• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Entertainment to Distribute Samurai Champloo 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:49 am Reply with quote
DFBTG wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:
DFBTG wrote:

True enough, and with that in mind, I can put off my opinion that this whole thing was a rather epic fail. Only thing I slightly cared about was Gankutsuou...and I own it already, and seeing as it plays perfectly still, I'm not going to double dip.

You have the most interesting definition of 'epic fail' I've ever heard.

More great anime out on the market and buyable? What a horrible, horrible situation. The Maginot Line of licensing.

"My God Funi, how about just giving me syphilis next year!"

I only had interest in 1/10 of the shows announced, and I already owned that show. So, at best, that's 10%. I'm relatively sure that 10% isn't good, unless you're talking about chances of losing a bet, then I dare say 10% is certainly low enough to go for it. That being said, yes 10% (although quite honestly it was 0%) is an epic fail. And, to clarify (although I am rather irked that this is even necessary) I had hoped that the whole 'my opinion' and 'Only thing I slightly...' would be evidence enough that this was directly relating to me. Is this good for others? Certainly. For me? No. Well, it's not bad (aside from the fact that something I wanted wasn't announced), but it's not good either. So please my friend, I ask that next time remember I put 'I', 'my', and their other variants in there for a reason.
And now that it is nearly 3:30 AM, and I'm running on four hours of sleep, I bid thee goodnight.

Heh, not satisfying one person still doesn't count as 'epic fail.'

Katrina = epic fail.

Maginot line = epic fail.

Cancer = nature's epic fail.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

I vote CCS

I'm with you, maybe Funi will finally get the message that this is one Genon show they could do well to pick up.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
I love the show and will pick it up now. But I still was hoping for something newer. Oh well, FUNimation is already doing enough with all the other titles they have.
darcerin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:36 am Reply with quote
I'll just put my vote in for the "Hooray! Funi!" camp here. I tried to catch Champloo on TV, but I usually only saw random eps and had no idea what was going on. I did like what I saw though.

I am with the "Geneon wants how much for it?!" camp though. I couldn't justify the prices when I worked a minimum retail job, so no dvds for me. Now that I'm working a better job, I can snap the boxsets right up! I can't wait!!

And Lance, I know you and the rest of Funi are getting a lot of grief, but thank you for all you guys are doing. Because of all these licenses, I may meander outside of my normal "magical girl/shonen fighting shows" to watch some of these. Smile
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to hear from Lance at Funimation that the surprises aren't done yet. Smile I've been pretty impressed with the lineup so far. There are definitely some must buys on that list.

If, however, we get to the end of all this and Soul Eater and Evangelion aren't licensed, I'm certainly not going to be alone in wondering just what the heck those clues were referring to if not SE and Eva.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
sailorsean wrote:
But what about all the other anime that should have been licensed/ should have been on the list??? For example: Evangelion: 1.0 You Are [Not] Alone, Soul Eater, Seto no Hanayome, Mushi-Uta, Hell Girl 2, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Strikers, Kanokon, Rosario to Vampire + Capu2, Shuffle! Memories, Kanon (2002), Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai, Moyashimon, Monster, Murder Princess, Natsume Yuujinchou, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Shankugan no Shana Season 2 + Movie, Shugo Chara, Ah! My Goddess TV Special OVA (2007)
*list of reasons*
sailorsean wrote:
And also a I've noticed that alot of you would like a Cardcaptor Sakura license rescue, which wouldn't be bad at all, if it is also followed with Haibane Renmei, Paranoia Agent, Trigun, Tenshi, Kannazuki no Miko, Chobits, Pretty Sammy, Sailor Moon, Popotan, Strawberry Marshmellow, I, My, Me, Strawberry Eggs, Hand Maid May, Doki Doki School Hours, or Ah! My Goddess The Movie + The Adventures of Mini-Goddesses...
Let me follow that up with an appraisal of the "should be rescued" Geneon titles...
CCS: Shoujo doesn't sell (outside of Ouran and Fruits Basket). Magical girl anime doesn't sell. Pre-2000 anime doesn't sell. Sub-only anime doesn't do very well with retail stores and casual buyers. That's 4 strikes, unless they go to great expense to create a non Cardcaptors dub.
Haibane Renmei: maybe, though who knows how the mass market likes cerebral/artsy anime these days.
Paranoia Agent: Same deal as Haibane, although its TV exposure might help a bit.
Trigun: Would be a good choice, though there have been rumors that Bandai's picked it up.
Tenshi: I'll assume you mean "Tenchi"...it's anybody's guess as to how much selling power Tenchi still has these days. Although why Geneon didn't put out a cheaper collection of the classic OVA during their troubled times in mid-2007 is beyond me.
Kannazuki no Miko: I thought this show was all right, but there's a lot of mixed opinions...AskJohn called it a "niche anime," and after Shattered Angels bombed during ADV's release of the 1st volume, it's doubtful that Kaishaku series have any significant popularity or selling power.
Chobits: Might be a good fit with Funi's other CLAMP properties.
Pretty Sammy: Great show, but like CCS, it's 1990s, Magical Girl, and sub-only, which Funi doesn't want to do.
Sailor Moon: Toei wouldn't allow the R1 licenses for any Sailor Moon to be renewed when they expired in 2005-2006.
Popotan: Too loli for casual buyers, and hardcore fans tend not to support shows like this. See the "Geneon Licenses Nanoha" talkback thread to see what I mean.
Strawberry Marshmallow: Same deal as Popotan -- casual buyers don't want DVDs on their shelves that scream "I'm a paedophile," regardless of whether the show has that content or not (it doesn't).
I, My, Me, Strawberry Eggs: Not a bad show, but might look a little too dated as we head into the end of the zeros decade.
Hand Maid May: Same deal as IMMSE.
Doki Doki School Hours: Practically nobody cared about this show even at the fansub level. Afaik even fewer cared about it on DVD, and its English dub is rather lackluster for a re-packaging.
Ah! My Goddess The Movie: Might be worthwhile since Funi has AMGS2
The Adventures of Mini-Goddesses: Same deal as the movie.

