• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Post Natsume Yūjin-Chō Anime on Monday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsieczka

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote
Taiyz wrote:
Splitter wrote:
I know a few people who will probably shat themselves upon hearing this... and not in a good way.
A lot of me just died inside upon hearing this.

Goddammit, there goes my dream of seeing this localized properly, or even having a domestic DVD release.

R1 will still have releases in a slightly reduced level from what we saw the last few years. Crunchyroll, hulu and the rest are filling a spot that a minority of anime viewers care about. Most anime viewers will not watch it subtitled and will wait till it is released localized. A good portion of the people who will use the service were lost revenue for the companies not lost sales, they were not going to buy any ways. This is really a new revenue stream that is aiming for an undeserved market.

Conan - If that happens I'll just watch one of the thousands of movies that Netflix has that I have not seen in its place, life moves on.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Yes, God forbid Crunchyroll attempt to make some profit, as opposed to doing nothing at all and preserving your feelings. People have pointed out numerous times that your complaints here aren't doing anyone any good, other than irritating the hell out of the rest of us who have to read them. Either talk to someone in your own region and get them to jump on the licensing bandwagon, or continue to fume in peace.
Oh fine then, Hope you enjoy the future wherein any Ghibli film that disney pusses out on gets locked away on a brittish only stream on the internet. Then we'll see just how frivolous this arguement realy is.

If it's something I utterly care about seeing, I'll just hit up the ol' download repository; if not, I'll blissfully ignore it. Whatever I do, I won't spend hours of useless bitching on an Internet forum about my lack of ability to see it legally.

And to those who are concerned about streams translating into lost DVD sales, you're missing the whole point of this. The Crunchyroll model isn't intended to replace DVD-buyers; it's intended to bring some of the large market of those who have never purchased anything legally (as well as those who like to try before they buy) into the legal fold. If legal streaming/download sources can attract any sizable portion of those formerly reliant on fansubs, that can translate into a significant chunk of revenue that the creators weren't seeing previously. Those of us who enjoy buying DVDs will continue to do so whether or not any streams are available, and those who don't wish to buy most of what they watch have a legal source to see new shows.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:45 am Reply with quote
jsieczka wrote:

R1 will still have releases in a slightly reduced level from what we saw the last few years. Crunchyroll, hulu and the rest are filling a spot that a minority of anime viewers care about. Most anime viewers will not watch it subtitled and will wait till it is released localized. A good portion of the people who will use the service were lost revenue for the companies not lost sales, they were not going to buy any ways. This is really a new revenue stream that is aiming for an undeserved market.

Unlike hulu and the other streamers popping up left and right, isn't Crunchyroll the only one with an upcharge for a decent-quality stream? Whether they're filling a need or not, they're not doing it as well or to the same acceptability as other competitors. Crunchyroll has always pissed me off, but it makes me happy to know they are certainly not the only game in town. Will free legal anime streams take off? Most likely. Will Crunchyroll be the front-runner? They wish.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4