• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Another episodes 7-12 streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
Well, assuming that he is not spoiler[Kouichi], it still doesn't explain the fact that spoiler[Kouichi doesn't remember his stay at Yomiyama 1.5 year ago.]

But spoiler[his stay never happened because Reiko never got murdered, at least until Kouichi did her in. That's the stupid power of the curse for you.]
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
jojothepunisher wrote:
Well, assuming that he is not spoiler[Kouichi], it still doesn't explain the fact that spoiler[Kouichi doesn't remember his stay at Yomiyama 1.5 year ago.]

But spoiler[his stay never happened because Reiko never got murdered, at least until Kouichi did her in. That's the stupid power of the curse for you.]

....spoiler[yeah she was murdered or killed due to the x curse/drowned 1 1/2 years ago. Saying she didn't die..what?] I will re post this chart one last time people please pay attention. and eh peace out, a url link below for a bigger image as well.
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii302/NarutoxHinata4ever_2007/?action=view&current=1332786071002.jpg

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Of course she died, but while the curse was in effect she hadn't died; reality was rewritten to make it so that the murder never happened. Once the curse was over reality went back to how it was before; with her dead.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Of course she died, but while the curse was in effect she hadn't died; reality was rewritten to make it so that the murder never happened. Once the curse was over reality went back to how it was before; with her dead.

Hmm.. .that's just the way Japanese curses work. It's how they do their writing and it's a niche taste love or hate "i personally love it". It reminds me of the game corpse party for the psp where 10 high schoolers and teacher where trapped in dimensional vortex/space time of an old school that was torn down. I won't spoil much but those that where killed where completely forgotten the the survivors got back.

It's as if those people never existed at all and only those who where there remember those who died. Again it's not a cup of tea everyone likes because the writing is niche and different from what most people are used to. That's all I am going to say on it lawl no point in arguing over a taste in genre it's pointless~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Her spoiler['magic powers'] were hinted at near the start so it hardly came out of nowhere. That's the thing about the series: rewatch it and you'll be able to pick up on the truckload of foreshadowing. I spoiled myself around episode 4 or so and was able to notice the hints on the first watch.

May not have been scary (but let's face it, nothing is scary anymore) but the series is extremely well crafted, atmospheric, griping, and extremely enjoyable. A great show.

That doesn't make it less stupid. That just shows that the writer knew from the beginning that he'd written himself into a hole and needed to add something stupid and out of place to resolve the story. Some would say that that's an indication that you need to tweak your idea a little but clearly this man disagrees. Oh, and as you do as well, could you provide me with a satisfying explanation as to why spoiler[losing an eye and replacing it with an artificial one = superpowers.]

The not being scary thing I agree isn't actually a big issue. I only bring it up because it clearly wanted to be and if it had succeeded then it would have at least been good for something aside from the trashy fun (all hail Murder Maid!) of the final two episodes.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Easy explanation. Mei had a near death experience when her eye was operated on. As such that eye is connected to death, allowing her to see it.

Think Shiki Tohno from Tsukihime.

We got dead people coming back and modifying everyone's memories. How is Mei's eye out of place?

Oh, and about the manager couple: remember they are the grandparents of the kid who died of a heart attack so they are also vulnerable to the curse. We've seen the curse cause loss of sanity before (the teacher) so it's not that odd.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one is angry that curse never got fully lifted because the next class 3 is still screwed.

I think as a start for a new series this show does a great show introducing the curse, the fears of the students, and the lengths one must go through to temporarily stop the curse. My problem is that there is so much more that can be done with the story if they choose to make a sequel and ending it where they did just begs for Misaki/Kouichi or the future class to dive deeper into the mysteries of the curse.

As a self contain story it would've made the series better if Kouichi had inner monologues to show his thought process as he comes off as an idiot in the beginning as you don't realize he's not just some dude who's living in his own world. Also, that clue in end is debatable because if you were told in the beginning than there is a high chance a lot of us would've made the connection.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
ShinnFlowen wrote:
I'm surprised no one is angry that curse never got fully lifted because the next class 3 is still screwed.

