• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madman To Release Card Captor Sakura and Rozen Maiden Overture

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
partially

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
shadee88 wrote:

Given the release is now barely a couple of weeks away, it isn't going to change at this point.

jymmy wrote:
This is amazing news about CCS but damnit why u no Blu-Ray?! I mean, I'll probably buy them anyway, but still Sad

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think Madman has ever fully authored their own Blu-Rays... in my experience their discs have always been a carbon copy of whomever they licence off with a Madman logo slapped on the front and some trailers added. So they would have to author their own menus and whatnot, which I have never seen Madman do for a HD anime release.
shadee88

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:48 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:
shadee88 wrote:

Given the release is now barely a couple of weeks away, it isn't going to change at this point.

jymmy wrote:
This is amazing news about CCS but damnit why u no Blu-Ray?! I mean, I'll probably buy them anyway, but still Sad

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think Madman has ever fully authored their own Blu-Rays... in my experience their discs have always been a carbon copy of whomever they licence off with a Madman logo slapped on the front and some trailers added. So they would have to author their own menus and whatnot, which I have never seen Madman do for a HD anime release.

"
Given the release is now barely a couple of weeks away, it isn't going to change at this point."

I'm sure they'll consider that for future? Why not?

If not, they are in direct competition with online fansubs.

Such an idiot choice!!! Releasing sub-only when Animax dubbed the show too.
madmangohan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:11 am Reply with quote
shadee88 wrote:

So? Being in contention with online fansubs certainly hasn't stopped Siren from releasing a constant stream of sub only titles into the market. And judging by how they've grown recently, it must be doing them well.

Society is inherently lazy. When given the choice to either wait a while for free, or pony up some dollars to have it now, they regularly choose the latter. Quite a bit of our economy rides on this laziness.

Plus, there are people who actually want to support the anime industry, and will be purchasing titles on that principal alone. That and the-only-reason-cds-still-exist matter of owning a legal physical copy of a release compared to a disc you just burnt with downloaded files.

shadee88 wrote:

There's a very good chance it's contract related why they can't do it.

Animax Asia (who did the dub) only have a license to cover television broadcasting in South East Asia. Unless approval can be sought from both Animax Asia and the Japanese license holders, it will never be nothing more than a pipe dream. And that's assuming Madman went directly from the main Japanese license holder, and not some middle man or America.

It's sort of like Channel 10 wanting to release Channel 9's edition of Big Brother onto DVD. Could it happen? Yes. But would everybody on the way want good money for this favour? Certainly.

In the end, the costs would probably far out-way any benefit of doing so. Plus not to mention the Animax dub is not what we got in Australia, or any native English country to begin with. It may as well be a recording of the series between you and some mates for all that matters.

Oh, and did I mention Animax Asia is owned by Sony Picture Entertainment? Yeah, I don't think I need to say any more as to why it wont happen, at least under Madman's banner.
shadee88

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
madmangohan wrote:
shadee88 wrote:

So? Being in contention with online fansubs certainly hasn't stopped Siren from releasing a constant stream of sub only titles into the market. And judging by how they've grown recently, it must be doing them well.

Society is inherently lazy. When given the choice to either wait a while for free, or pony up some dollars to have it now, they regularly choose the latter. Quite a bit of our economy rides on this laziness.

Plus, there are people who actually want to support the anime industry, and will be purchasing titles on that principal alone. That and the-only-reason-cds-still-exist matter of owning a legal physical copy of a release compared to a disc you just burnt with downloaded files.

shadee88 wrote:

There's a very good chance it's contract related why they can't do it.

Animax Asia (who did the dub) only have a license to cover television broadcasting in South East Asia. Unless approval can be sought from both Animax Asia and the Japanese license holders, it will never be nothing more than a pipe dream. And that's assuming Madman went directly from the main Japanese license holder, and not some middle man or America.

It's sort of like Channel 10 wanting to release Channel 9's edition of Big Brother onto DVD. Could it happen? Yes. But would everybody on the way want good money for this favour? Certainly.

In the end, the costs would probably far out-way any benefit of doing so. Plus not to mention the Animax dub is not what we got in Australia, or any native English country to begin with. It may as well be a recording of the series between you and some mates for all that matters.

