• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Visual Novel in HTML

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I've been curious about something for a period of time now, and I hope this is the right place to ask it. Local HTML files, or even something online, seems to be an ideal solution for Visual Novel development. Every possible image for a character could be developed and placed into a directory, and the story could be followed by links and text. As long as variables were never necessary, it would work perfectly, and it would solve compatibility problems. After all, anyone with a web browser that could display text and images could play. In fact, developers of kinetic novels with no choices would probably benefit the most.

To better illustrate what I'm trying to say, pretend a game starts on an HTML page with a static image and text beneath. There is a link to continue that is tied into the next page, which displays perhaps the same image or a different one with more text. When choices come up, the player need only select a different link. In fact, an organization called Project Aon has been doing this to the Lone Wolf game books developed by Joe Dever.

Has this ever been implemented? If not...why hasn't it?
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
The problem is that in 'pure' HTML your capabilities are very limited - not very many VNs could avoid the problem. A better route would be a Java-based VN, which would allow all the flexibility the devs could want with all the portability you could desire.
Nagito

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:02 am Reply with quote
I like the idea but there is this one thing that I feel I have to point out.
A visual novel is a combination of text, pictures, sound and music. To display all of this smoothly in a HTML environment may require a fast network and this just doesn't available everywhere. I mean, you don't want to wait 5-10 minutes just to load one scene, right?

Well, I'm no expert on HTML but that's what I think.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
HTML has nothing to do with networking.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
The problem is that in 'pure' HTML your capabilities are very limited - not very many VNs could avoid the problem.

Could you please explain that?
I am asking because I am not very familiar with visual novels and I am wondering now if they are something different from what I thought them to be.
I thought that a visual novel was primarily a series of different story paths that the reader chose by making a decision about which path to follow. That is something that HTML does very well.
HTML is also good for page layout and integrating graphics and audio. When I saw the title of this thread I thought that it was a great idea because it could make visual novels more accessible to some people, including me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Polycell wrote:
The problem is that in 'pure' HTML your capabilities are very limited - not very many VNs could avoid the problem.

Could you please explain that?
I am asking because I am not very familiar with visual novels and I am wondering now if they are something different from what I thought them to be.
I thought that a visual novel was primarily a series of different story paths that the reader chose by making a decision about which path to follow. That is something that HTML does very well.
HTML is also good for page layout and integrating graphics and audio. When I saw the title of this thread I thought that it was a great idea because it could make visual novels more accessible to some people, including me.
It's mostly the presentation - to the best of my knowledge HTML isn't able to pull off a number of things VNs use(a lot of VNs also sprinkle in elements of traditional games). There's also the question of video support, which isn't nearly as standard as you'd think(you can thank Apple for borking that one). There's a wider variety of options available with Javascript, but I don't think it comes anywhere near capable of replicating the experience of a native program; that said, I'm not too familiar with the exact capabilities of HTML and Javascript, though I do know for sure that Java is capable of a fancy VN.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I am assuming that the actual novel would be not just the HTML file but also any necessary binary files for audio and graphics.
Reading an HTML visual novel would be just like browsing a web site.
At least that is what I am thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I was actually considering an extremely simple choosing your own adventure like pathway. It would only need the ability to access hyperlinks and display JPEG or GIF images. I've played many visual novels without bells and whistles. Kinetic novels don't even really need much of anything. In fact, I guess a simple Kinetic novel could ship as a large archive of JPEG or GIF files with the text added right on the bottom of the images. Each of the files would have a name like 1.jpg, 2.jpg and an image viewer could be used to scroll through them. That being said, your idea of using Java would be great, especially with how rapidly support for Java platforms have grown. If I'm not mistaken, more computers are equipped with Java runtime files than with Flash plugins.
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
There's no reason it couldn't be done, as long as you're not looking for complicated interactions, but I can't think of any advantage it would have over compiled code either. A major issue I can think of is that the player would have direct access to all of the assets, which basically means they're not obligated to actually "play"; they can just jump to whatever they want to look at.

I don't think I can see any VNs that are actually sold using this, but it should be fine for a free to play one made for fun.
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
To my credit, I was thinking of only simple designs, and I fully realize that a player could start anywhere. However, if anyone is familiar with the designs offered by Project Aon, they could do it there as well. I was thinking the advantage could be portability. Developing Visual Novels in this manner would run equally well on many different types of machines. Embedded devices and Pocket PCs would work just well as mobile devices and desktops to play one of these.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
There's no reason it couldn't be done, as long as you're not looking for complicated interactions, but I can't think of any advantage it would have over compiled code either.

I like the idea of not having to run an executable file on my computer, other than my web browser.
I think that the portability of HTML would be better than any compiled code.

Quote:
A major issue I can think of is that the player would have direct access to all of the assets, which basically means they're not obligated to actually "play"; they can just jump to whatever they want to look at.

I would see that as an advantage, for me, but I can understand that the people selling the game might not want me to to be able to make my own rules and actually change the game to suit myself. Copyright infringement would probably be a big problem.

Quote:
I don't think I can see any VNs that are actually sold using this, but it should be fine for a free to play one made for fun.

Yeah, I think that if it is done it will probably be something more along the line of fan fiction rather than a professional commercial product.
Visual novel doujinshi is an intriguing possibility.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
The benefit of that sort of doujinshi is that it could be hosted on a very simple website. I could imagine some people developing that sort of thing, getting appropriate hosting and a domain for it, and then collecting a small amount of money on the resulting advertising revenues. It wouldn't be much, but I'm guessing in theory it would be a better profit than simply asking people for donations.

Naturally, I'm not actually trying to say that I'm going to start such a project. I'm not a manga or VN artist by any means. However, I thought it was pretty interesting as a thought experiment if nothing else.
jorgea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Html might actually limit you in what you are trying to do.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Bumping a slightly old thread, but this is relevant. I was recently browsing a website, http://vndb.org (the visual novel database), and I noticed that one of the listed platforms that you could search by was "website."

Now, I don't know whether any of these are pure html, or whether they all use things like flash and java, as I haven't really checked them out much. There might be some that just use html though.

Please be warned, some (a lot) of the visual novels listed on that site are DEFINITELY NSFW (and potentially not even legal depending on you country), and obviously any links to web based visual novels could lead you to who knows what sort of content, so be aware of this before going there. Though by default the site seems to not display any NSFW screenshots unless you tell it to, it's possible something might slip by.

Below is a link to the search for web based VNs, for your convenience.

http://vndb.org/v/all?q=&fil=plat-web
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Having given the link a quick glance, I was placed under the impression that a couple of these links were MMORPG sites that you can join. A few of these were also flash games like you had expected. It seems pretty interesting. I only got a high speed Internet connection this year since I was sort of behind the times, so all of this is really new to me. If I wanted to do anything online on dialup I had to wait for hours.

Therefore, I'm gladly going to check out the stuff here. Thank you for that link. Would you like me to let you know if there's anything particularly interesting?

Naturally, I would make a note if there were anything that's clearly not safe for work. After all, these are visual novels that we're talking about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2