• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Adds Soul Eater Anime from Media Factory

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:
The only thing I cared most about this series is that I'm gonna see alot of cosplayers wearing the Thompson Twins,Black Star and Tsubaki characters.............Oh it brought to tears on that those times! Laughing

I saw Soul Eater cosplayers when the show was still 3-4 episodes in. Some of them weren't half bad.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
BlackJaded wrote:
The only thing I cared most about this series is that I'm gonna see alot of cosplayers wearing the Thompson Twins,Black Star and Tsubaki characters.............Oh it brought to tears on that those times! Laughing

I saw Soul Eater cosplayers when the show was still 3-4 episodes in. Some of them weren't half bad.

I want to see Franken Stein cosplayers, complete with rolling chairs! Very Happy
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
It's a bit weird to keep the "Shinigami-sama", because in the series his name (signature) is shown as "DEATH" - shinigama is purely the translation for the Japanese dub. Most texts in the series are in english or french, don't remember but at least not Japanese ^^; So the characters are supposed to talk in English or so (like D Gray Man). And the only Japanese person in the whole cast is Tsubaki I think xD

Tsubaki, Black Star, and Maka are the only Japanese characters (half, on Maka's part). Death City is based in Nevada, however they do go around the world (Italy, London, Czech, etc) for their assignments.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
The japanese one is HD, does this mean there will be a Blu-Ray release?

Anyways, I hope they pump these out quickly and at a fair price. The Naruto boxes have a similar amount of content and are like $29-44 on Amazon.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
Now the whining can stop already. I'll need to see the first episode before I buy this one.

If this were any other site, I am sure there would be whining of some sort. Personally, I never found this series interesting, so I am probably not going to watch this. I have to agree with the trailer though, the art is quite well done though.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
The style isn't that appealing to me but it's not unappealing like Gurren Lagann was to me, so I may check it out, but I probably will "preview" It some other method before buying something like this, or wait until it's really cheap.
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
v1cious wrote:
and now it's official. can't wait to see the voice cast they pick for this one.

EDIT that trailer is terrible.

Well, trailers for anime shows are rarely academy award material. Heck, most of the time it's just the opening credit sequence without the credits.

Yeah I noticed he left out all the fanservice which is key in the series. Also Star's love of himself and Kid dying if something isn't symmetrical.
Glimon_91

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:27 am Reply with quote
Well, I have to say that I really like this show, and I was hoping to be able to get a DVD Release soon...

I just hope that if there is any DVD Release it will be a Uncut version, I think we still got chances if 4Kids didn't license this series. xD

-Glimon
PS: Happy New Year to everyone!
melonbread

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:20 am Reply with quote
Woo they finally got it.

"released in late 2009" = no thanks though. How pathetic.

I've already ordered the four LE versions of the Japanese Soul Eater DVD release, the first coming out in August I think it was (it was so long ago now).

At one time I really thought the industry might change to make releases more simultaneous, I guess it's happening in -some- places to a certain extent, but not enough! And especially not with the high profile titles like Soul Eater.

I don't want Soul Eater on DVD anyway, and knowing Funimation they'll make a rubbish encode by stuffing too many episodes on a disc. I want a properly done Blu-ray version, like the series deserves.
sj21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Calculusman wrote:
v1cious wrote:
and now it's official. can't wait to see the voice cast they pick for this one.

EDIT that trailer is terrible.

Well, trailers for anime shows are rarely academy award material. Heck, most of the time it's just the opening credit sequence without the credits.

Ugh. the credit sequence would have been far better than that. I hate to criticize them in their moment of glory, but I couldn't even finish it... didn't help that the cheesy voice goes on f-o-r-e-v-e-r. It literally sounds like parody, something from Robot Chicken, instead of the real thing. If that represents their current marketing quality, I'll start to worry about their investment in all these licenses Smile

Still hoping for Eva...

What is so bad about the trailer. Its a trailer like any other.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Funimation's trailers in general tend to be cheesy and/or melodramatic. It's like their advertising division has no understanding of subtlety. It annoys me, and I thought that the 3 minute commercial for Soul Eater was a bit much, but I don't see the "Oh God! My eyes and ears, they bleed!" level of badness that people are getting worked up over.
jvargas_1911

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is my first post here, and I think I can put my point of view of this Funimation's licence.

I'm not from US or Canada, I'm from a Spanish country, and I think that this licence is one of the most abusive in part of Funimation.

If Funimation are thinking of licence this anime, why they don't licence that and send C&Ds to fansubs after?. Hey, this licence is an abusive form and impositive for the sake of a licence.

Plus, in Spain and France, the manga and anime were licenced, and the author was happy of the anime that will release in those two countries. In those countries, the licence was truly honest. They want to promote the anime for good, and the fansubs that were working stopped it. Without the sent of C&Ds and the abuse of companies of Funimation, also the japanese countries.

And, for the english users, are you paying $20-40 for an anime DVD?. Please, some DVD's are being sold in $15-20. Users, demand lower prices and good quality.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I think you're operating on a few misconceptions here. FUNi most likely held the license before they sent out C&D notices to fansubbers, and even if they hadn't, they were still perfectly justified to do so on behalf of the Japanese rights holders. Whether or not a series is licensed in a particular region, fan distribution of it is technically illegal. I'm sure the series' creators are very happy that the show is going to be distributed in the largest foreign anime market. And except for increasingly rare instances, no one who knows how to shop is paying in the range of $40 for single-volume DVDs anymore. The industry is shifting more and more to season boxsets, which is nothing but beneficial to us as consumers.
jvargas_1911

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I think you're operating on a few misconceptions here. FUNi most likely held the license before they sent out C&D notices to fansubbers, and even if they hadn't, they were still perfectly justified to do so on behalf of the Japanese rights holders. Whether or not a series is licensed in a particular region, fan distribution of it is technically illegal. I'm sure the series' creators are very happy that the show is going to be distributed in the largest foreign anime market. And except for increasingly rare instances, no one who knows how to shop is paying in the range of $40 for single-volume DVDs anymore. The industry is shifting more and more to season boxsets, which is nothing but beneficial to us as consumers.

Yes, beacuse of the DMCA. But, think it: if a japanese company are trying to stop fansubs of some titles, do you think that the most comprehensive form of stop is that the japanese companies send C&Ds to fansubs, instead of english companies?

And, yes I also think that fansubbing is 100% ILLEGAL, not technically. Japan told us some months ago.

Regarding to boxsets, I refer to single-DVDs. Boxsets are other forms of product,
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
jvargas_1911 wrote:

Yes, beacuse of the DMCA. But, think it: if a japanese company are trying to stop fansubs of some titles, do you think that the most comprehensive form of stop is that the japanese companies send C&Ds to fansubs, instead of english companies?

I'd think that a company based in a particular country would generally have a much greater understanding of the legal system of that country than a foreign company. If that's the case, it only makes sense that Japanese production companies would authorize someone like FUNi to take C&D action on their behalf. FUNi has the local resources to accomplish the task that a Japanese production company might not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5