• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Adds Soul Eater Anime from Media Factory

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
se37

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
YES!!!!

FUNimation has Soul Eater. I'm so happy for this however I'm a little bit upset as it's been so hard finding the series since FUN did their C&D order on it. However, with the series in HD and 2 Versions that appeared on TV (not by much however) I wonder if they will release this in Blu-ray has this series in HD is amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Everyone satisfied now?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
se37 wrote:
YES!!!!

FUNimation has Soul Eater. I'm so happy for this however I'm a little bit upset as it's been so hard finding the series since FUN did their C&D order on it. However, with the series in HD and 2 Versions that appeared on TV (not by much however) I wonder if they will release this in Blu-ray has this series in HD is amazing.

That is something to wonder about. No doubt BD's will be far more expensive to produce and to purchase, but it'd be worth it, as you'd be getting an inferior product with DVDs.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Hate to be a wet blanket here, but I'm going to say that I'm pretty disappointed... I mean, great news for the people who enjoy it (and want to buy it) and Funimation (since it's probably pretty marketable), but it just doesn't do anything for me. I probably would've liked it if I were ten years younger, though.
Super_Vegeta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Neutral this is the one that everyone was all stoked for? o_O Well I guess everyone has different tastes.

Neutral just watched the trailer. First things first, that was completely not what I expected. If nothing else it may be worth a purchase for some truly ass kicking fights. Although, it looks like its a bit sillier and more outlandish than what I normally get.

heh, look at me going from completely "not getting" the hype to adding this to my list. Still, I'm more stoked for say Samurai Champloo. (I'm a sucker for Samurai stuff so sue me)

EDIT as a side note to whoever mentioned it. YES YES YES! Funi (and other publishers for that matter) absolutely NEED to start releasing more anime on Blu Ray.

That said I don't know how much I would go about "double dip purchasing" (maybe Full Metal Panic! Cowboy Bebop, and a few movies like Karas or Blood "The Last Vampire") but I'd definately get all new purchases on BD.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
Everyone satisfied now?

Of course not! Very Happy
MetatronM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

With very minor edits, this could totally go on Cartoon Network. I know Toonami died, but whatever block they play kids' anime in, you could cut this down a little bit and put it in there.

They don't play anime on CN at all anymore, other than maybe 2 or so Naruto episodes a month, Bakugan very early in the morning, and Pokemon around mid-morning.

So...pretty much Adult Swim or bust when it comes to CN. Unless they decide to radically alter their programming strategy.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see they finally made the annoucnement. Even though the DVD release is a long ways off it's likely there will be a TV broadcast beforehand which is the current trend with a lot of shows (Gurren Lagann, Moribito, Code Geass, Bleach, etc.).

Something from the article that's bugging me:

Quote:
living weapons and their human masters

There is no master/servant relationship here, they're strictly partners on equal level (and in some cases lovers), and it's that equal partnership and balance that's key to their fighting abilities. Well, at least Jason's Spotlight and the trailer got that right anyway.

The art and designs is one of the things that I really love about this series. It's a style I'd associate more with NIS (Disgea, Atelier Iris, Ar Tonelico games) than Square Enix, and I'm a big NIS fan. Plus I'm not all that crazy about the manga art style, the students are all drawn much more child-like than in the anime and I can't really stand Soul's constant drooling...

This is a definite buy for me.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
9hoenix_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Knew this would happen. Funimation tends to snap up the most marketable stuff, and I guess they can afford to because they done did it again.

With very minor edits, this could totally go on Cartoon Network. I know Toonami died, but whatever block they play kids' anime in, you could cut this down a little bit and put it in there.

I mean, you could put it on [adultswim], too, but I think it has far less success potential there. This has potential kids' anime franchise written all over it...well, get past the breast jokes, and it does. It's definitely childish in tone, but it's different enough to catch your attention when you're flipping through channels. Like a Tim Burton shonen tourney show or something.

Have you ever read the manga?Its not exactly what I would call Kid friendly.
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
This is a definite buy for me as well.

I noticed the new year's ball has reset on the New Show A-Go-Go page, while it would be very odd and quite daring... 8 more new licenses plus Evangelion at the end - thus, 9 more. If that's the case, its gonna be a long day for those FUNi folks. Razz
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
9hoenix_ wrote:
Have you ever read the manga?Its not exactly what I would call Kid friendly.

It's on EXACTLY the same level as Naruto so I could easily see it as a 9/10pm Cartoon Network showing.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stefnick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I think there going to be more annoucement because on the New Show a Go Go webpage, it seems like they were going for the "ball dropping on new years" which the they were doing for the last ten days. With the annoucement of Soul Eater the Ball went back to the top just leaving it like that is bit stupid, so it make think that Funimation will make more annoucement today till New Years. That be awesome, I hope thats the case.
giascle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
There is no master/servant relationship here, they're strictly partners on equal level (and in some cases lovers), and it's that equal partnership and balance that's key to their fighting abilities.

Emerje

The characters that hold the weapons are called "meisters." Though you're right; they could have worded it better.
Jih2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Sarkozy wrote:
This is a definite buy for me as well.

I noticed the new year's ball has reset on the New Show A-Go-Go page, while it would be very odd and quite daring... 8 more new licenses plus Evangelion at the end - thus, 9 more. If that's the case, its gonna be a long day for those FUNi folks. Razz

Actually I was thinking the same thing with the space they have on the New Show A-Go-Go site an all. I sure hope they do something but one every hour or so might have been a bit more dramatic. Still, judging from what one of the reps wrote on another license announcement page, something about "how do you know there isn't another license announcement countdown right after this one" it seems rather possible that there are more to be announced soon.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
From what I've been hearing, I wouldn't watch the trailer, but then again I want to see it for myself. I'm very pleased that Soul Eater is license, while at first I was skeptical, after a few episodes I was cracking up, and the animation is very good. I remember thinking "wow if this was license [pah!] I would totally buy it" I'm suprised it got licensed, but then again, I'm still pleased.
If you want to really get a knack for the show, watch a few of the beginning episodes, not the trailer, it takes a while, at least for me, to get hooked.

And I loved the OP and ED's. For some reason if I like the OP and ED music I love the show o__o I noticed that recently.

Well kudos to Funimation, seems like they might still have one more title up their sleeve.......?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5