• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Picks Up Evangelion:1.0 Anime Film Remake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
If FUNi has deep enough pockets I doubt this is going to be a crippling financial blow. Look how much stuff they license and release on a regular basis.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:04 am Reply with quote
Funimation probably sees this as a good investment. For a while people forgot about this one but after the second one was announced more people started downloading it from what I can tell. I'm pretty sure with good promotion they can make their money back. They might even be able to catch the science fiction fans and film critics which might ultimately do ADV some good also seeing as they have the license for the original series.

Either way I'm happy Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:41 am Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
Presuming your claim is true,

I'm basing it on Zac's observation, and my own, too. Hayter had the biggest turn-out at the con, period.

Quote:
you're comparing an in-person guest appearance with a screening of a film that was released on DVD several months earlier.

R2 DVD, thus making it irrelevant. Yes, AX gets foreign tourists, but they don't normally make up the bulk of the attendees. And the last time any anime film on Youtube got significantly bootlegged was Advent Children. Plus, Hayter's based in the States, so fans might have a better chance of catching him again than they would an exclusive screening of Eva 1.0. The fact that they crowded the room for him to the point that they wouldn't even let me come back after I left clearly means he was the highlight of the event for attendees. The last time I saw a similarly high turn-out was, once again, that free screening of Advent Children in L.A.

Quote:
It would be more illuminating to compare the audience for Stranger, for example, to the Evangelion audience.

If you mean Sword of the Stranger, no it would not, since that's like comparing the audience for Ninja Scroll with the audience for Gundam.

Quote:
So....Manga Entertainment gets the first two Eva movies. Then Manga gets Blood. Then Manga gets Japanese SF 2. Then Manga "pretty much" stopped buying high-profile titles.
Gatsu: I blame Eva!

Actually, SF 2 was their last "high-profile" title, and that was in-between a very dry licensing period. My point is that those Eva flicks probably cost more than they were worth, and that the fans didn't in fact buy it en masse, as anticipated. It might not have helped that those two flicks were actually more bootlegged than the new one, but I'm guessing it's because the hardcore fanbase is actually smaller for it than the casual fanbase.

Quote:
Anyone else notice the contradiction here?

Nope. FUNi held off on their Eva 1.0 announcement for a while, which means that it cost at least a hefty penny.

Quote:
Khara is making the new films and NTV is licensing them to Funimation. Gainax is not doing the charging. It's not even in the copyright notice for the new films.

Perhaps, but Gainax is clearly charging some fees to allow other companies to produce these sequels in its stead, since, last time I checked, they have the copyright to the concept.

Last edited by GATSU on Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:49 am; edited 2 times in total
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:45 am Reply with quote
Anno created his own company to do the movies and I'm pretty sure it includes some of not most of the original staff so I'm not sure how that works but from what I hear Gainax had nothing to do with the licensing.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:56 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Anno created his own company to do the movies and I'm pretty sure it includes some of not most of the original staff so I'm not sure how that works but from what I hear Gainax had nothing to do with the licensing.

If the Rebuild retellings are not considered intellectual property of Gainax, would that mean Anno has sole creative control over the franchise?
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:26 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
R2 DVD, thus making it irrelevant. Yes, AX gets foreign tourists, but they don't normally make up the bulk of the attendees. And the last time any anime film on Youtube got significantly bootlegged was Advent Children. Plus, Hayter's based in the States, so fans might have a better chance of catching him again than they would an exclusive screening of Eva 1.0. The fact that they crowded the room for him to the point that they wouldn't even let me come back after I left clearly means he was the highlight of the event for attendees. The last time I saw a similarly high turn-out was, once again, that free screening of Advent Children in L.A.

Quote:
If you mean Sword of the Stranger, no it would not, since that's like comparing the audience for Ninja Scroll with the audience for Gundam.

Again, you're comparing apples and oranges--as opposed to comparing movies premieres at the same event. You're fine with comparing a movie screening with an in-person guest appearance for an unrelated franchise, but draw the line at comparing two movie screenings at the same event?

Quote:
Actually, SF 2 was their last "high-profile" title, and that was in-between a very dry licensing period. My point is that those Eva flicks probably cost more than they were worth, and that the fans didn't in fact buy it en masse, as anticipated. It might not have helped that those two flicks were actually more bootlegged than the new one, but I'm guessing it's because the hardcore fanbase is actually smaller for it than the casual fanbase.

Quote:
Nope. FUNi held off on their Eva 1.0 announcement for a while, which means that it cost at least a hefty penny.

You're still blaming Eva for Manga no longer releasing "high-profile" titles....while admitting that Manga released "high-profile" titles after Eva. Anyone else notice that he still presents speculation as "fact"?

Quote:
Perhaps, but Gainax is clearly charging some fees to allow other companies to produce these sequels in its stead, since, last time I checked, they have the copyright to the concept.

You haven't check lately. Again, look at the copyright.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:42 am Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
Again, you're comparing apples and oranges--as opposed to comparing movies premieres at the same event. You're fine with comparing a movie screening with an in-person guest appearance for an unrelated franchise, but draw the line at comparing two movie screenings at the same event?

