• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami on [adult swim].

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:22 am Reply with quote
Zewerr wrote:
MannersSuck wrote:

looks like theres room for some new anime

Oh snap, either they didn't update that yet when I looked at it, or I missed it because I was only looking for yellow. Now I feel more excited.

They're not gonna update it, so says Jason Demarco.

https://twitter.com/#!/Clarknova1/status/203263017780129793

@clarknova1 wrote:
Quote:
@Clarknova1 so... are you guys going to make the schedule a surprise up until the night it airs?
Yes. Old school TV style. Everyone will have to tune in to find out, and be excited/disappointed in real time!

Also: https://twitter.com/#!/Clarknova1/status/203260035374120960

Jason Demarco wrote:
Toonami fans: to stem the tide of questions, I'll be tweeting some general info about the new block out on monday. NOT THE SCHEDULE though!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:13 am Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Because I've seen the way the programmers have utterly ruined Adult Swim Action, and I'm flabbergasted that all it takes to excite people is nothing but a stupid CG robot when none of the core problems have been fixed.

You're flabbergasted? Really? People like Toonami. I don't see why that's so difficult for you to wrap your mind around. Yes, there is a certain level of nostalgia at play here, but people actually like Toonami.

GASP, right?

If only we could all have such good taste as you.

Toonami is really just packaging for shows people did like. When people say they liked Toonami, they mean they liked Gundam Wing or Tenchi Muyo or Outlaw Star, and I get that.

But the new Toonami is just going to be the same shows Adult Swim has been showing with new packaging, and that I don't get. New bumps will not make the same 10 year old episode of Bebop seem new, or make people flock to Brotherhood when they didn't watch it when it premiered.
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:04 am Reply with quote
Casshern Sins and Deadman Wonderland are on the official schedule for Saturday night. Of course it;s possible AS is just trolling since I have a hard time believing Shiro;s design would have made it past Kim manning's radar, but it would be awesome if true. Casshern would also be interesting to see there even if it's philosophical nature might make it questionable how many would tune in for it. Of course GITS is philosophical so it's not like these shows have no audience here...
ForeverUryu

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:41 am Reply with quote
I would love to see Gurren Laggan added to the new Toonami line-up.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
Dang, I shouldn't've looked. Oh well, only myself to blame.

Divineking wrote:
Casshern Sins and Deadman Wonderland are on the official schedule for Saturday night. Of course it;s possible AS is just trolling since I have a hard time believing Shiro;s design would have made it past Kim manning's radar, but it would be awesome if true.

I really think that some people have an exaggerated notion of Kim Manning's standards. At the relative height of the block she wrote that she was a big an of Elfen Lied and the only reason she never seriously pursued it, or Gantz, for the block is that it would have impossible to get a reasonable form of it through the network's standards and practices department. She also claims not to hate fanservice. I'm not sure why some people are so aggressively certain of that.

I haven't seen Deadman Wonderland, but from what I gather, if it's going to be on the block, then perhaps standards and practices has eased up a little. I look forward to giving it a chance; opinion on it has made me skeptical, but curious.

Divineking wrote:
Casshern would also be interesting to see there even if it's philosophical nature might make it questionable how many would tune in for it. Of course GITS is philosophical so it's not like these shows have no audience here...

I'm a little disappointed that they seem to have chosen Casshern Sins because I've seen it already, but I'm not against giving it a second look, since I came away from my first pretty ambivalent. I can see why it might appeal to them. It's has a lot of attempts at introspection, but also a lot of Casshern just tearing robots apart. That seems pretty well in their wheelhouse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
If they can't get the classics, such as DBZ, Gundam Wing, or Outlaw Star, then what do you want to see that they haven't aired?

Fist of the North Star- This seems like the series that if it aired edited on Toonami, we still would have loved it since we were unaware of uncut versions at the time.

Desert Punk- It has comedic elements from an Adult Swim comedy (only actually funny), but action scenes that would make it Toonami material.

Tiger and Bunny- I think this one is too obvious to explain.
Rockleelives!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Put reasons, please. -TK]
Chang Wufei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
A return of G-Gundam, but with a respectably acted dub, uncensored and uncut. Funimation's DBZ 1996-1998 dub would be nice as well. Black Lagoon is also great and fun to watch and to hear badly placed Taiwanese accents!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
There was a good recent feature on this-

Gia's List: 10 Anime Suggestions for Toonami

Good comments and readers suggestions there.

I will say something here that I didn't say there. As Toonami wasn't always exclusively anime, especially in it most recent prior incarnation, it might actually be welcome (and more cost effective for them) to bring in one or two older or current action show to the block. Why not play a showing of Thundercats on Toonami? there are people might only bother watching it at night like that. Or maybe Samurai Jack or something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine (if it gets licensed): it's very episodic, which fits TV more IMO. I loved Durarara, but I missed one episode and never caught back up with the broadcast because of missing one episode. You wouldn't have that problem with this. If it is successful, they'd also have tons of other Lupin III content they could air after it.
Hellsing: From what I've read, most people really liked Deadman Wonderland, which is gory horror and Hellsing is one of the best and most popular gory horror anime.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
These are great regardless of what Jason Demarco said.http://www.reddit.com/r/Toonami/comments/ug4vu/toonami_ratings_may_26th_2012/
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Put reasons, please. -TK]
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
I would love to see Funimation offer Toonami Black Lagoon, Ergo Proxy &/or Shiki. Oh and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt!

As for ViZ, I fully expect Inuyasha: Final Act as well as Tiger & Bunny to air on the block eventually. Would also like to see Monster, but pretty sure VIZ has given up on that series. Sadly.

I also have heard they are interested in getting the broadcast rights to Gundam Wing & Outlaw Star back, if so they should hit up Bandai for Gundam 00 & Gurren Laggan as well, yeah both already aired on SyFy, but honestly, I don't think Ani-Mondays ever got nearly as many viewers as ASA/Toonami did, so would be a good way for more people to see set shows imo.

Aside from that if they ever do movies, Bleach: Fade To Black is an obvious Pick, as is Cowboy Bebop: The Movie. And Red Line & Summer Wars would be some nice pick ups as well.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
Agreed, I think Demarco just had his expectations way to high! No offense to the man,cause I love him for what he's done & his dedication to the block. But really if these numbers didn't satisfy him, I fear the Toonami Faithful may have an uphill battle for quite awhile longer, lol.
Rockleelives!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:08 am Reply with quote
lol well I plan to keep watching every week anyway. when is toonami being shown again?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 16