• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Picks Up Evangelion:1.0 Anime Film Remake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. Now can we get a special edition cover with just Pen Pen on it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote
After all the unbelievable hype for Eva over the years, and by the absolutely gorgeous look of this new remake, I'm finally gonna give it a try and hope for the best.
I've heard a lotta praise for its story and introversion of characters, aspects of which I've always valued in cartoons and anime in general, and I must admit one of the reasons I was turned off of Eva the first time 'round was because of its somewhat stale visuals (I don't mean to sound shallow, so I sincerely hope this statement isn't taken as such, but I think that since I'm an artist I'm especially sensitive to a series' look). Embarassed

As for what FUNi has announced on the whole, I think it's a very, very solid lineup and I can't wait to see some of the series. In particular, I've heard loads of good things about both Nabari and Soul Eater, so I'm eager to see 'em for myself. Anime catgrin
Axaul Conners

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Thank God someone to release it PROPERLY. I really REALLY, resented the quick, cash-in, side step, blander than vanilla release that Australia got with the Red Ant distribution of this movie.

I'll be voting with my money and it WON'T be going to Red Ant. Evangelion deserves so much more than a 5.1 Japanese track, scene selection and english subtitles. I will waiting with baited breath for the Region 1 release. Then I'd pick it up again if it does get a Region 4 release.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
The trailer posted was AWESOME!!! Well basically it's the original Japanese teaser:

http://www.funimation.com/evangelion/

Now this is the only thing I would buy a Blue-Ray Player for.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, finally they announce it. This and Soul Eater are easily their biggest announcements, but I'm sure Eva will sell more, it being a single product versus multiple DVDs, and cheaper.

Also, November 10th is quite a wait.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Now we can only hope with that FUNimation will use its awesome power to bring back the original cast that adv used. Though they did it with other shows so I have faith in there awesomeness. I feel like an Evangelion marathon to celebrate.
Vapors

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
As Ice Cube would say, "Today was a very good day."

Looking forward to Eva and hope they can get all the principal actors back.

I'm enjoying the manga of Soul Eater put out by Yen Plus, so I'm willing to give this a spin.

I've been meaning to pick up Count of Monte Cristo and Nabari no Ou is worth a spin.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Normally, I try to keep things from the same series in the same format, but i think I'll make an exception for Evangelion 1.01, since you just KNOW that's gonna get a BD release. You just know ADV will eventually decide to cash in on Evangelion further with a BD Eva release, and I'll buy that when it happens, but what are the odds End of Evangelion getting a BD release sometime?
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Despite owning the R3HK w/ English subs, I'll gladly support the R1 release and pick this up when they release it. It'd be especially nice if a BD gets released.

It'd be a real treat to keep the cast continuity...
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Well this is HORRIBLE news.

HORRIBLE.

Funimation, how dare you release a bunch of great anime and make me appreciative of your efforts!?!? HOW DARE YOU?!!? GAH!

Mad

I'm joshin' you. This is great. I saw this twice in the theater. It was great. Pre-orderin'!
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Makes you wonder what the dubbing will be for this title.

I kinda find it hard for them to get the original english cast to do the job, regardless of what I or anyone feels about it. Spike Spencer moved to Los Angeles and seems to be with Viz and Bandai now. And Amanda Winn Lee has...wait, where the hell is she?

So, most likely it'll be a new english cast this time around.

Anyway, great to have Eva coming over. Now where the hell's Zetsubou Sensei?

Last edited by prime_pm on Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I think you have to be in a certain frame of mind and accept EVA for what it is. (You don't have to be a depressed teenager to like it, either.) I don't think it's a bad show, but I also don't think it's in my top 5, either.

That said, here's hoping these "remake" movies are much better than the original two condensed films that got released by Manga. (Passed on those, btw, after I heard about all the story issues and Manga's lackluster authoring job. Might still be a Japanese master issue because prior to the Definitive/Platinum releases the original TV series never had a good home video release in the US or Japan.)

At this point in the game, there is also going to be pressure on Funimation to do Blu-Ray releases of the new EVA movies. They're the big boys in the US now and early-adopter, ultra-impatient fans are going to watch and see what they do with the new format.
Maruna

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
So, there's eight more slots for shows, and the ball on FUNi's page just returned to the top after Soul Eater.

We couldn't possibly be getting more, right? What could possibly out-hype Soul Eater and Evangelion?

Card Captor Sakura?

Last edited by Maruna on Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mastertr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. Thanks Funimation =] It's a definite buy from me, seeing as I just purchased the entire Platinum series from TRSI's store. I can finally delete the fansub version I have Razz.

Also looking forward to Romeo x Juliet being released on DVD (love the sub job) and Gunslinger Girl II which I've been watching on your streaming video service.

Keep up the good work Funimation :] Hope you guys have a great New Year.
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Maruna wrote:
So, there's eight more slots for shows, and the ball on FUNi's page just returned to the top after Soul Eater.

We couldn't possibly be getting more, right? What could possibly out-hype Soul Eater and Evangelion?

Card Captor Sakura?

Of course! There setting it up just like they do in New York with the ball droping. I'll bet will be seeing a lot more releases.
Edit. I'm guessing one every hour or so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10