• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Done] Split Masahiko Arai Person #20222

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Masahiko Arai

Looks to be an animator and a production person.

To be split as animator:

新井昌彦 - 3x3 Eyes Seima Densetsu (OAV) per source.
新井昌彦 - Ghost in the Shell (no source given, but I found this.)
新井昌彦 - Jin-Roh per source.
新井昌彦 - Lost Chapter of the Stars, per source.
新井昌彦 - Lupin III Pursuit of Harimao's Treasure per source.
新井昌彦 - Medabots per source.
新井昌彦 - Neon Genesis Evangelion source given is dead, found new source here.
新井昌彦 - Ookiku Furikabutte ~Natsu no Taikai-hen~ (TV) per source.
新井昌彦 - Tokyo Mew Mew per source.
新井昌彦 - Touch Crossroads per source.
新井昌彦 - Turn A Gundam per source.

Production (current kanji associated with the page):

新井正彦 - Astro Boy: Shinsen-gumi original source is password protected, but I found this source
新井正彦 - Suzuka per source.

Unable to verify:
Niea_7 - Key Animation
Black Jack OVA - Production Coordination
Fatal Fury movie - Production Coordination
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Niea_7 : 原画:新井昌彦 in episode 13 (D2_STATION)

Sourced with this URL, right now I changed the kanji name to 新井昌彦 for the time being as the animator has the majority of the credits and should be accessible with priority.

Black Jack (OAV): 制作担当:新井正彦 (http://tezukaosamu.net/jp/anime/26.html)
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
A couple of questions:

1) What do you need to have installed to make D2_Station not look like this? I'm running Vista and using Firefox 11.0, but I also tried it with Chrome (17.0.963.83 m, apparently).

2) Are you an editor now?
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote
1. I don't know the exact menu entry names in English (my Firefox runs in German) but in the 3rd menu of Firefox (view? display?) there must be an entry "character encoding". Set this manually to the appropriate value - which varies from page to page. (In this case it is "Japanese (Shift-JIS)".)
If the web site is sending not only the page but also the encoding used then Firefox will automatically use the correct encoding. But as you see that's not always the case.
More recent Japanese websites might use Unicode these days instead but some of D2_STATION's pages are pretty old. What's more, D2_STATION changed their way of writing web pages over time. Example: See this page for "Working!" that will correctly display in your browser even without you setting the character encoding. Look at the HTML page source: This more recent page contains a line
Code:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=Shift_JIS">
telling your browser how to interpret the bytes within this page; the older Niea_7 page is lacking this statement.

2. No. I'm not even "encyclopedia supporter" like you are. It's just that I contributed the kanji names for many, many persons at ANN (in order to make contributing directly from kanji sources more efficient by getting a higher "translation hit rate" of ANN's "mass credit" procedure) and, still being their owner, can edit them even now. (For Arai Masahiko this was when I contributed credits for Suzuka, that's why he had the "producer" kanji name.)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
In Chrome (where I am now) the character encoding is on the spanner menu, under "tools" then "encoding". My Chrome, however, correctly detected it as "Japanese (Shift_JIS)".

--edit--

Regarding the Tezuka source, the site moved from tezuka.co.jp to tezukaosamu.net and all the old links are coming up 401. Some of the same content is available on the new site, but not all of it (but there is always archive.org)

--edit--

Split as Masahiko ARAI (production staff).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
Thanks guys, that text display thing was bothersome. And Devil Doll, my title is just a subscriber rank, if you aren't an editor, then we are both on the same level.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Thanks guys, that text display thing was bothersome.

If you don't already have them installed, there are four character encoding schemes for Japanese (in approximate descending order of use): Unicode, Shift JIS, EUC-JP, and ISO-2022-JP. I recommend adding all of them to your browsers' (character) encoding lists.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
All four character encoding schemes are "installed" in Firefox 11 but not in its "active list" per default.
As soon as I added them there the D2_STATION page for Niea_7 was displayed correctly without manual code selection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1