• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Zatch Bell on Cartoon Network

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenshin5000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, this came out of the blue...

Nice to see Toonami get a new show that doesn't involve giant robots or fighting tournaments.
CloakBass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:41 pm Reply with quote
```````````````````````

Last edited by CloakBass on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:54 pm Reply with quote
How does something like this happen where an anime gets licensed and nobody knows about it?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:06 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
How does something like this happen where an anime gets licensed and nobody knows about it?

The licensing was announced June 12th by ShoPro, which is Viz's sister company.

animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=5084
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Is that why Inuyasha on the release list, half of the DVD's are listed as being released by ShoPro and the other half as VIZ?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:

The licensing was announced June 12th by ShoPro, which is Viz's sister company.

animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=5084

This has been gone over time and time again... Shopro is not a licensor. They are a middleman like Enokifilms. Someone else then buys the license from them. (Viz for IY, 4kids for SonicX, etc).

Also, just another clarification note, the series is not 52 episodes. The article reads that they have 52 episodes of the series. The series is currently on ep 75 and still going on.
drakh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:47 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
This has been gone over time and time again... Shopro is not a licensor. They are a middleman like Enokifilms. Someone else then buys the license from them. (Viz for IY, 4kids for SonicX, etc).

Actually, they're both. Some of their shows have been sublicensed to others, but they produced the US releases of Hamtaro and Megaman NT Warrior themselves.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Zatch Bell. Interesting translation. COuld have sworn they did say the 'g' sound. Whatever. I'm guessing they're gonna paint underwear on for the nudity. Haven't seen much else objectionable. Mostly fantasy violence.

Well.. as long as they still ahve the mighty and fearful VOLCAN 300 who can shoot 1000 missles a second..

-Xenos
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Is this a full-fledged mahou shounen show at long last?

I have a young friend who is heavily into mahou shoujo and he often wonders if there are mahou shounen shows as well, and usually the only magical boys I can come up with are sidekicks, with Ultra Maniac being about the closest thing I've ever seen to straight mahou shounen. Might be interesting. I wonder if we'll get it on YTV?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:14 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Zatch Bell. Interesting translation. COuld have sworn they did say the 'g' sound. Whatever. I'm guessing they're gonna paint underwear on for the nudity. Haven't seen much else objectionable. Mostly fantasy violence.

Well.. as long as they still ahve the mighty and fearful VOLCAN 300 who can shoot 1000 missles a second..

-Xenos

To explain the Gash/Zatch change. This is not a translation. The name was changed because of issues with the word Gash on tv and advertisers. This information comes directly from Viz.

This is not mahou shounen. It is more like pokemon.... but its not pokemon. There are no "magical boys". (Note, Ultra Maniac is a shoujo series.)
Nokoru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:25 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Haven't seen much else objectionable. Mostly fantasy violence.

Well, there is "Chichi o Moge." I have a feeling Folgore's little ditty about the glory of breasts won't get past the censors. Ah, well. As long as they replace it with something equally stick-to-your-brain insidious, I'll be happy.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(Note, Ultra Maniac is a shoujo series.)

I know that, I just meant mahou shounen in that there are magical boy characters besides there being magical girl characters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1