The difference is that the former example cites two specific franchises with significant fanbases.

Quote:
You're still blaming Eva for Manga no longer releasing "high-profile" titles....while admitting that Manga released "high-profile" titles after Eva. Anyone else notice that he still presents speculation as "fact"?

No, I'm saying they couldn't afford any new high-profile titles. SF II was something they couldn't get the Japanese rights to, due to Sony.

Quote:

Animation Cooperation: GAINAX
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:54 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
The difference is that the former example cites two specific franchises with significant fanbases.

Again, you're still comparing a movie showing with an in-guest appearance, and yet you're claiming we can make a valid observation from this. Please acknowledge this logical fallacy.

Quote:
No, I'm saying they couldn't afford any new high-profile titles. SF II was something they couldn't get the Japanese rights to, due to Sony.

Except Manga did at least have Blood--as you acknowledged while simultaneously arguing otherwise. Please acknowledge this discrepancy.

Quote:
Quote:

Animation Cooperation: GAINAX

That is not the copyright notice. Bones did "Monitor Work Cooperation" but it's not part of the copyright either. Please acknowledge this mistake.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:58 am Reply with quote
Would you guys mind getting back on track? No offense but should this continue further...

...will probably happen.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:16 am Reply with quote
Woah, this was a nice surprise to log on to - I guess Funi felt like coming out of left field with this one. Get our hopes up, let us think they were letting us down, and then BAM - very tricky, Funi!

On the topic of voice acting - I've gotta agree with what seems to be the majority in that I really at least want to see Tiffany Grant and Allison Keith back as Asuka and Misato. They're irreplaceable, in my book. I'd really be shocked if Tiffany Grant wasn't brought back.

I would really like to see Tristan back as Gendo as well. I've gotten to see him reprise his role as Gendo at Anime Punch's annual Evangelion Puppet Show twice now, and while people typically laughed their asses off at the horrible puppetry more than anything else, I'd say Tristan can still do Gendo well enough Razz In all seriousness, though, he does still seem to have an attachment to the series, and still seems to be in touch with the character, from what I've heard him say about it. I do remember hearing him express some concern at how faithful these movies would be in terms of retaining the more philosophical aspects of the show, and whatnot, but hopefully that won't be much of a problem. Hopefully. I'm still a little wary, myself. Guess we'll see what happens.

And to look towards the future a little bit - is anybody else concerned about Kaworu's voice actor? If they're going to go after old voice actors to satisfy fans, then this is where I get a little shaky. Of the 3 voice actors to portray Kaworu(and isn't it a little ridiculous that he had 3 voice actors, considering he was only in one episode of the original series? Razz ), it seems like Greg Ayres would be the easiest to get, and if I'm honest, his was my least favorite performance. I'd actually prefer a brand new voice actor over him - not to say he's bad, I really just don't think he's a good match for Kaworu.

Anybody know what Aaron Krohn and Kyle Sturdivant have been up to, if anything? Doesn't seem like much on either front, from what I can see, which is a little upsetting for me. Kyle seems like the less likely of the two to return, so if they can get Aaron back as Kaji, I'm hoping they'll get him to play Kaworu as well. If neither, then a new voice actor would be fine by me, provided they get somebody good, of course. spoiler[Because based on what we saw at the end of the 1st movie, Kaworu's role is going to be significantly expanded, and I really don't want to sit through potentially 3 movies' worth of Greg Ayres crippling Kaworu's voice.]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:52 am Reply with quote
If Kaworu has to be replaced I want it to be Crispin Freeman. I think a toned down Albedo voice would work for Kaworu. I really want the original cast back thouh
Daichi09

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:02 am Reply with quote
The only thing I want from this, I'm almost certain I'm not going to get. And that's a PROGRESSIVE DVD transfer, like the Japanese DVD is.

But for some reason, I haven't seen any Progressive R1 Anime DVDs, even though just about everyone can play them now.

Oh well, I own the import, so I'll live.
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:02 am Reply with quote
Daichi09 wrote:
But for some reason, I haven't seen any Progressive R1 Anime DVDs, even though just about everyone can play them now.
You think that's bad? Most R2UK releases are from the R1 interlaced source. Yes, from 60Hz interlaced to 50Hz interlaced. Mangle Ent are famous for this (for a laugh, try the Macross Plus UK release. It looks like a VHS).
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
If Kaworu has to be replaced I want it to be Crispin Freeman. I think a toned down Albedo voice would work for Kaworu. I really want the original cast back thouh

Ah, yes, Crispin Freeman would be a pretty good choice, I would be very happy with that. I'd been trying to think of good VAs for the role, but the only person I could think of was Johnny Yong Bosch, mainly due to Spike Spencer's role in Code Geass R2. And while I'm kind of curious as to whether or not Johnny could pull off a good Kaworu now, I'd rather not run the risk of thinking I'm hearing Lelouche and Rolo converse in an Eva movie, heh.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
animelov3r

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Seeing how they brought back everyone for FMP TSR I'm hoping they can do the same for Eva. I would be crushed if Allison isn't Misato. Dx
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10