• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2012 Madoka Magica Film's 2 Parts Titled

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
Lt_Ripley wrote:
I am sure they will be not recaps, but two new movies with new animation telling the same story (maybe with some juicy changes).

That is what I am thinking. There has to be something different in the "recaps" in other to draw people to buy more Madoka Magica. Thankfully, the creators behind the series seem very creative, and I will be disappointed if they did not add anything new.

Based on the title of the first movie, I would think we might see spoiler[ the very, very first meeting of Madoka and Homura and how the latter evolved from a shy to overconfident person]. I do not have much to speculate on the second movie.

Like other people on the forum, I am way more interested in the third movie.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
You figure each episode is about 24 minutes. 3 minutes of that is OP/ED. So that's like 21 minutes. You could come close to fitting the entire series with no edits into two 2-hour films.

Are they just going to take old footage and make a new movie from that? If they're actually going to bother to reanimate everything, why tell the same tale? I'm sure a lot of fans will still show up, but you could have gone cheap and just use show footage and they'd still show up. Or with a new story being told, everyone would probably show up.
thaivuN

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
so it's basically death/re-birth all over again...oh boy

I wonder if everyone will turn into Morning Rescue juice in the movie lol.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
fireaxe wrote:
Never understood the point of making recaps/compilation movies since by nature they're doomed to be inferior to the original release. Why not a simple re-run of the tv series on select channels? I don't know, it's probably just me but it sounds like a waste of time and money more than anything else. Given the crazy money they got from the first BD releases, you'd think they could afford to go straight for the original movie.

You're not thinking like a businessperson. The two recap movies can hype the third 'proper' movie. And of course, why would SHAFT and Co. pass on free money? The franchise is massively popular at the moment, and as the saying goes you should make hay while the sun shines. The recap movies will probably be mostly unnecessary from the fans' point of view but they'll sell well and won't be that expensive to make (being compilations), so of course the producers would want them made.

Two movies selling tens of thousands of Blu-Rays each would bring in a huge amount of profit. Assuming that each movie sells twenty-five thousand copies at US$60 each (let's be a tad conservative with our figures here), then that's US$3m all up. Once the production committee pays off the manufacturing and distribution costs that leaves fifty-five percent for themselves. That means the committee stands to get US$1.65m. The movies won't cost much to make and market, therefore they could quite realistically make a cool million dollars profit. That's money they otherwise wouldn't have received; why would they pass up on that? Would you?

Two things I want to note. Firstly, as I said before those are conservative sales figures and prices; they'll probably get a bit more than that. Secondly, I have not included money made from sale of the actual movie tickets, as I have no idea how that would go. So yeah, it is annoying from our perspective as we just want the third movie to come as quickly as possible. But, Anime is unfortunately a business, and making money comes first.

(I also suspect the SHAFT are using the first two movies to buy themselves time to make the third. They are a notoriously bad company at meeting deadlines, so the two recap movies may well be intended to keep fans off their backs while they pour their efforts into getting the third movie completed. That's complete speculation though.)

You're essentially right, but you're missing some crucial stuff on the creative side. First of all, the creators of anime are not the ones out for money like the businesses behind them are. When doing an original anime, a lot of creators have the goal of making something popular, but good. If looking at popularity, getting the budget to make a movie for your franchise is a big goal to strive for, as it shows that the people who are giving you the money to work with it are confident that the movies will sell back what they cost, and more. Exceptions are series like "Higashi no Eden" ("Eden of the East") and "Blood-C", which conclude(d) in movies, but were expected to do well from the beginning, due to the confidence in the people making them or the franchises themselves.

Since Madoka started out as a medium-budget production, like Nanoha did, having these movies is a big deal. I mean, it made such a huge comeback in sales that there's no question they could be given a movie budget... but that fact in itself is something to be proud of. So making the movies, in a way, is a boost to the creators' pride.

As for my own personal opinion, I'm excited to see what they will do with the movies. It's obvious that they LOVE to do the unexpected with Madoka, so I'm sure we'll see something new.

ALSO, IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT BOTH RECAP MOVIES ARE SET FOR THE FALL!!!
Please update this news article to compensate for this new reveal!

Source: Official Site and this picture
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
You figure each episode is about 24 minutes. 3 minutes of that is OP/ED. So that's like 21 minutes. You could come close to fitting the entire series with no edits into two 2-hour films.

Are they just going to take old footage and make a new movie from that? If they're actually going to bother to reanimate everything, why tell the same tale? I'm sure a lot of fans will still show up, but you could have gone cheap and just use show footage and they'd still show up. Or with a new story being told, everyone would probably show up.

