• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Drill Bits and Dead Leaves

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:

Wow, small world. I'm class of 2002. You know the founder of ANN was a 98 Seaholm grad too, right? I wish WE had a dead rat as a mascot.. Anime hyper At least a pestilent mouse, I saw a few of those in the school.

Well I'll be...doubt I would recognize who it was though, I entered Seaholm with the class of 99 and just graduated in 3 years, so I wasn't familiar with the people in my graduating class.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Sorry you feel that way, Gatsu. Personally, I found the character designs to be innovative and creative. Sure, sure, the character designs for hentai-sim based shounen romance shows are much prettier, but that's a bad way to judge the quality of anime.

I found Dead Leaves to be hysterical, hyperactive, and dammit, I had a damned good time. So in *my* opinion, not yours or Chris Beveridge's, it's Shelf Worthy.

By the way, thanks for the personal attack regarding the Blood review. Too bad I didn't write it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I didn't even consider the character designs "innovative". They were knock-offs (tributes?) of American underground comic book art from the 60's and 80's, and at least those were more creative. And the reason I didn't feel Dead Leaves was lol was they just shoot stuff every other frame. If I wanted to see stock footage, I'd buy something from Toei. As for the Blood review, by "you", I was referring to ANN as a collective whole.
jfrog

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:57 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I didn't even consider the character designs "innovative". They were knock-offs (tributes?) of American underground comic book art from the 60's and 80's, and at least those were more creative.

The hell? Dead Leaves had the same energy that you'd find in the best underground comics, but they look nothing alike.

, , and

do not look like

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Yea, that one had me scratching my head too. But it could be true, as I haven't seen too much from the 1960's other than Crumb. Could you provide exapmles to back up your claim?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I was thinking of the style of those monster car comics.
JustJon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:32 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Actually, I was thinking of the style of those monster car comics.
Like "Big Daddy" Ed Roth?

GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:40 pm Reply with quote
That's the one.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I love those! I have a sweet T-shirt with one of the pictures on it. I guess I could see where the comparison comes from, but I still think the dead leaves designs are somewhat original.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:11 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
GATSU wrote:
I didn't even consider the character designs "innovative". They were knock-offs (tributes?) of American underground comic book art from the 60's and 80's, and at least those were more creative.

The hell? Dead Leaves had the same energy that you'd find in the best underground comics, but they look nothing alike.

, , and

do not look like

ever read Tank Girl? it's a 90s comic, but the resemblance is uncanny.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:45 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I didn't even consider the character designs "innovative". They were knock-offs (tributes?) of American underground comic book art from the 60's and 80's, and at least those were more creative. And the reason I didn't feel Dead Leaves was lol was they just shoot stuff every other frame. If I wanted to see stock footage, I'd buy something from Toei. As for the Blood review, by "you", I was referring to ANN as a collective whole.

Gatsu, you think that virtually *everything* post 1980 is a knock-off of something else. Name something in this day in age that you feel *isn't* a knock-off.

If Dead Leaves had pretty character art designs like Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien or something, you'd say that was a knock-off of something else. If it had character designs like, I dunno, Paranoia Agent, you'd say it was a knock-off of Satoshi Kon stuff. What on earth does something need to be "creative" in your mind?
Nani?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:33 am Reply with quote
Gee, I guess everyone does not have the same taste and don't consider the same stuff "innovative". How come I'm not surprised.

On the other topic of the discussion, I wish I could have a dead rat as a mascot. Very Happy We just had a Lion. Had I cared enough, I would have felt jealous of the schools down the road named after an Indian tribe or the one nicknamed "Rebels".
They at least got notice over the names and the latter one has some tragic irony to it nowadays and at the time I was around, a principle known as a control freak.

All the Best,

Nani?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:09 am Reply with quote
Sakechan:
Quote:
Gatsu, you think that virtually *everything* post 1980 is a knock-off of something else. Name something in this day in age that you feel *isn't* a knock-off.

Hey, it's not my fault the anime industry's going the way of Hollywood. Japanese production studios finally get decent budgets on a regular basis, and they start mimmicking us, instead of doing anything original. But to answer your question, Tamala, the Takahata movies I saw on Hollywood, Millennium Actress and even Tokyo Godfathers, the latter of which retains enough Japanese elements not to be considered a carbon copy of the John Wayne film. (The problem with today's anime is it only "looks" Japanese on the surface, but acts like whatever's big over here.) Oh, and Koji Morimoto's Beyond in Animatrix, as well as Watanabe's Kid's Story. (I'm not even fond of Peter Chung's art, but I at least respect his desire not to pidgeon-hole his characters like the rest of the industry.) Hell, for a while, I used to be annoyed by his second sequence in Memories, but then I started appreciating it for intentionally being different, and not elitist like whatever Anno pulls out of his arse.

Quote:
If Dead Leaves had pretty character art designs like Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien or something, you'd say that was a knock-off of something else. If it had character designs like, I dunno, Paranoia Agent, you'd say it was a knock-off of Satoshi Kon stuff.What on earth does something need to be "creative" in your mind?

Media that actually has the personality of the artist would be considered creative. Media that just emphasizes whatever the artist thinks will appeal to a general or even limited audience is either uninspired or pretentious. And as I said, if Dead Leaves
did something with the art style, rather than just make it predictable, then I might appreciate it more.
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:21 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Hey, it's not my fault the anime industry's going the way of Hollywood. Japanese production studios finally get decent budgets on a regular basis, and they start mimmicking us, instead of doing anything original. But to answer your question, Tamala, the Takahata movies I saw on Hollywood, Millennium Actress and even Tokyo Godfathers, the latter of which retains enough Japanese elements not to be considered a carbon copy of the John Wayne film. (The problem with today's anime is it only "looks" Japanese on the surface, but acts like whatever's big over here.)

But...that's the way the culture in modern Japan is, and the way that anime has always been. I agree that there's not very much creativity in anime nowadays, but I think you're taking it too far. And besides, couldn't you make the argument that Millennium Actress takes some of its ideas from Citizen Kane?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:45 am Reply with quote
But what you have to keep in mind is that the business of anime production is just like the business of Hollywood. They can't hold a fanbase if they can't adapt to change and current public tastes.

There are a few exceptions of course, but they are both quite similar if you think about it. The anime production houses in japan are almost the equivlent of the Hollywood houses here in USA.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4