• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: ef: A Tale of Memories Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:42 am Reply with quote
Very uneven series. The Renji/Chihiro part managed a fresh take on the most recent trendy mental ailment to use in fiction (although the ending was far too pat), but the love triangle section was little more than typical soap opera with some rare nice touches. The way it depicted spoiler[Miyano's parents coming to hate each other by her mother calmly opening a cabinet and methodically smashing all the dishes inside was fairly chilling. Much more effective than just showing the two of them yelling at each other or something], but "childhood friend can't commit and is pushed aside by a spunky new arrival" is a dusty old story and at its heart ef doesn't have anything to polish it up.

And regarding the weak animation...just wait until the second series!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:52 am Reply with quote
Fifth B wrote:
Oh, and I was able to recognize all of the moe tragedies mentioned as examples. I fear I may have a problem.
I'm drawing a blank on the quadriplegic, but otherwise, same here.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
Who thinks limited animation should be a ding against a TV series that is part of medium known for the extensive use of limited animation in TV series?
I honestly believe it shouldn't be an issue for an anime so long as it stands up against contemporaries(other anime).
But that's just the issue -- the animation here is noticeably limited even compared to the late-00s anime average. How many other Fall 2007 shows were more noticeable in their limited animation?

Though I do think that SHAFT did well with the resources they had in turning what could've been a pedestrian VN adaptation into an artistic spectacle, I don't think I'd go higher than C+.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But that's just the issue -- the animation here is noticeably limited even compared to the late-00s anime average. How many other Fall 2007 shows were more noticeable in their limited animation?

Of the ones that I've seen that would be Genshiken 2, Clannad, Minami-ke, Shugo Chara!, and Kimi Kiss. Minami-ke is a little more energetic when the animation does kick in while the reviews for Shugo Chara, KimiKiss, and ef all had similar animation scores but none of those were any less noticeably limited in animation to me.
Fifth B

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:08 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Fifth B wrote:
Oh, and I was able to recognize all of the moe tragedies mentioned as examples. I fear I may have a problem.

Angel Beats for the quadriplegic, if memory serves me right.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:12 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

Of the ones that I've seen that would be Genshiken 2, Clannad, Minami-ke, Shugo Chara!, and Kimi Kiss. Minami-ke is a little more energetic when the animation does kick in while the reviews for Shugo Chara, KimiKiss, and ef all had similar animation scores but none of those were any less noticeably limited in animation to me.

Clannad had limited animation? News to me...
naki12

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:14 am Reply with quote
Fifth B wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Fifth B wrote:

Angel Beats for the quadriplegic, if memory serves me right.

Good memory! I, too, can recognise all the moe tragedies and I'm still doing high school.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:21 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Who thinks limited animation should be a ding against a TV series that is part of medium known for the extensive use of limited animation in TV series?
I honestly beleive it shouldn't be an issue for an anime so long as it stands up against contemporaries(other anime).

I think sparse animation deserves calling out if it is detrimental to the overall viewing experience. I don't think that was a problem with ef, but then ANN reviews have always been strongly opinionated--fortunately. And the letter grade aside, I think Key wasn't exactly unfair to ef's animation in the body of the review.

(The great irony in all this, of course, is that both ef series aired prior to Bakemonogatari--and the great financial windfall that followed--and we know how poorly that fared in the animation department at times.)

Anyway, this debate causes me to ask why the review grading format here doesn't employ a broader "Art" category, encompassing both aesthetic and animation qualities. That's not to say that the current setup is unreasonable, but I think the argument could be made that anime/cartoons as a medium can't exist without the synthesis of both, making it unwise to delineate them--as much as Shaft sometimes likes to challenge that paradigm!

As to the review overall, the only point I found myself in complete disagreement with was on the comparison to Key adaptations. It'll be interesting to see how you find melodies, (reviewer Razz) Key.

Last edited by Big Hed on Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:25 am Reply with quote
Review wrote:
It also stumbles on integrating the three central stories as much as one might expect from the way they are interlaced; Hiro/Miyako/Kei and Kyosuke/Kei's stories overlap some, but Renji/Chihiro's is so entirely independent that the only indication that their story is going on in the same time frame as the other two is an occasional phone message between Chihiro and Kei.

They aren't integrated because (very minor "ef -a tale of melodies" spoiler) spoiler[Renji and Chihiro's story takes places in an entirely different country than the rest.]
Because of this, I don't find it particularly proper to list it as a negative, but... looking at this season alone, I suppose it does make you wonder why they don't interact with the rest of the cast. However, I think that feeling was intentional so melodies could expand upon the world-view of this series in the way it did.
corinthian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
I rather found the dub to be a pleasant surprise for me in form of Monica Rial. I've mostly known her in spunky-best-friend sort of roles where her high voice is well-suited (but sometimes grating). Hearing her in a subdued dramatic role worked really well. Hopefully the sequel will do the same for Hilary Haag.
aereus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
I also have to chime in and say C- for animation? Really? Shaft has always been known for doing striking visuals on a shoestring budget. (And keep in mind they did ef before their success with Bakemonogatari, so they weren't raking in the money then)

This youtube link is only 720p and not that great an encode, but it shows fairly well the visuals they come up with. I have the full 1080p creditless and it's really amazing for something from 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h4CWiIc_rY&feature=related

Really catchy song as well.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
hmm that was pretty much a spot review for the series. It's been a while thought since i have seen it however but still rather decent adapt from a eroge/adult visual novel. The only down-side is that I will just wait for manga gamer to release the title since it's on their list rather than re-watching anime adapt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
I also have to chime in and say C- for animation? Really? Shaft has always been known for doing striking visuals on a shoestring budget. (And keep in mind they did ef before their success with Bakemonogatari, so they weren't raking in the money then)
Key never said the animation wasn't good, just that there wasn't much of it.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:

Oh boy another review thread full of people not understanding the distinction between creative/artistic visuals and rich/consistent animation. ef has the former in spades; the latter...not so much, though I think that the series is so well directed artistically that the art direction really does almost completely make up for the often limited animation.
thalandor46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
ef is without question one of the most visually pleasing experiences I have ever had the pleasure of viewing. I admit, however, that I am a rather unobservant person, and I rarely notice issues relating to animation quality, so I can understand how my opinion differs from that of this review. Rather, it was this point that really got to me...

Quote:
but it never fully achieves the emotional impact that it sets out for and certainly falls short of the typical Key/Visual Art's adaptation in that regard.

I have always considered the emotional impact to easily be the highlight ef. I've watched memories from beginning to end five times, and the emotional roller coaster has been consistently amazing each and every time. I have never been so blown away so many times in so few episodes. I am simply baffled that anyone can list such a thing as a negative point without trolling...

I hate to sound like I'm whining because someone doesn't like my favorite anime...but someone doesn't like my favorite anime! Anime cry
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the rabid fans came out of the woodwork fast. Heaven forbid someone critisize your favorite show.

The point of animation is to be animated. It doesn't mean jack if the animation is super pretty if it's barely animated at all. Thay's a damn fault if I ever heard one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5