• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Queen's Blade: Rebellion's Branwen, Luna Luna Promos Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
:/

Because schlock like this exists in the anime world, shows that actually have artistic merit get shafted.

1) "artistic merit" Rolling Eyes All shows require uncommon, specialized, artistic skills and talent to produce. That means that Queens Blade also has artistic merit.

2) Since QB does have merit by any objective standards, even if the artistic skills is applied in a way you don't like, we have to restate what you mean instead as heavy fanservice

You are implying that there is some kind of inherent mutual exclusion. If you are right, that the majority of people only buys these types of shows at the expense of others, then other types of shows would not be made. Yet year after year, we see that is not the case in the slightest. How do you explain that for this past winter season alone, out of 30 shows, or about 26 excluding shorts/specials, only one show, Highschool DxD, is like this, with heavy ecchi and nudity? (I can concede including Listen to Me, Girls. I Am Your Father if you want to include something much tamer)

How do you explain the existence of Brave 10, Mouretsu Pirates, Natsume Yuujinchou Shi, Aquarion Evol, Ano Natsu de Matteru, Daily Lives of Highschool Boys, Another, just to name some of the others for the past season... and sports shows like Prince of Tennis 2 and The Knight in the Area--you know, that shounen soccer show--kinds of shows that are also continuously made?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:42 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
That means nothing. All it proves is that Otaku don't care about artistic merit or worth.
Looks like you're getting your entertainment from the wrong industry. How many threads have you hopped into to declare "rarr, this kind of show is killing anime" and when does it become soapboxing?

Otaku trash has been killing anime since the 80s. Nay, since the 70s if you trace it back to Cutey Honey. Anime sure is dying constantly, isn't it? Japanese PTAs complained about Maicching Machiko Sensei having too much ecchi and sexual content, and that anime is 31 years old. Having seen only the first two episodes, my impression is that it's kind of a precursor to works like Mitsudomoe no Kodomo no Jikan.

And what exactly is "artistic merit"? Heavy dialog and focus on deep subject matter only? I for one don't want to see anime only be a Ghibli and Oshii world, that would be dreadful even if I do like both of them. And it's not as if Chagen even has an argument to stand on, there's a few "artistic merit" shows airing next season and Queen's Blade isn't stopping any one of them from getting made. I guess people complaining about anime sucking now and not everything being a Cowboy Bebop or GitS clone are a staple of anime fandom, and those arguments have been around even before GitS was made. Like people complaining about Sailor Moon and Slayers and asking whatever happened to Queen Millennia or Harlock-like shows.

I love space and military shows the most, but I also love that anime can give us ecchi schoolgirl harem shows or fantasy or shows to relax to. I just ask the producers give it them budgets and try hard to make a good result, regardless of content.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:24 am Reply with quote
eh, GitS sucked anyways, glad they don't make too many things like that. Transhumanism never works as a theme. Confused

That said, "artistic merit" is probably one of the most subjective and most overrated quality imaginable. Noone can agree what it even is to begin with.

First, how does any anime lack "artistic merit" in the first place? Just a single minor conversation takes up hours of work animating character movements, character design is taken into account, and even background music is taken into consideration.

Now if we talk about Queen's Blade, it has fight scenes, which requires more attention to movements than a simple conversation, and it has exceptionally wild character designs thanks to it's source materials.

And even if it lacked artistic merit...how does that hurt anime in anyway?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:53 am Reply with quote
Transhumanism always works as a theme.
scineram

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
:/

Because schlock like this exists in the anime world, shows that actually have artistic merit get shafted.

People like this are the Cancer Killing Anime.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
CR currently has both QB seasons (neither one was a simulcast, I don't think), so perhaps that suggests getting a simulcast of Rebellion isn't totally out of the question?

Both were acquired as library titles from Media Blasters. If CR acquired Rebellion as a simulcast, it would have to be without and possibly in competition with Media Blasters.
Dakaran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:53 am Reply with quote
Aya Endo in Queen's Blade ... . . .... /shock Shocked
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:43 am Reply with quote
So, Branwen is like Bane? Laughing

Chagen46 wrote:

Every entertainment industry has that, even Hollywood/Bollywood/Wire-Fu/etc. Why expect difference? Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2