• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oda Nobuna no Yabō Historical Comedy's 2nd Promo Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
Not a big historical anime fan tbh but this series sparked some interest in me Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
Because this hasn't been done before. Rolling Eyes
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
It's getting to be worrying that when I see a reference to Oda Nobunaga, I expect that it will involve him being a woman. Is there any other country whose historical figures so often have their genders bent? Why is it always the same people too? Why not the Sino-Japanese War? Maybe the Japanese could begin coming to terms with the Rape of Nanking more readily is Yasuhiko Asaka were bouncy

After they're done with The Legend of Korra, Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko should say, "screw it," to shows about channeling elements through martial arts and instead make a show about a sexually confused middle school student who doesn't understand the value of history being sent back in time to a gender-reverse 1776. I'll bet that they'll give Thomasina Jefferson a great rack (but Joanna Adams would probably have a cuter butt).

Hell, they could just ditch the high concept stuff and make a reverse-harem show about Benjamina Franklin.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sirdano1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
Was interested up until the armoured swordswoman's tits started bouncing in her armour...

METAL DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
It's getting to be worrying that when a see a reference to Oda Nobunaga, I expect that it will involve him being a woman. Is there any other country whose historical figures so often have their genders bent?
China. Thanks Romance of the Three Kingdoms!
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
I don't know about the show itself, but the BGM used in the first promo was awesome.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
It's getting to be worrying that when a see a reference to Oda Nobunaga, I expect that it will involve him being a woman. Is there any other country whose historical figures so often have their genders bent?

But Japan is also where you can say historically, with regards to gender bending, that art imitates life to a certain degree:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_minorities_in_Japan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_Japan
Quote:

Young kabuki actors often worked as prostitutes off-stage, and were celebrated in much the same way as modern media stars are today, being much sought after by wealthy patrons, who would vie with each other to purchase their favors.[16]

Onnagata (female-role) and wakashū-gata (adolescent boy-role) actors in particular were the subject of much appreciation by both male and female patrons,[17]

Nanshoku was not considered incompatible with heterosexuality; books of erotic prints dedicated to nanshoku often presented erotic images of both young women (concubines, mekake, or prostitutes, jōrō) as well as attractive adolescent boys (wakashū) and cross-dressing youths (onnagata). Indeed, several works suggest that the most "envious" situation would be to have both many jōrō and many wakashū.[22]

Likewise, women were considered to be particularly attracted to both wakashū and onnagata, and it was assumed that these young men would reciprocate that interest.[22]

Not limited to women, it was common for Samurai to have take up young androgynous guys or cross-dressers (Onnagata) as their lovers as well. Many of these were also their pupils who in turn became Samurai themselves. This practice goes back thousands of years and is well protrayed in art.

DmonHiro wrote:
I don't know about the show itself, but the BGM used in the first promo was awesome.

That you are right! Not what I was expecting.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:32 am Reply with quote
Well, even though it is ridiculous, at least it has some good technical merits.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
What is it with Japanese dudes and getting transported to historical times where everyone is a cute girl?

Someone needs to pull a Madoka and deconstruct this plot concept.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:
Was interested up until the armoured swordswoman's tits started bouncing in her armour...

METAL DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

I want boobs to be lopped off when these females take damage, damnit!

configspace wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

But Japan is also where you can say historically, with regards to gender bending, that art imitates life to a certain degree:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_minorities_in_Japan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_Japan
Quote:

Young kabuki actors often worked as prostitutes off-stage, and were celebrated in much the same way as modern media stars are today, being much sought after by wealthy patrons, who would vie with each other to purchase their favors.[16]

Onnagata (female-role) and wakashū-gata (adolescent boy-role) actors in particular were the subject of much appreciation by both male and female patrons,[17]

Nanshoku was not considered incompatible with heterosexuality; books of erotic prints dedicated to nanshoku often presented erotic images of both young women (concubines, mekake, or prostitutes, jōrō) as well as attractive adolescent boys (wakashū) and cross-dressing youths (onnagata). Indeed, several works suggest that the most "envious" situation would be to have both many jōrō and many wakashū.[22]

Likewise, women were considered to be particularly attracted to both wakashū and onnagata, and it was assumed that these young men would reciprocate that interest.[22]

Not limited to women, it was common for Samurai to have take up young androgynous guys or cross-dressers (Onnagata) as their lovers as well. Many of these were also their pupils who in turn became Samurai themselves. This practice goes back thousands of years and is well protrayed in art.

That article should be taken with a grain of salt since it has been a battleground of sorts with a strong case of pedophile moral panic on the part of wikipedia administration.

The fact of the matter was, it was almost a given that the squire for a samurai was a stand-in sexual partner when away from home. It wasn't really seen as love and when the boy became of age, the relationship would not ever continue beyond that point. There was a pretty good seinen manga out for a few years which delved into the topic of one of the tokogawa shoguns taking on a male lover (for real) with a fairly realistic blowback that resulted (whether it was historical truth I am not sure).

Last edited by dragon695 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
Because this hasn't been done before. Rolling Eyes

Seriously…

Isn't there but so many ways you can do a gendarswap rendition of the Warring Period before it becomes wholly unoriginal, no matter how you spin it? At least there are three things you can say here: one, Madhouse is involved, two, it looks really pretty, and three, this might be the closet we'll will ever get to a Madhouse x GONZO co-production (Gokumi being founded by former members post-downsize). That both studios are putting their names out there on this seems to signal that they are making a big deal of this, so hopefully it will turn out to be good, and not just another round of cheesecake. spoiler[(Jiggling armor? Have we come down to this?)]
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
It wasn't really seen as love and when the boy became of age, the relationship would not ever continue beyond that point.

Oh yeah I didn't mean to imply that at all. All of the sexual relationships I mentioned were very separate from familial and other relationships. The sex whether with the pupil for samurai or lords; or onnagata for lady patrons were just a side job. They would still continue as assistant or work in theatre though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1