• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: ef: A Tale of Memories Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Oh my god, people are still bitching about the C- minus grade for the animation?

I don't see what's the problem here with people complaining about it. It definitely is too harsh of a grade. I mean if one is going to give ef a C- grade for animation. Madoka Magica or Bakemonogatari may as well as deserve the same grade too. It's simply the way SHAFT shows work. They tell their shows through convoluted dialogues and obscure symbolism, which I find unique and a plus if anything.

People also need to remember that SHAFT made this in 2007 and 2008 NOT 2012! For SHAFT, this was a huge step up in quality especially since it was right after the atrocious years of the Negima anime, which were beyond bad animation wise. If anything, SHAFT has barely improved between ef and their current works.

Quote:
I agree. A C- is ridiculous. Ef is a work of art, and does not need extreme movement to be beautiful. However, I love ef, but Melodies is superb by comparison. AND YUUKO IS NOT A BRUNETTE! She has black, iridescent hair. Also, Elisa got her start in ef, so I guess you should say she did TWKOK later. Apparently, the director didn't even read the original script for the game before making the anime. Which is why Kyousuke and Kei were utterly ignored. I really would have liked to see more of the original story. They took out a VERY important point in Melodies too... I will comment with a spoiler text next time about what that was.
However, a good review, although it focused far too much on Chihir (and I hate Chihiro, probably mainly because her voice pisses me off).

More like, they took out a ton of important stuff in both Memories and Melodies. The game is 50+ hours despite being a relatively VN. To be honest, Kyousuke's and Kei's arc was rather dull in the game so I'm kind of glad they glossed over it in the anime. It had more eroge than actual worthwhile content if I recall. spoiler[Mizuki's and Kuze's arc was by far the worst in the anime though.]

Overall though, the anime did bring out most of the game's content and while they did drastically change Yuuko's arc (not to mention the final chapter...there are 7 chapters for those who are unaware), it was still pretty well done in the end. One of the better VN adaptations and in my opinion, certainly better than CLANNAD all together.

Also, Yuuko's hair is not black. It's actually more gray and yes iridescent.

The biggest mystery to me is how they managed to do Chihiro's and Renji's story so well when the game had not been released yet. Keep in mind that Chihiro's and Renji's story were released on "The Latter Tale" in May 2008 and not "The First Tale" in December 2006. I doubt even the script had been finalized at that point for the VN.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
irriadin wrote:
I was very surprised to see the score for animation, since I was always under the impression that ef had stunning animation. In the AMV community, ef is a very popular source material. After looking up the actual source for some of the most (over)used scenes, I found out that they're actually from the visual novel game opening and that Makoto Shinkai directed it. Go figure.

Here's the OP if anyone's interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGnJdvt0dcQ&t=00m49s

well now why am I not supervised about that... oh that reminds me if anyone has seen the anime tales of tiara they have decent game op as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W6fBHFKUXM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Madoka Magica or Bakemonogatari may as well as deserve the same grade too. It's simply the way SHAFT shows work.

PMMM is completely different. Madoka has a ton of AMAZING backgrounds, and jaw-dropping fight scenes (that also tend to have incredibly screwed-up absurdist styles). Madoka has quite a bit of nice-looking animation; I'm amazed it was done on a Tv-Budget (unless SHAFT really does alter that much for home release).
fireaxe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
Madoka Magica or Bakemonogatari may as well as deserve the same grade too. It's simply the way SHAFT shows work.

PMMM is completely different. Madoka has a ton of AMAZING backgrounds, and jaw-dropping fight scenes (that also tend to have incredibly screwed-up absurdist styles). Madoka has quite a bit of nice-looking animation; I'm amazed it was done on a Tv-Budget (unless SHAFT really does alter that much for home release).
Actually, they're both extremely similar in terms of style and designs. If ef had limited animation, Madoka definitely had some awkward character designs when shown from a distance, but I've barely ever heard anyone point that out (and yes, I'm a huge fan of both shows).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
This show is easily in my top 5, so I'm a little annoyed with this review on the overall score, but I grant when rating specific items it may make sense to give a C to animation where it's not done often enough. I think this may reveal why this kind of breakdown is simply unhelpful to a series like this one, however. If it had more plentiful scenes with complex animations in them, I don't think it would have made it even better.

