• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spotlight: Soul Eater

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised this got licensed.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again: this was THE title to license this year, absolutely. And of course Funimation gets it because they're extremely savvy about gaining the most marketable licenses.

I've seen about fifteen episodes of the show and the first thing that popped into my head was...okay, the first thing was actually "Wow, Tim Burton made an anime?" The second thing was "This could be a decent-sized hit stateside. If I were Funi or Bandai, I'd be on this like white on rice."

I mean, it could totally flop too, but get it on Cartoon Network in whatever block replaced Toonami, and it could do well. Companies are lucky enough to get a title worthy of an [adultswim] run that will inevitably end up at a horrible timeslot and never run again. You don't get something this similar to Naruto very often, though. It could be enough of a hit to be a fruitful franchise endeavor.

If it's a little tres gauche for Cartoon Network, maybe Sci Fi Channel would run it, but I think it would do really well as a kids' anime with some...edits regarding breasts and all. Laughing (They DO run Naruto, and Soul Eater is only slightly more edgy in its uncut version.)

EDIT: Lolz. I contradicted the person before me. Look at this? How could it NOT get licensed by someone, and more likely, get put on TV at some point?
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again: this was THE title to license this year, absolutely. And of course Funimation gets it because they're extremely savvy about gaining the most marketable licenses.

I've seen about fifteen episodes of the show and the first thing that popped into my head was...okay, the first thing was actually "Wow, Tim Burton made an anime?" The second thing was "This could be a decent-sized hit stateside. If I were Funi or Bandai, I'd be on this like white on rice."

I mean, it could totally flop too, but get it on Cartoon Network in whatever block replaced Toonami, and it could do well. Companies are lucky enough to get a title worthy of an [adultswim] run that will inevitably end up at a horrible timeslot and never run again. You don't get something this similar to Naruto very often, though. It could be enough of a hit to be a fruitful franchise endeavor.

If it's a little tres gauche for Cartoon Network, maybe Sci Fi Channel would run it, but I think it would do really well as a kids' anime with some...edits regarding breasts and all. Laughing (They DO run Naruto, and Soul Eater is only slightly more edgy in its uncut version.)

I hate all edits also, I downloaded it while it was unlicenced and there two versions of it. I wonder which one they'll use (it better be the night version.) Death the Kid is awesome.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I totally saw the night version, too. That won't fly on "Toonami," but if there's a toned-down daytime version, then that probably makes editing choices easier on Funi and the network...

That is, if the only difference between them was edits. I don't know. If that is the only difference, I guarantee you that Funimation will release the "uncut" nighttime version of the show on DVD.
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_Eater_(anime)#Anime
Was footage cut in the daytime version or paint edits?
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not that the Kid has room to talk: with three stripes of white hair on one side of his head, he's the least symmetrical of the bunch.

actually the "three stripes" thing is part of a bigger plot twist. i doubt it will be explained in the anime, though.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

You're 2 episodes short of Excalibur <_<
anyways, if this goes on Cartoon Network, I will have lost all respect for Funimation. This show does not deserve cuts and edits especially if you've seen the full uncut version that has been airing in Japan. Even if they did air the cut version...there's still a HUGE amount of blood (just the Medusa arc alone) that would need to be cut.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

You're 2 episodes short of Excalibur <_<
anyways, if this goes on Cartoon Network, I will have lost all respect for Funimation. This show does not deserve cuts and edits especially if you've seen the full uncut version that has been airing in Japan. Even if they did air the cut version...there's still a HUGE amount of blood (just the Medusa arc alone) that would need to be cut.

Ugh... Filler of the most unbearable kind.

I loathed the Excalibur episodes with a passion.

More to the point, it's a great acquisition that's for sure... But I really would like to see it on TV too. The Day Time show is pretty non-risque and the Night Time content is only pushing it in like, one or two episodes.

Dunno how scenes concerning Black*Star peeping in the hot springs will go over though...
Jaziek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
kefkaownsall wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_Eater_(anime)#Anime
Was footage cut in the daytime version or paint edits?

theres pretty much 0 difference. Some comments from the team before and after the episode and some silly little animation bits in the middle, but nothing major at all, no animation / dialogue changes.
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
A quick note that the 'day show' and 'night show' versions are differentiated only by some repeated footage dropped around the eyecatches and after the preview (with fingerquotes funny fingerquotes dialogue slapped on top) that horribly massacre the pacing. There are NO additional violent/risque/etc scenes in the Late Show.
Crystal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad this got licensed. I thought it'd be popular enough to be.

I haven't seen the anime, but I've read up to somewhere in the 3rd book of the manga. I REALLY want to like Soul Eater, but as hard as I try, I just can't find an original bone in its body. Does it get any "better" at one point?
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
I haven't seen the anime, but I've read up to somewhere in the 3rd book of the manga. I REALLY want to like Soul Eater, but as hard as I try, I just can't find an original bone in its body. Does it get any "better" at one point?
It's a shounen series, formulaic is almost the definition. What sets it apart from the usual fare is:
1) Exceptionally well executed. BONES are excellent animators, and the show as a whole is highly and consistently stylised.
2) Fixed series length, so no filler arcs, no multi-episode fight scenes, no budget-saving recap episodes, and an overarching plot that actually moves forward and concludes.
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
kefkaownsall wrote:
I'm surprised this got licensed.

Your joking right? It gives Funimation another chance to suck in the FMA crowd its an excellent show on top of that. With the manga already in the US and a Wii game in the works its no surprise Funimation would pick up something like Soul Eater. It just makes sense. Its also studio bones so you can't go wrong there. Some episodes don't always coincide with the manga but its pretty darn close. I very happy about this.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
They might as well add "Tim Burton Presents..." to the title of this show...
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
So I was reading the article for about two seconds when I noticed a major mistake

on the second sentence.

Shinigami are not from Japanese Folklore, it's taken from the western concept of the Grim Reaper. That's why Shinigami are different in every series having only to do with death. In Bleach Shinigami transport souls to the Soul Society, while in Death Note they kill people by writing their names down in books.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3