Oh, and did I mention Animax Asia is owned by Sony Picture Entertainment? Yeah, I don't think I need to say any more as to why it wont happen, at least under Madman's banner.

"
So? Being in contention with online fansubs certainly hasn't stopped Siren from releasing a constant stream of sub only titles into the market. And judging by how they've grown recently, it must be doing them well."

Then Explain why Funi won't license 2nd season of Kodacha, Big Windup, etc.

"Animax Asia (who did the dub) only have a license to cover television broadcasting in South East Asia. Unless approval can be sought from both Animax Asia and the Japanese license holders, it will never be nothing more than a pipe dream. And that's assuming Madman went directly from the main Japanese license holder, and not some middle man or America."

Well, Animax asia no longer has the rights to that show. So I wonder what happens there. The dub track just can't sit lying there... ???

"
In the end, the costs would probably far out-way any benefit of doing so. Plus not to mention the Animax dub is not what we got in Australia, or any native English country to begin with. It may as well be a recording of the series between you and some mates for all that matters. "

I wish I can contact Madman just to make sure. Well, the only way people can watch Animax Dub is by watching recorded copies online.

"Oh, and did I mention Animax Asia is owned by Sony Picture Entertainment?"

So. Madman can still try and ask instead of being ignorant.
madmangohan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
shadee88 wrote:

Because they didn't sell well enough to make it profitable.
Believe it or not, companies are in this business to make money.
If a title isn't pulling in a profit, why exactly should they keep releasing it?

Funimation has always had a habit of cutting series half way through for years. They did it twice to DBZ alone, and that title has made them squillions over the years. Cutting their losses is one reason they're so well off financially compared to their rivals.

shadee88 wrote:

Well, Animax asia no longer has the rights to that show. So I wonder what happens there. The dub track just can't sit lying there... ???

Why not? What do you think happens to everything else that gets shown on TV?

Depending on the contract signed, the rights to the dub may still remain Animax Asia's property. But with no license for the series, they can do nothing with them. There's a good chance they had a contract clause covering the use of the dub afterwards, but I would have no idea what that entailed.
Hell, they may have been told to destroy it for all that matters.

shadee88 wrote:

I wish I can contact Madman just to make sure. Well, the only way people can watch Animax Dub is by watching recorded copies online.

http://www.madman.com.au/actions/about.do?pageId=2
Knock yourself out.

The thing is, as I said last reply, the Animax dub is not what we got in Australia. It is not the one people will recognise here. Most people probably don't know that it even exists in the first place.
Plus it wont match the movies which use the US cast and have Madison instead of Tomoyo.

The ideal solution would be to release both the Nelvada and Animax dubs, but have you got a crapton of money to give Madman to make it possible? I don't think so.

shadee88 wrote:
Sony have their own publishing division here, so why let Madman do it when they could release it themselves? Of course Madman's contract likely stops any chance of Sony doing so right now, so barring a lot of money crossing hands, nothing will likely change for another few years.

Honestly though, what makes you think Madman didn't consider it at some stage? Just because it didn't happen?
shadee88

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
madmangohan wrote:
shadee88 wrote:

Because they didn't sell well enough to make it profitable.
If a title isn't pulling in a profit, why exactly should they keep releasing it?

Funimation has always had a habit of cutting series half way through for years. They did it twice to DBZ alone, and that title has made them squillions over the years. Cutting their losses is one reason they're so well off financially compared to their rivals.

shadee88 wrote:

Why not? What do you think happens to everything else that gets shown on TV?

Depending on the contract signed, the rights to the dub may still remain Animax Asia's property. But with no license for the series, they can do nothing with them. There's a good chance they had a contract clause covering the use of the dub afterwards, but I would have no idea what that entailed.
Hell, they may have been told to destroy it for all that matters.

shadee88 wrote:

http://www.madman.com.au/actions/about.do?pageId=2
Knock yourself out.

The thing is, as I said last reply, the Animax dub is not what we got in Australia. It is not the one people will recognise here. Most people probably don't know that it even exists in the first place.
Plus it wont match the movies which use the US cast and have Madison instead of Tomoyo.