So here I think it has absolutely nothing to do with the enjoyment of the series. The fact the overall review is only a B.. that's much more problematic to me. It seems really off. I agree the dub turned out well despite my initial complaints about Hiro's casting. I changed my mind on that when I watched the English version. This isn't perhaps as annoying as the review of Death Note a few years ago that was completely nuts (because it was based on the moral sense of the show rather than it's content) but I still feel it deserves better.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
This show is easily in my top 5, so I'm a little annoyed with this review on the overall score, but I grant when rating specific items it may make sense to give a C to animation where it's not done often enough. I think this may reveal why this kind of breakdown is simply unhelpful to a series like this one, however. If it had more plentiful scenes with complex animations in them, I don't think it would have made it even better.

So here I think it has absolutely nothing to do with the enjoyment of the series. The fact the overall review is only a B.. that's much more problematic to me. It seems really off. I agree the dub turned out well despite my initial complaints about Hiro's casting. I changed my mind on that when I watched the English version. This isn't perhaps as annoying as the review of Death Note a few years ago that was completely nuts (because it was based on the moral sense of the show rather than it's content) but I still feel it deserves better.

You would personally rate it higher. That does not mean rating it higher is right or more correct than the grade it has. You also did not write the review. Someone else did. It's someone else's opinion on the show, not yours. That's why it doesn't match yours 1:1.

Some of you really have a difficult time recognizing the difference between "my personal preference" and "fact".
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Zac, I never stated my opinion here was a fact or that reviews should match my ratings precisely. You're being overzealous in your defense here. I said it "seemed off" and that I was "a little annoyed."

Far be it from me to be wishy-washy in the past, so I'm not sure why you thought I was going overboard with my commentary here. I'm not exactly one to mince words if I have a real problem with something. The Death Note review a few years ago was one I did honestly think was idiotic, this is one I just don't agree with completely. When I say that I don't mean I expect a rating matching mine, but that I honestly think the show deserves the high ranking it has while this review would indicate otherwise.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
The problem I see as reflected in the review is more regards to how gimmicky it is at times. I think those of you who think animation has to be animated is either blind or just talking nonsense, since ef is clearly animated. There's actually plenty of animation. Just nothing animated in a way where it's eye-popping flashy.

Sorry, no, this is not a case where there's plenty of animation but it's just not flashy; see Hanasaku Iroha for an excellent example of what you're talking about.

Quote:
And it's probably a conscious choice in ef, too, because the way it uses striking changing cuts. If you have two pictures to show and you don't want to show the transition, of course you wouldn't animate the motion that goes between the two pictures. There are also a lot of cuts where only one portion of something gets animated because they want to highlight that one thing. For example, spoiler[chihiro's arm is the metaphorical "13 hours" in the sheep-on-a-chain 11-year clock, so you see her move her hand or arm because her stretch reflects what is changing in her life in terms of her memories, etc]. I think some people would want to distinguish that sort of lack-of-animation versus the garden variety cabbage kind.

So I think it's better to say "gimmicky" rather than "lack of animation" because there's actually plenty of animation. I mean, I am in the middle of watching the series and there's about as much animation as most other late night, low-budget shows.

Oh, the series is certainly gimmicky; that's manifestly evident in its shot selections and artistic elements. But let's not confuse artistry and animation here. I gave the series a much higher grade for the former because I was trying to draw a clear line on where I felt the problem was.

Mikeski wrote:
Theron Martin wrote:
"the scene [...] where this does happen is almost painful to watch."

...on the one hand, anyone who didn't see this coming needs to watch more moe shows.

...on the other, this does blatantly spoil one of the more important scenes in the show. Does it need to be in the review?

If one knows the nature of Chihiro's particular defect then the presence of that scene in the series is so utterly predictable that I do not feel that it can reasonably count as a spoiler.

