• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Entertainment to Distribute Samurai Champloo 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:02 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Back on topic: It's a ten day countdown, not a Ten show countdown. There's nothing stopping them from announcing several shows on the last day (which seems to be what Lance was implying). Wink

There's a couple shows that I'm interested in that didn't get a big push when first released (like Gad Guard), but I wish they had gone for more older titles (like Vandread) that can't be still found pretty easily (Last Exile box sets are pretty easy to find). But I'm sure there are more saves and more new titles to be announced for 2009 and 2010. As it stands there are three titles I want to get for sure, and if they're announced I'll be looking to get Eva and Soul Eater too.

Emerje

Last Exile complete's not exactly SUPER cheap, yanno.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:18 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
How much do they need? This is nice for those who never got it, but did this really need to be picked up?

I vote CCS

It wasn't on the market for too long so it's a good opportunity for fans like me to pick it up for a decent price. But I heartily agree that a rerelease of Cardcaptor Sakura would be wonderful.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:48 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Back on topic: It's a ten day countdown, not a Ten show countdown. There's nothing stopping them from announcing several shows on the last day (which seems to be what Lance was implying). Wink
They have already announced 11 series as it is. Very Happy
Elisian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:17 am Reply with quote
Hey hey...this puts me at buying one of them. I'm sure glad I got excited over the new licenses...*rolls eyes*
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:34 am Reply with quote
You can't just license the other stuff without 'Samurai Champloo'. Wouldn't be the same without this great title. Glad to see they're bringing it back.
Super_Vegeta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:50 am Reply with quote
Wellness wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:
Awesome. Now I can FINALLY get a cheap boxset for this awesome show.

Exactly this is great news (at least for my cheap self).

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked, I've already got a fairly long list of anime I'd like to get and as now I've added three from these new announcements to my list. (thats a lot of money and very good news for me). (Last Exile, Samurai Champloo, and Gungrave. Not to mention that I've been humming and hawing about picking up the Slayers series for awhile now, so if I do get that thats another 4 sets. :O)

Anyway, IMO this has provided a lot of great news! And I'm really glad that funimation has rescued a lot of shows that I would have otherwise missed. (not just now from new show a go go, but even earlier too.

- I was able to get Fate/Stay Night, and I also plan to get Welcome to the NHK, and Ergo Proxy.

Anyway, IDK what people were expecting, maybe I'm not dissapointed because I didn't know what to expect, and thus didn't make retardedly high expectations.

But seriously people should stop complaining, if you don't like it don't buy any of these particular shows. Also for all the people who are like: "Oh I'm boycotting funi now because they didn't release series "X" that I wanted." Are you stupid? You'd cut off your nose to spite your face? Its possible that they still have other series you may want to buy, or may release one down the line.

Anyway @ Lance. . . ah so its possible that there will be more announcements later.

As for Soul Eater and Evangelion, not to bash anyone's opinions as I respect everyones but I don't really get why everyone was/is so stoked for these. I just checked up on both using this site, and while I'm sure Soul Eater is good, it doesn't sound very interesting (to me anyway).

As for Evangelion, I've heard tons of good things about it, but there are like 20 different editions and re-releases so I'm not interested at all because I wouldn't know whats going on or understand the series.

(additionally I've heard that isn't this yet another re-release or remake of part of the series?)

Anyway, not stepping on anyones toes, but as far as I'm concerned things turned out for the better as they are.

Besides Lance has hinted that Funi may yet have an ace up there sleave.
Super_Vegeta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
My lord.

I tend to start away from this peculiar word since it's quite offensive, but looks like I'll have to rely on it to get the point across...

You people are absolutely godamn retarded. All you're doing is whining and moaning about GOOD news. What Funi is doing is rescuing shows from the grave...yet you're bitching because a show or two that isn't in yet, but will inevitably be IN...is lacking in news yet?

...Even a frickin Chimpanzee would flip you off for this kind of logic, and more specifically, this childish level of impatience.

They WILL get announced! If you haven't noticed...they're stocking in announcements at the speed of a bullet train! Calm the fudge down!

This post says it all! EPIC win good sir, epic win!
9hoenix_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quote
was I the only one wanting Vampire Knight?

But soul eater would have been nice.
Oh well at least I get Nabari No Ou
braves

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Awe-****ing-some. This is the sort of show that should never be out-of-print. Very Happy

Ditto.

Emerje wrote:
Back on topic: It's a ten day countdown, not a Ten show countdown.

Well, when this first started, they said "10 shows; 10 days." But if they end up licensing more than that then I'm sure nobody will complain (especially if it's Soul Eater or the Eva movie).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
Oh Hell yes! I've been wanting to finish watching Samurai Champloo for FOREVER! And it's something I think my non-anime fiance might enjoy Smile

I always look at the box set at FYE/Suncoast and think $200? I don't think so :/ (Even w/ a backstage pass discount - ouch!) I'm guessing they are gonna do an Ouran-like release? Part I and II? I wouldn't mind that. Around $80-$100 for the whole season is far more reasonable.

It would be nice if they did it all together, though, for around $60 like Shakugan no Shana Smile
akayashi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:04 am Reply with quote
Awww, I guess it was silly of me to hope for the 3rd season of Kyo Kara Maoh! to be licensed... Sad

Last edited by akayashi on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
BenBrown

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:08 am Reply with quote
Yay! Thanks funimation! Now you're going to be getting even more of my money... I guess that's a good thing.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
I'm really happy this got rescued but....No Eva? Please say it's tomorrow. :cry:

Same here, but I really wanted the new Eva 1.0 movie licensed today. Although I did like this series, I could easily rent this via Netflix.

Overall though, Oh Edo Rocket, Slayers Revolution and the resuce of Vandread, this has been a great eight days. Hopefully the new Eva movie is licensed eventually. Though I really wanted to see Hare and Guu Final licensed or Toradora licensed, at least Slayers was licensed and some other interestingi anime.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
sanosuke32 wrote:
Did this really need saving? Its such an old (but awesome) show, and I don't recall a lack of the series.
So a show that came out in 2004 is old?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:38 am Reply with quote
I managed to get lucky with Samurai Champloo. FYE had marked down all the individual volumes to $13 each, AND they had a "buy 2 anime DVDs, get a $10 gift card" sale going on. I asked the cashier if I could use the gift cards to deduct from my purchase, and he said yes. So after all that and my 10% Backstage discount, I got all 7 volumes for about $55-60. Pretty good deal. Granted, that means no artbox, but I might try to find that for cheap someday.

Still, if there was one Geneon series I could save from being OOP, this would be it, so good job Funi! Watanabe FTW! Though I do hope for another countdown soon (since Lance suggested that Funi might be doing so), since despite people pointing out 11 shows have been licensed so far, I doubt both Soul Eater and Eva will be licensed tonight (but I could, hopefully, be wrong).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9