The ideal solution would be to release both the Nelvada and Animax dubs, but have you got a crapton of money to give Madman to make it possible? I don't think so.

shadee88 wrote:
Sony have their own publishing division here, so why let Madman do it when they could release it themselves? Of course Madman's contract likely stops any chance of Sony doing so right now, so barring a lot of money crossing hands, nothing will likely change for another few years.

Honestly though, what makes you think Madman didn't consider it at some stage? Just because it didn't happen?

"Because they didn't sell well enough to make it profitable.

Funimation has always had a habit of cutting series half way through for years. They did it twice to DBZ alone, and that title has made them squillions over the years. Cutting their losses is one reason they're so well off financially compared to their rivals. "

I'm sure it's gonna happen for CCS too. Since fansubs were there for several years.

"Hell, they may have been told to destroy it for all that matters. "

I doubt that. They stopped airing Inuyasha (Animax Dub) in 2007, and put it back just now.

Has that even happened before? I doubt that.

"The thing is, as I said last reply, the Animax dub is not what we got in Australia. It is not the one people will recognise here. Most people probably don't know that it even exists in the first place.
Plus it wont match the movies which use the US cast and have Madison instead of Tomoyo."

Animax is also a programming block on the Sci-Fi Channel in Australia. You'll be surprised with how many Australians know Animax.

Also, another question, Madman was able to get Nelvana Dub Cardcaptors easliy, why not Animax Dubs? What makes them different (in terms of licensing?)

"The ideal solution would be to release both the Nelvada and Animax dubs, but have you got a crapton of money to give Madman to make it possible? I don't think so. "

How can u do that? You have to release them on separate DVDs. Animax Dub is uncut and Nelvana Dubs are heavily edited.

"Sony have their own publishing division here, so why let Madman do it when they could release it themselves? Of course Madman's contract likely stops any chance of Sony doing so right now, so barring a lot of money crossing hands, nothing will likely change for another few years. "

Could you rephrase the above paragraph please?

"Honestly though, what makes you think Madman didn't consider it at some stage? Just because it didn't happen?"

Because this is the 1st time Madman ever releasing a show sub-only.

But, I would've prefered if Madman licensed a US company to re-dub that show. That'll be gold gold gold.

BTW, the phone number posted on Madman's website was fake. It led to someone's house.

Also, u don't seem to keen about getting Animax Dubs.
madmangohan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:11 am Reply with quote
shadee88 wrote:
I'm sure it's gonna happen for CCS too. Since fansubs were there for several years.

CCS is being released here in 2 fatpack collections 3 months apart, not the dozen Funimation split things over.
The first release would have to tank in unbelievable numbers for Madman to not release the second pack.
Considering the fanbase here who didn't manage to import the US release (our dollar wasn't exactly good back then), and those overseas who missed out, you honestly think that's going to happen?

shadee88 wrote:

I doubt that. They stopped airing Inuyasha (Animax Dub) in 2007, and put it back just now.

Every series is a different contract. Unless Animax starts re-showing CCS, than you can't prove it right or wrong.
It was a semi sarcastic remark though. In all likelihood they still have the dub, but depending on how they archive, it may not be there forever.

Remember, even NASA overwrote many of their historical tapes Wink

shadee88 wrote:

Animax is also a programming block on the Sci-Fi Channel in Australia. You'll be surprised with how many Australians know Animax.

Are you sure they're using Animax dubs though? The shows they first released with were all licensed here with US dubs, and Animax don't always use their own dubs.

Actually, is Animax even on anymore? The Sci-Fi website doesn't mention anything past 2009, and the only anime they show is now Bebop and Astroboy...

shadee88 wrote:
Also, another question, Madman was able to get Nelvana Dub Cardcaptors easliy, why not Animax Dubs? What makes them different (in terms of licensing?)

That has more to do with how things used to work in the past. For quite a while, Madman used to license their shows from the US companies, therefore being forced to use their gear. CCS unfortunately came about during this time, so naturally Madman licensed it from the US, who naturally gave them their dub.

It'll be of some joy to you though to hear that the sales of Cardcaptors were terrible. They stopped releasing after volume 5 I believe. It did however get a full run on television, but didn't survive long after that.