Of Geneon's back catalogue, I think Funi's already picked out some of the best prospects to re-license or redistribute. Gonzo's 2000-2006 series tend to be slick, CG-enhanced/modern-looking, and appealing to Western fan tastes in the action/comedy categories, rather than appealing to Japanese otaku tastes. Gungrave and Samurai Champloo are in that same realm. So if I had to brainstorm some other Geneon titles that might be good picks, they'd be:
Gatekeepers/21 -- another Gonzo series with lots of action, comedy, and girls, without crossing into lurid fanservice territory.
Hellsing TV -- logical pick to go along with Hellsing Ultimate, which has been one of the top-selling titles of Fall 2008.
Heat Guy J -- seems like a fairly "Western" type of cop/crime story.
X TV -- another one for Funi's CLAMP portfolio.
Gun x Sword -- a show almost tailor-made for Western tastes. Then again, this was one of if not the only recent Geneon release that Funi didn't pick up for redistribution back in July, so maybe Funi had a reason to leave it alone.
Girls Bravo -- if Funi feels they can find success with Ikki-Tousen and Shuffle!, maybe this one will work too.

-----------------------------
And just a little reminder: This is not an imageboard. Posts that contain nothing but an image or a quote + image in reply will be considered one-liners and dealt with accordingly. So if you see your posts in this thread gone or altered, that's why. I'm sure I don't need to mention any popular anime-themed imageboards where you can go for that kind of thing.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quote
akayashi wrote:
Awww, I guess it was silly of me to hope for the 3rd season of Kyo Kara Maoh! to be licensed... Sad

I've been hoping for the OVA & the 3rd Season, plus the Saiyuki OVA & the 2nd Season of Saiunkoku (unless they're just going to treat it as one whole title so we should be expecting it).

I always hoped Geneon would give us Haruka, but it ended up being Bandai Visual, so I'm hoping Bandai will give us the rest of Haruka.

Not to mention con season will be kicking up so Funi might be saving some good stuff for then.

The problem with CCS is it lacks a dub. The existing dub was a butcher job so that leaves releasing it sub-only (rescue mode) or going in & dubbing it to make it more interesting to the fans who whine about sub-only releases which may look like another Kodocha to Funi or any of the other licensees. It stands for me as the best adaptation of a Clamp title so I don't mind having paid $20-$25 for all 18 dvds & thus it being rescued or not doesn't bother me. Tough for all the people too cheap to pay it, but it is truely worth it. I agree with all the reviews that say it is diabetes-inducingly sweet, but it works without being sickeningly sweet

Of course, I was a Bandai Visual purchaser & I would easily pay BV prices to get Legend of the Galactic Heroes here.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:07 pm Reply with quote
great the last 2 where where just downers no Ah! My Goddess Fighting Wing or The Story of Saiunkoku season 2
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Let me follow that up with an appraisal of the "should be rescued" Geneon titles...
CCS: Shoujo doesn't sell (outside of Ouran and Fruits Basket). Magical girl anime doesn't sell. Pre-2000 anime doesn't sell. Sub-only anime doesn't do very well with retail stores and casual buyers. That's 4 strikes, unless they go to great expense to create a non Cardcaptors dub.