That's not really something to get angry about. They're just ordinary middle school kids so how would they be able to figure out and permanently disarm a supernatural force? Putting a stop to it in their year to ensure their own safety is about all they were capable of.

John Saul is mentioned at one point and he's clearly an influence. All of Saul's books end with the evil living on, much like this show.

For the record, there is going to be a sequel.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
ShinnFlowen wrote:

That's not really something to get angry about. They're just ordinary middle school kids so how would they be able to figure out and permanently disarm a supernatural force? Putting a stop to it in their year to ensure their own safety is about all they were capable of.

John Saul is mentioned at one point and he's clearly an influence. All of Saul's books end with the evil living on, much like this show.

For the record, there is going to be a sequel.

I didn't research the author's style of writing, so I did not know that it was meant to be written to end as it did. I thought the students were in high school, but that would explain why everyone is so dam weak and similar in height.

I was happy you said there is a sequel until I checked and found out he's still "Writing" it...... At least there is hope for the mystery of the curse to be resolved.
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Easy explanation. Mei had a near death experience when her eye was operated on. As such that eye is connected to death, allowing her to see it.

Think Shiki Tohno from Tsukihime.

We got dead people coming back and modifying everyone's memories. How is Mei's eye out of place?

Oh, and about the manager couple: remember they are the grandparents of the kid who died of a heart attack so they are also vulnerable to the curse. We've seen the curse cause loss of sanity before (the teacher) so it's not that odd.

That 'explanation' stinks of excuse.

It's out of place because it has nothing to do with the central curse. All the other counters to the curse (spoiler[ignoring someone, killing the extra]) relate to it and work within its rules. Mei's eye, however, is a just a contrivance that clearly only exists because the writer got a point through his book and then realised he didn't know how the characters were going to figure out the extra. It's lazy writing, plain and simple.

Sure, you could go with the provided explanation that she'srelated to some dude that we'll take their word for it was in it at some point, but doesn't it become much more entertaining if you imagine that she's just a murderous chancer who saw that things were kicking off and thought 'this is my chance'?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:20 am Reply with quote
Now, I haven't read the book, but your complaints about Mei's eye make no sense based on the way the anime played out at least.

For one thing, the fact that her eye can see odd things was established very early in the anime series. It's not something suddenly thrown into the ending without foreshadowing. And the abilities of the eye make as much sense as any of the other supernatural aspects of the series.

But most importantly, at the end, Meispoiler[ remembers seeing Reiko get murdered, and it is that, not her eye, that finally convinces Kouichi that his aunt is the extra.
]

To put it another way, you could easily cut out the entire plot involving Mei's eye and still have the extra person identified at the end of the series, with no real additions necessary. Heck, in the Another discussion thread, some people critical of the series have argued that the plot involving the eye was entirely pointless because of this.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quote
I find it funny how one can complain about Mei's eye when the whole show is about a curse which is not normal to begin with either. The minute the supernatural comes into effect in a story you can expect weird things to happen so the complaint about her eye is pretty irrelevant.

People die from a curse and we never find out the direct "origins" of how this curse was created and you'd rather complain about an eye....................

1) Curses that kill people exist check mark
2) Magical eyes cross mark
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:44 am Reply with quote
@ShinnFlowen - Laughing Well put. But I guess with some people, you're only allowed one supernatural element per show. Rolling Eyes Yeah, it would have been SOOOOOOOO much more interesting if Mei didn't have an eyepatch, spoiler[doll's eye and the ability to see dead people.] Rolling Eyes
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Yes, because it doesn't thread together with the other supernatural elements, making the story messy and destroying willling suspension of disbelief.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ShinnFlowen - Laughing Well put. But I guess with some people, you're only allowed one supernatural element per show. Rolling Eyes Yeah, it would have been SOOOOOOOO much more interesting if Mei didn't have an eyepatch, spoiler[doll's eye and the ability to see dead people.] Rolling Eyes

I can understand how people can have little tolerance for a lot of supernatural elements, but her eye patch helped create the "anxiety" that made the class + the protagonist to be curious or suspicious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3