Now for the most interesting part, and you'll want to read closely. Madman did some years ago change who they licensed anime off. Instead of piggy backing off the US, they licensed straight from Japan. This gave them more options into what they released, and the dubs included.

Now while doing some searching into your questions, I did come across this thread here
More specifically this post:

Slykura from Madman wrote:
We are aware that Animax do their own dubs for the SE Asian market. We've had a few titles released which use said dubs in the past. Hoop Days (aka Dear Boys) and the Japanese TF series' come to mind, so we can release these if possible. However to date there hasn't been any titles that would warrant such a need.

So to answer one of your underlying questions. Yes, Madman have actually used an Animax dub before, and they could again if they wanted to.

Bear in mind however that after I looked further into Hoop Days, the dub was actually done in Canada for Bandai. The reason Slykura said it was Animax is more to do with the fact that it is the same one Animax used on their channel as well, not one they specifically created.

shadee88 wrote:

How can u do that? You have to release them on separate DVDs. Animax Dub is uncut and Nelvana Dubs are heavily edited.

Not exactly. You could just treat the dvd as two halves, one with edited Nelvada, one with uncut Animax, using the menu to switch.
The problem with that simply is that it takes up a lot of space. You would be doubling the video track length, essentially halving the amount of episodes per disc.
Not exactly impossible, but certainly not very attractive.

You could of course just do separate dvd's for each, and just bundle them in the same box for a similar effect.

shadee88 wrote:

Sony runs a distribution company here in Australia, just like Madman. Essentially, you could think of them as competing companies.
If they have something you want, they can either be nice and just give it to you, ask for a hefty price, or just flat out refuse.

Do you really think Sony to be the type of company who'd hand their property over for nothing?
That leaves either lots of money or refusal.
Now by just approaching them in the first place, Sony now understands somebody out there has an idea to make money with that property.
Knowing that, would you rather still sell it to them and watch them make money, or keep it yourself and have all the funds in your wallet?

shadee88 wrote:

Incorrect. The success of Siren and Sentai Filmworks in the US has driven them to test the market more than once already.

shadee88 wrote:

BTW, the phone number posted on Madman's website was fake. It led to someone's house.

Sorry to hear that. Madman recently moved their warehouse, so I figured they would have updated their webpage by now.
Try emailing them at [email protected]

shadee88 wrote:

Far from it.
I just find it a bit bemusing why someone out there is really wanting this dub to get a release when it never got done for any of the US releases, and no one but fans even know of its existence in the first place.
The only thing really going for it at all is the fact it's uncut.

But honestly, is it such a big deal? I mean, had you not known about the Animax dub, would you still be questioning why there isn't a dub with this release? Is it really going to magically drive sales up that much?
shadee88

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
madmangohan wrote:
shadee88 wrote:

CCS is being released here in 2 fatpack collections 3 months apart, not the dozen Funimation split things over.
The first release would have to tank in unbelievable numbers for Madman to not release the second pack.
Considering the fanbase here who didn't manage to import the US release (our dollar wasn't exactly good back then), and those overseas who missed out, you honestly think that's going to happen?

shadee88 wrote:

Every series is a different contract. Unless Animax starts re-showing CCS, than you can't prove it right or wrong.
It was a semi sarcastic remark though. In all likelihood they still have the dub, but depending on how they archive, it may not be there forever.

Remember, even NASA overwrote many of their historical tapes Wink

shadee88 wrote:

Are you sure they're using Animax dubs though? The shows they first released with were all licensed here with US dubs, and Animax don't always use their own dubs.

Actually, is Animax even on anymore? The Sci-Fi website doesn't mention anything past 2009, and the only anime they show is now Bebop and Astroboy...

shadee88 wrote:

That has more to do with how things used to work in the past. For quite a while, Madman used to license their shows from the US companies, therefore being forced to use their gear. CCS unfortunately came about during this time, so naturally Madman licensed it from the US, who naturally gave them their dub.

It'll be of some joy to you though to hear that the sales of Cardcaptors were terrible. They stopped releasing after volume 5 I believe. It did however get a full run on television, but didn't survive long after that.