CCS's license expired while Geneon was still around and doing business. (It expired approximately 2 years ago to this day). That should be a hint about the possibility of it being re-picked up. Also, Geneon went through the trouble to release it in two box sets with new discs before the license expired.

Quote:

Gatekeepers/21 -- another Gonzo series with lots of action, comedy, and girls, without crossing into lurid fanservice territory.

GK and GK21 were (are?) separate licensors and thus very unlikely. Geneon supposedly had hell trying to make a GK/GK21 together box and it would be pointless to pick up one without the other.

Quote:

Hellsing TV -- logical pick to go along with Hellsing Ultimate, which has been one of the top-selling titles of Fall 2008.

Except the series is regarded as black history.

Quote:

Considering how long the "LE" box and singles have been in the TRSI bargain bin, do you really think this has sold well at all?

Last edited by bayoab on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
This is great news, because the original (and now out of print) Geneon DVDs can be pretty pricey, particularly the season set which ran over $100 (which is a ridiculous price for 25 episodes). Now, I can get all of Gungrave and Champloo for much less than a $100 hopefully.
stardust462

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I may be totally wrong about this, but I think that because Funi has Tsubasa that would make them lean more towards CCS. But I don't know how popular Tsubasa is.

I don't think I saw anyone mention Fushigi Yuugi in this thread yet as a title people want picked up. I know that was a Geneon title - did Funi or someone else get it? If not, I hope they list that also.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
pakli1988 wrote:
Thank you for FUNimation licensing Samurai Champloo after Geneon's license expired.

FUNimation did not license Samurai Champloo
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
stardust462 wrote:
I may be totally wrong about this, but I think that because Funi has Tsubasa that would make them lean more towards CCS. But I don't know how popular Tsubasa is.

I don't think I saw anyone mention Fushigi Yuugi in this thread yet as a title people want picked up. I know that was a Geneon title - did Funi or someone else get it? If not, I hope they list that also.

A fellow Fushigi Yuugi fan...looks like we're both in the same boat.

As for CCS, if FUNi can get xxHOLiC and Tsubasa, they can get CCS and give it a new, uncut dub. (Look at what they did with One Piece--the first English dub was hacked to hell, then 4Kids lost it, FUNi swiped it up, and now they're treating it a lot better.)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:

Quote:

Except the series is regarded as black history.

Quote:

Considering how long the "LE" box and singles have been in the TRSI bargain bin, do you really think this has sold well at all?

I think you're exactly right about Hellsing TV most likely not being picked up. There's a reason why we're getting the OVAs. If people have seen the series and have been watching the OVAs it's pretty obvious which they'll choose, so acquiring the series would probably be a waste.

All in all, I think they've picked up the shows that they feel confident about, and I'm pretty pleased about their choices. Although I do own many of the shows they've grabbed. Sure I'd love to see certain shows picked up, but as byoab stated, if they've been in the bargain bin for years, then odds are they aren't selling, regardless of quality. Considering how sales are going, companies have to go for what will most likely sell. They have the advantage of seeing sales figures for these shows from several years of availability so they probably know what they're doing.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

I think you're exactly right about Hellsing TV most likely not being picked up. There's a reason why we're getting the OVAs. If people have seen the series and have been watching the OVAs it's pretty obvious which they'll choose, so acquiring the series would probably be a waste.

Like many titles animated before the manga completes, Hellsing TV wavered in the original to anime stuff. There are still some great moments in the tv version & the fact we're getting the OVA I've always heard had to do with the popularity of the tv series here in the States. This site panned the music for the OVA in at least one review & I've seen others whine the music for the series was superior. There is animation of the Major for the tv series, they just didn't go there (see whoever's list of various reasons why not. Everyone seems to have a different excuse/theory from the studio over-extended itself to someone made the decision against going with the Nazi plot when it was unfinished in the manga)

I think it's interesting to see which titles Geneon's choosing to keep a hand in. Hellsing TV could be one, or they might be done with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9