• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga UK Announces U.K. DVD Release of Dragonball Z from July 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
That's all bollox now as both formats are dead and buried. The only thing to convert now is the scan rate frequency 50/60hz. Region coding is the only dinosaur still left standing that should have gone extinct like NTSC and PAL. Rolling Eyes

The scan rate determines the frame rate (25 vs 30 fps for video). DBZ being film at 24fps complicates things further unless they are using 24p. PAL and NTSC DVDs also have different resolutions.
You can't just slap a different region code on and hope that every prospective buyer has the equipment and connections to handle it. Madman are considering doing NTSC DVDs for selected releases but I cannot see Manga being that adventurous.
1080i is the same all over the world. It's the broadcast standard in every country that is transmitting in HD. That was the plan when HD was developed to eliminate the three different standards of the analogue SD format. Scan rate, meaning the the lines of tracing across receivers, is determined by that country's mains line frequency, 50/60hz. HDCam tape, the format used the most in film and TV production, is still the only way to get masters to distributors for editing and duplication, though that is starting to change with the supply of HD tape becoming ever so rare due to the earthquake and tsunami in Japan literally scouring the factory off the surface of the planet last year. Broadcasting is evolving towards more and more server based creation and editing processes. Meanwhile a tape that was recorded in 60hz. will not play very well in a 50hz. tape deck and vice-versa, hence the frequency conversion. Japan has the sole distinction of being the only nation with half the country on 50hz. whilst the other half is on 60hz. There's bureaucracy for ya. NTSC and PAL as an actual active format is now dead as is SECAM and is now just a nickname for the countries they use to service.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:04 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
That's all bollox now as both formats are dead and buried. The only thing to convert now is the scan rate frequency 50/60hz. Region coding is the only dinosaur still left standing that should have gone extinct like NTSC and PAL. Rolling Eyes

The scan rate determines the frame rate (25 vs 30 fps for video). DBZ being film at 24fps complicates things further unless they are using 24p. PAL and NTSC DVDs also have different resolutions.
You can't just slap a different region code on and hope that every prospective buyer has the equipment and connections to handle it. Madman are considering doing NTSC DVDs for selected releases but I cannot see Manga being that adventurous.
1080i is the same all over the world. It's the broadcast standard in every country that is transmitting in HD. That was the plan when HD was developed to eliminate the three different standards of the analogue SD format. Scan rate, meaning the the lines of tracing across receivers, is determined by that country's mains line frequency, 50/60hz. HDCam tape, the format used the most in film and TV production, is still the only way to get masters to distributors for editing and duplication, though that is starting to change with the supply of HD tape becoming ever so rare due to the earthquake and tsunami in Japan literally scouring the factory off the surface of the planet last year. Broadcasting is evolving towards more and more server based creation and editing processes. Meanwhile a tape that was recorded in 60hz. will not play very well in a 50hz. tape deck and vice-versa, hence the frequency conversion. Japan has the sole distinction of being the only nation with half the country on 50hz. whilst the other half is on 60hz. There's bureaucracy for ya. NTSC and PAL as an actual active format is now dead as is SECAM and is now just a nickname for the countries they use to service.

Unfortunately, 1080i isn't 1080i all over the world. It is as you say still split up by scan rate, 50Hz or 60Hz. Which is why, in this day and age, we still have the insanity of 1080i 50Hz Blu-rays being released with the equivalent of PAL speedup, a 4% faster playback to compensate for frame rate. It's much rarer than the ubiquity of before, but UK discs like The King's Speech, or Henry of Navarre actually wind up inferior to offerings from other regions, where they at least put the content on disc in progressive format.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
1080i is the same all over the world[...]

Last I was aware we were talking about DVDs...?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2