Now for the most interesting part, and you'll want to read closely. Madman did some years ago change who they licensed anime off. Instead of piggy backing off the US, they licensed straight from Japan. This gave them more options into what they released, and the dubs included.

Now while doing some searching into your questions, I did come across this thread here
More specifically this post:

Slykura from Madman wrote:
We are aware that Animax do their own dubs for the SE Asian market. We've had a few titles released which use said dubs in the past. Hoop Days (aka Dear Boys) and the Japanese TF series' come to mind, so we can release these if possible. However to date there hasn't been any titles that would warrant such a need.

So to answer one of your underlying questions. Yes, Madman have actually used an Animax dub before, and they could again if they wanted to.

Bear in mind however that after I looked further into Hoop Days, the dub was actually done in Canada for Bandai. The reason Slykura said it was Animax is more to do with the fact that it is the same one Animax used on their channel as well, not one they specifically created.

shadee88 wrote:

Not exactly. You could just treat the dvd as two halves, one with edited Nelvada, one with uncut Animax, using the menu to switch.
The problem with that simply is that it takes up a lot of space. You would be doubling the video track length, essentially halving the amount of episodes per disc.
Not exactly impossible, but certainly not very attractive.

You could of course just do separate dvd's for each, and just bundle them in the same box for a similar effect.

shadee88 wrote:

Sony runs a distribution company here in Australia, just like Madman. Essentially, you could think of them as competing companies.
If they have something you want, they can either be nice and just give it to you, ask for a hefty price, or just flat out refuse.

Do you really think Sony to be the type of company who'd hand their property over for nothing?
That leaves either lots of money or refusal.
Now by just approaching them in the first place, Sony now understands somebody out there has an idea to make money with that property.
Knowing that, would you rather still sell it to them and watch them make money, or keep it yourself and have all the funds in your wallet?

shadee88 wrote:

Incorrect. The success of Siren and Sentai Filmworks in the US has driven them to test the market more than once already.

shadee88 wrote:

Sorry to hear that. Madman recently moved their warehouse, so I figured they would have updated their webpage by now.
Try emailing them at [email protected]

shadee88 wrote:

Far from it.
I just find it a bit bemusing why someone out there is really wanting this dub to get a release when it never got done for any of the US releases, and no one but fans even know of its existence in the first place.
The only thing really going for it at all is the fact it's uncut.

But honestly, is it such a big deal? I mean, had you not known about the Animax dub, would you still be questioning why there isn't a dub with this release? Is it really going to magically drive sales up that much?

"Remember, even NASA overwrote many of their historical tapes Wink"

Naw, these days we use DIGITAL STORAGE!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

"Actually, is Animax even on anymore? The Sci-Fi website doesn't mention anything past 2009, and the only anime they show is now Bebop and Astroboy..."

I've done some research on syfy australia and animax and ur correct. They don't have Animax block anymore. Syfy rebranded itself.

"It'll be of some joy to you though to hear that the sales of Cardcaptors were terrible. They stopped releasing after volume 5 I believe. It did however get a full run on television, but didn't survive long after that."

6 volumes IIRC. Pinoeer released only 9 volumes in the US because the sales were terrible and the Subtitled-only uncut version outsold the dub.

"We are aware that Animax do their own dubs for the SE Asian market. We've had a few titles released which use said dubs in the past. Hoop Days (aka Dear Boys) and the Japanese TF series' come to mind, so we can release these if possible. However to date there hasn't been any titles that would warrant such a need."

Hoop days is not Animax dubs. Its a Ocean Dub that was just aired on Animax.

This is as funny as just like calling Funimation's Fullmetal Alchemist Animax Dub, or calling Viz Media's Bleach Animax Dub, or Sony's Blood+ as animax dub, just because it aired on that channel?

Is that madman staff stupid or something?

Animax has aired several US Dubs back in the past. Nowadays the only US dub remaining is Cardfight Vanguard (Canadian).

Only Animax Dubs remaining are Inuyasha, and Season 3 of Fairy Tail.

Rest are all subbed Sad

"You could of course just do separate dvd's for each, and just bundle them in the same box for a similar effect."

