally) and put it on your iPod than it is to go and buy the CD from a store. I think the only way I'd want to buy a CD these days is if it's a Macross OST or Fire Bomber album. Otherwise I prefer vinyl, not for the sound, but because I love the huge album art.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
bluesheep02 wrote:
Come on America, you can do it...this economy is getting to be too much. If everyone stopped laying off everyone, then people would still buy things, and the economy wouldn't be so bad...sigh

The Blockbuster near me closed down last month, and now we've only got one video rental place here, which happens to be a small regional chain.

Why did the economy have to get the way it is? What went wrong and why?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:02 am Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
bluesheep02 wrote:

Housing market was a catalyst for the downfall. I forget the overall cause, but it's not a simple thing. I only wish I had the money to afford a home for myself, since it's a buyers market. Luckily we won't have a true crash because there's ways to protect against that. But there's no way to really stop a gradual downward spiral.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:03 am Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:

Really not at all interested in a big pack of anime fans rambling about their personal economic theories, this isn't the thread for it.
dm85

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
Hopefully Blockbuster stays on it's feet. Their anime selection may not be as good as Netflix, but it's better then nothing.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
Actually, Blockbuster and Virgin went under long before the suckonomy. BB lost its power when DVD came along, because those things didn't cost a fortune to produce and sell like VHS. Virgin went under, because it invested in ventures no one wanted, while failing to compete with Best Buy over the ventures which made it a success in the first place.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
Wow... news that's not directly involving anime sure is old when it comes here. I found out the Virgin here in San Francisco is closing a week ago... my best friend is really sad, he shopped there all the time for DVDs he couldn't find elsewhere... I should point out he doesn't know how to use amazon.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
Was Virgin actually carrying anime?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3