• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Drill Bits and Dead Leaves

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Rion:
Quote:
But what you have to keep in mind is that the business of anime production is just like the business of Hollywood. They can't hold a fanbase if they can't adapt to change and current public tastes.

I know some changes have to be made, when it comes to adaptation, but if you're just trying to expand your audience
to include horndogs and teeny-boppers, then what's left which made the original concept appealing?

Quote:
There are a few exceptions of course, but they are both quite similar if you think about it. The anime production houses in japan are almost the equivlent of the Hollywood houses here in USA.

You mean both companies hire talentless airheads for good parts, because they're popular with the youth?
Rion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't talking about the content, i was strictly talking about the buisness side of them.

As for the origonal concept ideas, i agree.
Thats what i ment by that there are exceptions.
Its just in the wrong paragraph Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I now petition ANN to create a semi-regular column entitled "12 Angry Anime Fans." Or something like a "Point/Counterpoint" format with random Anime Fans.

This is just too good of an opportunity not to waste. I wouldn't mind reading the tirads of my fellow Anime and manga fans.
Rion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
I now petition ANN to create a semi-regular column entitled "12 Angry Anime Fans." Or something like a "Point/Counterpoint" format with random Anime Fans.

This is just too good of an opportunity not to waste. I wouldn't mind reading the tirads of my fellow Anime and manga fans.

Shocked ??
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Neilworms

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...Memories, but then I started appreciating it for intentionally being different, and not elitist like whatever Anno pulls out of his arse.

Have you seen Ritual yet? Its a film where Anno finally uses his whole talent, and its simply amazing :) check it out if you haven't. If it wasn't for Cutey Honey I'd say with that film he finally gave up on his otaku past and focused on actually making something that was art as opposed to a reflection of his adoration or frustration with fandom :P

Anyways, there is still innovation in the anime industry, the problem is that its very hard to find. Take for instance Mindgame a film that is unlike anything else I've ever seen.

And yet reciently on the flip side we are getting some of the most pathetic otaku oriented fanservice shows I've ever seen :(

The industry is very polarized right now with very little that's between these two extremes.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:29 am Reply with quote
Rion wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Shocked ??

What don't you get? I think that sounds good, I'm pissed off alot, so I volunteer to be one of the 12. Or I could be the Henry Fonda character as well.
Rion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I just don't understand what he meant..... Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4