Thats amusing and peculiar too. Laughing

"Sorry to hear that. Madman recently moved their warehouse, so I figured they would have updated their webpage by now.
Try emailing them at [email protected]"

I should hope so. Does Madman even know that Animax Dubbed Cardcaptor?

"Far from it.
The only thing really going for it at all is the fact it's uncut."

Why do u find it bemusing? Lot of people say some dub is better than no dub. Animax's Cardcaptor is one of the most known Animax Dub compared to the rest. Lot of fans from US, UK, Australia know about it. Lot of people want Animax Dubs.

Not only it's uncut, the voices really matched the personality of the characters, Andrea Kwan sounded so cute when She voiced Sakura Kinimoto, Candace Moore's voice fit Syaoran okay, etc, etc, etc.

Not only that, Animax has dubbed lot of other shows that don't have any other English Dubs.

"But honestly, is it such a big deal? I mean, had you not known about the Animax dub, would you still be questioning why there isn't a dub with this release? Is it really going to magically drive sales up that much?"

Yes it is a big deal. I might have to fly to Austrlia just to request them. I have a Netflix account and I'm requesting Cardcaptor Sakura Animax's English Dub to be streamed on Netflix. Netflix has mentioned that they'll try and see if they can get it.

I was initially upset that there was no (other) dub of that series until i found out about Animax Dub. I was really thrilled that they dubbed it, and I'm not alone there. I was asking Animax and some people if there are DVD's with that dub and they said there wasn't. That is why I'm requesting Netflix to be able to stream it.

I think it'll help the sales. Why not? Some people aren't fond with subtitles so they like to watch the dub. And plus, without dub is just a plain copy of what is available online. Animax dubs are impossible to find online. I have episodes 1-33, 35, 69 and 70, but can't find anything else. These episodes that I have are very well hidden.
madmangohan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
shadee88 wrote:
Why do u find it bemusing? Lot of people say some dub is better than no dub. Animax's Cardcaptor is one of the most known Animax Dub compared to the rest. Lot of fans from US, UK, Australia know about it. Lot of people want Animax Dubs.

Yes, having a dub is certainly beneficial for sales, but if Madman can't get it for whatever reason, or it is economically not viable, should they just not ever release the show?

Animax's CCS dub is well known not because it's great, but because it's uncut and follows much more closely to the original Japanese. Had Nelvana or someone in the US done the same, I doubt all of those people would still want the Animax dub.

shadee88 wrote:
Not only it's uncut, the voices really matched the personality of the characters, Andrea Kwan sounded so cute when She voiced Sakura Kinimoto, Candace Moore's voice fit Syaoran okay, etc, etc, etc.

That's subjective. Everybody has different tastes.
I for instance liked most of the Cardcaptors voice cast. And yes, I've heard Animax's too.

shadee88 wrote:
I think it'll help the sales. Why not? Some people aren't fond with subtitles so they like to watch the dub. And plus, without dub is just a plain copy of what is available online.
I agree that people might not be fond of subtitles for some series. I certainly watch dubs way more than subs.

But if a release of a series I want doesn't wind up getting dubbed, and likely wont in the future, I'm not exactly going to not purchase it. As an anime I fan, I owe it to the creators to support them for creating something I like, not ignoring it and saying that until you dub it, I can get the same for free online (the dub of which would ironically wind up on the internet soon after anyway).

shadee88 wrote:
Animax dubs are impossible to find online. I have episodes 1-33, 35, 69 and 70, but can't find anything else. These episodes that I have are very well hidden.

Oh I know they're well hidden. I've only ever seen episodes 1-6 and 70 myself of the Animax dub, and even then the quality was shocking.

Oh, and while doing some more research, I came across this quote on another Madman thread for Cardcaptor Sakura
Slykura wrote:
If an uncut dub was available for us to use we would have included it on our set.
...the plot thickens.
...or a hint to say they were denied.
shadee88

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:26 am Reply with quote
madmangohan wrote:
shadee88 wrote:

Yes, having a dub is certainly beneficial for sales, but if Madman can't get it for whatever reason, or it is economically not viable, should they just not ever release the show?

