• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki DVDs in February?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scatteredshadows

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Figures.

I've only been waiting 15 years to possess a pristine copy of Nausicaa, translated into a language I can fully understand.

What's another 6 months? -sigh-

The least Disney could do is make up an excuse, you know, to show us they care.

Some other posters referenced lackluster subtitle translations for Laputa. In what way was it not up to par? Is it too literal, too Americanized, too broad, or what? I haven't seen their release of Laputa yet, but I thought I'd pick it up soon.
jfrog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:06 pm Reply with quote
The line "This is an asian calculator" in Laputa (when they first board the pirate ship) was orignally "20,000 feet and ride the jet stream." Other than that, I have no problem with the Laputa subtitles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:48 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
The line "This is an asian calculator" in Laputa (when they first board the pirate ship) was orignally "20,000 feet and ride the jet stream."

Er, no. It really *was* something like "This is an Asian calculator" in the original Japanese.
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:27 am Reply with quote
Really? Oh. Well, either I misinterpreted something, or someone is spreading misinformation on the Nausicaa list. So blame them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:38 am Reply with quote
You misinterpreted something Smile

The fanscript on nausicaa.net used to be incorrect. I don't know where that "20,000..." line originally came from, but the dub on the new Disney release possibly omits the line totally.

The sub (and dub - which I think is the old Streamline dub) on the JP DVD is correct by retaining the refence to the Asian calclulator (I just checked this on my copy of the DVD). This was confirmed by Dr. Ryoko Toyama on the Miyazaki Mailing List in July, and the nausicaa.net script corrected about 3 weeks ago.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:32 am Reply with quote
Howdy!

I found some possible art covers for the upcoming movies. They are in black and white and are not considered to be the final product.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/upcomingart10.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2