ShinnFlowen wrote:
I think the review was pretty good, but I really wish ANN would provide more insight on the actual "english voice acting" because the characters can be great, the animation fluid, and the story is well fleshed out however you than encounter characters with spotty voices or voices that don't match them. If I wanted Japanese dub I would import, but I prefer english so I really want to know more about the PROS/CONS of the english dub. Sadly, only two sentences was written without stating the flaws leading to his rating of a "B".

Since you seem like a relative newcomer, you may not be aware that what you're referring to as the "dub" grade is actually an "Overall" grade with the dub factored in. The fact that it's the same as the "Overall (sub)" grade is an indicator that the English dub loses nothing compared to the Japanese dub. Normally I go into greater detail on dub casts, but in this case I didn't feel that was necessary because the performances were uniformy good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
If one knows the nature of Chihiro's particular defect then the presence of that scene in the series is so utterly predictable that I do not feel that it can reasonably count as a spoiler.
That scene is one of the high points of the series. You know, intellectually, that it exists, but it punches you in the face with the implications when you actually see it.

Actually, the whole of the show is a bunch of still frames to me. There are a few incredibly powerful scenes, connected by... stuff. It's an odd parallel to the animation issue.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Right, just thinking of the phone-booth scene still gives me goosebumps. And I haven't seen the show since it aired... I really can't wait to revisit it on BD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply Key! I'm no expert on literature/art/animation so I appreciate your explanation.

On another note,

I have troubles understanding why others are stating the grade was unfair when the reviewer came up with plenty of valid criticisms. One them being cheap on animation because you could tell after watching it consistently for 4 episodes straight they took shortcuts and made scenes where their faces were not shown like in Evangelion (Gendo Ikari) while they were conversing with one another or the characters would just be fairly stiff when sitting/standing for long periods of time.

THERE is a score for art style, which is a B+ so if you have something to argue about it would be why didn't he give it a A or A-. I think B+ is a great score considering it is 5 years old.

I think the ANN Editor Zac is being a bit mean in this forum. He's seriously not "treating people the way you would like to be treated".

Last edited by ShinnFlowen on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
AnimeMaine wrote:
There is one general problem with the disks, confirmed by Sentai. In episode 6, about 19:54, for just a moment, a bar appears across the right side of the screen. Otherwise, I recommend this as a teenaged-romance anime; I look forward to ef: a tale of melodies.

I just bought the memories and melodies BD but haven't opened them yet. Is there more information about this? Is Sentai offering exchanges?

I don't think it's a major problem at all ... I watched the entire series and didn't notice at all.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
configspace wrote:
AnimeMaine wrote:
There is one general problem with the disks, confirmed by Sentai. In episode 6, about 19:54, for just a moment, a bar appears across the right side of the screen. Otherwise, I recommend this as a teenaged-romance anime; I look forward to ef: a tale of melodies.

I just bought the memories and melodies BD but haven't opened them yet. Is there more information about this? Is Sentai offering exchanges?

I don't think it's a major problem at all ... I watched the entire series and didn't notice at all.

I watched this whole series and I don't remember seeing this either or it wasn't noticeable. Hopefully it was just a relatively few BD that were affected.
SaharaFrost

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
ShinnFlowen wrote:

THERE is a score for art style, which is a B+ so if you have something to argue about it would be why didn't he give it a A or A-. I think B+ is a great score considering it is 5 years old.

Gosh, I feel like a complete idiot. Thanks for pointing this out Shinn...I totally missed this. Apologies, Key...looks like I was arguing about nothing...
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
SaharaFrost wrote:
ShinnFlowen wrote:

Gosh, I feel like a complete idiot. Thanks for pointing this out Shinn...I totally missed this. Apologies, Key...looks like I was arguing about nothing...

Well no one pointed out the difference between "Animation to Art" so I would say the moderators did not help you understand that you were mistaken and it is even more odd they argued against you when it was not the animation that was the issue. Even if you were a bit confused that doesn't mean you still agree with the Art score of B+.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5