Animax's CCS dub is well known not because it's great, but because it's uncut and follows much more closely to the original Japanese. Had Nelvana or someone in the US done the same, I doubt all of those people would still want the Animax dub.

shadee88 wrote:

That's subjective. Everybody has different tastes.
I for instance liked most of the Cardcaptors voice cast. And yes, I've heard Animax's too.

shadee88 wrote:
I think it'll help the sales. Why not? Some people aren't fond with subtitles so they like to watch the dub. And plus, without dub is just a plain copy of what is available online.
I agree that people might not be fond of subtitles for some series. I certainly watch dubs way more than subs.

But if a release of a series I want doesn't wind up getting dubbed, and likely wont in the future, I'm not exactly going to not purchase it. As an anime I fan, I owe it to the creators to support them for creating something I like, not ignoring it and saying that until you dub it, I can get the same for free online (the dub of which would ironically wind up on the internet soon after anyway).

shadee88 wrote:
Animax dubs are impossible to find online. I have episodes 1-33, 35, 69 and 70, but can't find anything else. These episodes that I have are very well hidden.

Oh I know they're well hidden. I've only ever seen episodes 1-6 and 70 myself of the Animax dub, and even then the quality was shocking.

Oh, and while doing some more research, I came across this quote on another Madman thread for Cardcaptor Sakura
Slykura wrote:
If an uncut dub was available for us to use we would have included it on our set.
...the plot thickens.
...or a hint to say they were denied.

"Yes, having a dub is certainly beneficial for sales, but if Madman can't get it for whatever reason, or it is economically not viable, should they just not ever release the show?"

Well i was shocked when they released sub-only. I thought Madman didn't know about Animax's English dub of Cardcaptor Sakura.

"Animax's CCS dub is well known not because it's great, but because it's uncut and follows much more closely to the original Japanese. Had Nelvana or someone in the US done the same, I doubt all of those people would still want the Animax dub."

"Had Nelvana or someone in the US done the same, I doubt all of those people would still want the Animax dub"

That I mostly agree. The only reason why people want Animax Dub because its the only Uncut and English Dub. But if any US company dubbed and uncut, then yes theyll go after that one. But, if its Nelvana it is kind of debatable because there were some complaints about the voice cast. I thought the side characters voice cast (Yue, Toya etc.) where better in the Nelvana dub compared to their Animax counterparts. Only the main characters I thought were better in Animax Dubs.

"But if a release of a series I want doesn't wind up getting dubbed, and likely wont in the future, I'm not exactly going to not purchase it. As an anime I fan, I owe it to the creators to support them for creating something I like, not ignoring it and saying that until you dub it, I can get the same for free online (the dub of which would ironically wind up on the internet soon after anyway)."

Don't worry, i dont watch fansubs. And I'm not an anime-fan either.
Not many people think that way.

"Oh I know they're well hidden. I've only ever seen episodes 1-6 and 70 myself of the Animax dub, and even then the quality was shocking."

The quality is like that because the TV-rips were poorly recorded. That is why the quality sucks so bad.

Slykura wrote:
...the plot thickens.
...or a hint to say they were denied.[/quote]

YESSS!!!! This proves me right. They didn't know about Animax dubs. If I let madman know, they'll try and check if Animax will give them.
_____
BTW, I'm not able to register for madman board, if you have a madman board, can u send a PM message to Skylura or post on that thread that there is indeed an uncut english dub available.

Do you knwo any way i can talk to skylura? thatll be great.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:21 am Reply with quote
shadee88 wrote:
YESSS!!!! This proves me right. They didn't know about Animax dubs. If I let madman know, they'll try and check if Animax will give them.
What in the world does this mean? Do you seriously think that Madman did not know everything they could about the series before they approved to do a sub only release? The very fact they do mostly dub release shows that they would have done a great deal of research into what versions were out there, what the target audience would be, and what was financial.

Madman is not some sort of brainless company that finds something is wanted, and releases it with looking for information, they do their research. Ok I knowing very little about profesional research check Wikipedia (it is easy), and I have got the below.
Wikipedia wrote:
Animax Asia created an English dub of the series as well entirely unedited and uncut, which it broadcast on its English-language networks in Southeast Asia and South Asia.
There it is easy to find out it existed, and it seems impossible to think they could not have found this. You can bet they looked into, and they must have decided that it was not the way to go.
shadee88

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:32 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
shadee88 wrote:
What in the world does this mean? Do you seriously think that Madman did not know everything they could about the series before they approved to do a sub only release? The very fact they do mostly dub release shows that they would have done a great deal of research into what versions were out there, what the target audience would be, and what was financial.