The typical approach to compilation films are to mostly use animation directly from the show, with touch-ups and possibly some script revisions. You basically have a few broad types of compilation/re-imaginaging:

1. Summary of the series: this is the one that started in the 70s, before syndication and home video so that people could view a show in movie format at their cinema. Almost every single super robot show did one, and so did Yamato. They might include changes like mentioned before, but mostly stick to what's been offered already. The Gurren Lagann are more or less the same as the TV series, with tons of embellishment, and Macross Plus has a different ending. Often these offerings are completely unnecessary as they don't tighten up the narrative but instead ruin the pacing into a quick mess. Char's Counterattack and Unlimited Blade Works would also more or less fall here, given their structure. They feel like rushed compilations of much larger stories (and I know UBW is in fact just that).

2. Re-imagining that acts more like a "another" view or another way to tell the tale, but closely resembles the original work, like the Macross Frontier films, Evangelion's Rebuild series, and even Macross DYRL in its basic premise. Basically a lot remains the same in writing, but the animation and events might play out differently. For Rebuild, it's headed from this type into the next type as the story moves further and further away from the TV series.

3. Taking the characters but placing them into another reality that's completely set apart from the original. Motivations, events, relationships, and conflicts are totally different, and art design will usually be original to the film as well as well. Eureka Seven, Escaflowne: A Girl in Gaea, and DYRL if you include the stylistic changes fall under here.

The first two Madoka films sound like they'd fall under the first category: basically the same with some upgrades, where hopefully the third gives us something massively unique.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

The typical approach to compilation films are to mostly use animation directly from the show, with touch-ups and possibly some script revisions. You basically have a few broad types of compilation/re-imaginaging:

1. Summary of the series: this is the one that started in the 70s, before syndication and home video so that people could view a show in movie format at their cinema. Almost every single super robot show did one, and so did Yamato. They might include changes like mentioned before, but mostly stick to what's been offered already. The Gurren Lagann are more or less the same as the TV series, with tons of embellishment, and Macross Plus has a different ending. Often these offerings are completely unnecessary as they don't tighten up the narrative but instead ruin the pacing into a quick mess. Char's Counterattack and Unlimited Blade Works would also more or less fall here, given their structure. They feel like rushed compilations of much larger stories (and I know UBW is in fact just that).

2. Re-imagining that acts more like a "another" view or another way to tell the tale, but closely resembles the original work, like the Macross Frontier films, Evangelion's Rebuild series, and even Macross DYRL in its basic premise. Basically a lot remains the same in writing, but the animation and events might play out differently. For Rebuild, it's headed from this type into the next type as the story moves further and further away from the TV series.

3. Taking the characters but placing them into another reality that's completely set apart from the original. Motivations, events, relationships, and conflicts are totally different, and art design will usually be original to the film as well as well. Eureka Seven, Escaflowne: A Girl in Gaea, and DYRL if you include the stylistic changes fall under here.

The first two Madoka films sound like they'd fall under the first category: basically the same with some upgrades, where hopefully the third gives us something massively unique.

Not to sound like a Gundam fanboy, but why do you seem to classify Char's Counterattack as a recap movie. It is a new story set in the Universal Century. The movie might have Char, Amuro and some of the same characters from the first three TV series, but Char's Counterattack is NOT a recap movie.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Not to sound like a Gundam fanboy, but why do you seem to classify Char's Counterattack as a recap movie. It is a new story set in the Universal Century. The movie might have Char, Amuro and some of the same characters from the first three TV series, but Char's Counterattack is NOT a recap movie.

I know it's not a recap movie, but it sure feels like one. The pacing is ridiculously quick and it's to the movie's detriment. Megazone 23 might have been a show condensed into some OVAs, but it has sufficient time to tell the story, not just two hours.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I know it's not a recap movie, but it sure feels like one. The pacing is ridiculously quick and it's to the movie's detriment. Megazone 23 might have been a show condensed into some OVAs, but it has sufficient time to tell the story, not just two hours.

I know what you mean; I just don't want the people not familiar with Char's Counterattack to think that it is a recap movie, which is not. I totally agree that the movie felt rushed. A 6-8 episodes OVA would probably have worked out better, but Sunrise wanted to milk out Gundam.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:21 am Reply with quote
Did I mention that both recap movies are coming out at around the same time--hence the double-ticket print set? This is important news. People should be updated about it. >.>;;;
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
If that's true, then they MUST be merely the original footage collaged into two movies with some tweaks. Unless, they made both movies before releasing them....which makes no sense....
scineram

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I also think those two will be just recaps. I will stick to the series I guess until proven wrong.

Too bad, I would have loved to see the Kyouko-Mami backstory.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2