• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Drill Bits and Dead Leaves

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:06 pm Reply with quote
(Dead leaves doesn't sound like my kinda thing...) Anime is entertainment. It doesn't have to have some incredible story or theme - although these things are what really make a truly great anime. For me, an anime can be great even if its only redeeming values are excellent animation. And even that isn't such a great factor that it can ruin any given series if its qualities are poor. It can be fun and lighthearted, or serious and introspective or action packed or whatever.

I enjoyed Blood and GITS, not my favorites, but they were cool. And of course Innocence was made considering the success of the first movie (Did GITS really do that poorly?) - most sequels are.
Neilworms

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I guess we all know that innovation=garbage you know why? We all want character designs to lose any sense of creativity so thus dead leaves sucks :P

No wonder the fansubbers never seem to want to sub anything that's innovative studio 4C has so much great work, but "its ugly" and its "weird" not to mention it isn't a brand new tv show, so anything like that is out of their league :P

In my opinon the normal anime style is ugly and uncreative :P.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:19 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
I can beat all of you. My school's mascot is the Dead Rat. And no, I'm not making that up.

... That, is and AWESOME mascot. Anime cry I wish that was my highschool's mascot.
Noriko-chan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:12 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
Personally,I find the whole Gravitation series (in any language) to be a perishable item.

...and I'm hopelessly addicted to it. I wasn't too fond of that review, but...whatever.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Dead Rat has got to be the most awesome mascot I've heard of. It's so unusual. Also, I enjoyed My Dear Marie(though Yuko Miyamura added points to it). The manga's pretty entertaining too. Not everything needs to be flawless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:42 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
BOOURNS! i personally love Dead Leaves, and can't see why so many people hate it. i mean come on, is it suddenly out of style to just make a fun movie? what rule said every anime movie has to be like Ghost In The Shell?

I think the people that don't like DL are the people that want thier character typical. They're not used to changes and when something conventional comes along, they fear it.

For me personally, I like anime that are unique and has a lot of style. One I can remember was Colorful because it was so off the wall yet many people hate it. Samurai champloo has good animation/plot/direction yet so many people hate it because it incorporate "hip hop" or there's no continous long plot. All I say is as long as it's enjoyable and appealing, than it's good.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:03 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter: I was ok with teh art style, but the anime went nowhere. It was trying to have it both ways, by being "edgy" and having a redeemable plot; but it wound up having neither element.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:45 pm Reply with quote
After just watching it, I can understand what Gatsu is saying. They did make to plot a bit to prominant, and it wasn't as edgy as I was expecting. It really didn't have too many redeeming elements. But the animation was amazing, and the mindless violence was fun, as well as the humor, so its a fun watch and I'm glad I saw it. But yea, it was a bit overhyped.
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:

As far as school mascots- you want crappy mascots? In elementary school we started as Hares.. that's alright for little kids.. in middle school we were Dragons, which is hard to top.. and then in high school, that's right, we were Maple Leaves. Yes, I was a frikkin' leaf. And no, I'm not Canadian either!

Hah, I take it you would be a fellow Seaholm grad? Nothing like a freaking leaf to inspire school pride eh? Class of '98 here by the way.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and that Dead Rat for a mascot is awesome. My high school mascot was a dragon (drawn in the Chinese stlye), which was appropriate because it probobly has the largest Asian population of any school in the city.
Nani?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:45 am Reply with quote
Neilworms wrote:
I guess we all know that innovation=garbage you know why? We all want character designs to lose any sense of creativity so thus dead leaves sucks

Innovation does not equal garbage, but it doesn't inovation by itself does not by itself a good Anime or anything make. Take Kino's Journey; a lot of people can't take the fact spoiler[The motorcycle talks, and is responded to] and gave up on the series right away. To them it was garbage. I, and I suspect to a larger portion of the Japanese audience, really liked it and bought into it.

Quote:
No wonder the fansubbers never seem to want to sub anything that's innovative studio 4C has so much great work, but "its ugly" and its "weird" not to mention it isn't a brand new tv show, so anything like that is out of their league Razz

Fansubbers and scantilation sight people, when they suspect they can't do justice to anothers work tend to shy away.That is part of why "innovative work" sometimes doesn't get done.
They are human also. They, (and reviewers too) like to be apperciated so, the more kudos, the better, and they tend to get that (as well as complains if they don't) from the more popular series.
So, when you find an anime addiction support person who is particularly helpful, drop them a message and let them know,Very Happy especially if they turn you on to something "innovative" that you didn't know about before. You'll encourage them to do more.
But also remember, don't be a pest.

All the Best,

Nani?
jfrog

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:03 am Reply with quote
I don't think you need those spoiler tags. Kino's motorcycle starts talking to her at the beginning of the first episode. And yes, fansubbing groups like to be well known. But it's a matter of quantity vs quality there. They get a little appreciation from a lot of people for putting out the latest episode of Naruto, but I'd love forever a group that would fansub Space Runaway Ideon, Kanashimi no Belladonna, or Tobe! Kujira no Peek. But it'd probably take less time for me to learn Japanese than to wait for a fansub of those, especially the last two.

And yes, I know the Dead Rat is awesome. As the story goes, it was named after something they found in the water cooler back in the 80's. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Neilworms

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fansubbers and scantilation sight people, when they suspect they can't do justice to anothers work tend to shy away.That is part of why "innovative work" sometimes doesn't get done.
They are human also. They, (and reviewers too) like to be apperciated so, the more kudos, the better, and they tend to get that (as well as complains if they don't) from the more popular series.
So, when you find an anime addiction support person who is particularly helpful, drop them a message and let them know,icon_biggrin.gif especially if they turn you on to something "innovative" that you didn't know about before. You'll encourage them to do more.
But also remember, don't be a pest.

This is exactly the problems with fansubbers now, they want attention. Some fansubbers I think go so far as to treat themselves like a business, in fact some groups claim that the shows they are working on are their own O_o who cares if someone put a lot of hard work and effort in japan to doing something, the translator is far more important in their eyes :P. (Its also one of the reasons why they credit themselves instead of at the very least, and yes I know translating names is difficult, the should at least attempt to translate/look up the names of the writer and director.)

I wouldn't care for attention, what matters to me is that shows that few know about are out there, if there is any ego aspect to me at all it would be being able to have other people know about great work that isn't "popular" in fandom circles. I wish more subbers would have this attitude (and there are a few who do and I commend them) :).
IanC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Im looking forward to getting Dead Leaves on dvd soon (uk release, week before my birthday Razz, which is 2 weeks or so time)

It just looks fun, and thats what i like Smile
Jadress

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:47 pm Reply with quote
TheTsunami wrote:
Jadress wrote:

As far as school mascots.. and then in high school, that's right, we were Maple Leaves. Yes, I was a frikkin' leaf. And no, I'm not Canadian either!

Hah, I take it you would be a fellow Seaholm grad? Nothing like a freaking leaf to inspire school pride eh? Class of '98 here by the way.

Wow, small world. I'm class of 2002. You know the founder of ANN was a 98 Seaholm grad too, right? I wish WE had a dead rat as a mascot.. Anime hyper At least a pestilent mouse, I saw a few of those in the school.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4