Madman is not some sort of brainless company that finds something is wanted, and releases it with looking for information, they do their research. Ok I knowing very little about profesional research check Wikipedia (it is easy), and I have got the below.
Wikipedia wrote:
Animax Asia created an English dub of the series as well entirely unedited and uncut, which it broadcast on its English-language networks in Southeast Asia and South Asia.
There it is easy to find out it existed, and it seems impossible to think they could not have found this. You can bet they looked into, and they must have decided that it was not the way to go.

Then whats this???

Slykura wrote:

Well, an uncut dub is available (Animax Dub) but it's not in the boxset. Explain???
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:53 am Reply with quote
One may exist, but it does not mean that it is available.
madmangohan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Exactly.
You can read the quote two different ways.

One way assuming it isn't available because they didn't know about.
The other assuming it isn't available because they weren't allowed it.

There was also this quote about the release
Slykura wrote:
Believe me when we say we would of course much prefer to release a bilingual version.

It's not possible, ergo our release will remain uncut in the original Japanese dialogue.

Obviously you could read this either way again, but the words "it's not possible" certainly more hints to them not being allowed access to it for whatever reason rather than them somehow not knowing it exists.

Considering you yourself shadee88 told me that "Lot of fans from US, UK, Australia know about it. Lot of people want Animax Dubs.", I find it hard to believe a company like Madman with over 100 employees, who probably get requests daily from fans like you for titles to license, have suddenly all forgotten it exists.

And before you call them all idiots again, remember that these guys interact with the Japanese anime scene for a living. There's a good chance they will know about anime titles long before you even hear wind of them. It's their job to find the best materials out there to bring an anime here. Trust me when I say they are some pretty knowledgeable guys.
shadee88

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
madmangohan wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

Exactly.
You can read the quote two different ways.

One way assuming it isn't available because they didn't know about.
The other assuming it isn't available because they weren't allowed it.

There was also this quote about the release
Slykura wrote:
Believe me when we say we would of course much prefer to release a bilingual version.

It's not possible, ergo our release will remain uncut in the original Japanese dialogue.

Obviously you could read this either way again, but the words "it's not possible" certainly more hints to them not being allowed access to it for whatever reason rather than them somehow not knowing it exists.

Considering you yourself shadee88 told me that "Lot of fans from US, UK, Australia know about it. Lot of people want Animax Dubs.", I find it hard to believe a company like Madman with over 100 employees, who probably get requests daily from fans like you for titles to license, have suddenly all forgotten it exists.

And before you call them all idiots again, remember that these guys interact with the Japanese anime scene for a living. There's a good chance they will know about anime titles long before you even hear wind of them. It's their job to find the best materials out there to bring an anime here. Trust me when I say they are some pretty knowledgeable guys.

"Believe me when we say we would of course much prefer to release a bilingual version."

I'm not sure. I think he was either refering to re-releasing the Nelvana Dubs or creating new dubs. I'm not sure if he is specifically refering to the Animax Dub of Cardcaptor Sakura.

"I find it hard to believe a company like Madman with over 100 employees, who probably get requests daily from fans like you for titles to license, have suddenly all forgotten it exists."

They just read the show and just do bare minimum and get the show? I think.

"And before you call them all idiots again, remember that these guys interact with the Japanese anime scene for a living. "

Yeah they are interacting with the Japanese but are they interacting with Animax/Sony?

Not just titles to license. Titles to license and a spefic company's dub to use.

"Trust me when I say they are some pretty knowledgeable guys."

Knowledgable? They thought Dear Boys dub was Animax dubbed just because it aired on Animax???

PLEEEASEE!!! CAN anyone contact Skylura or any madman staff and tell them that Animax's English dub exists and ask if they can release it?

I'd greatly appreciate it. It'll save me a trip to Australia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4