• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami on [adult swim].

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
The second I saw Funimation's post on Facebook I flipped the hell out seeing DBZ on Toonami again. Hearing Tom say new things is just amazing... My brain nearly exploded when I saw a classic Toonami bump. Really, if adult swim saturdays were Toonami themed from now on it would be amazing, and they could get some new anime on there (it's like all reruns now). I now pretty much just marathon whole series over a weekend, but if it is Toonami I may actually start watching again, even if it means I have to wait each week.

Really though, how amazing is this? Beats the hell out of them showing The Room again.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
How are they airing some of these? I thought they lost the rights to my anime darling Outlaw Star ages ago (OS was the anime that got me into anime and my first anime DVD set and one of my most rewatched, so it's quite a special series to me, and yet the fond memories of seeing it on TV are unique, so I can't wait to see it on TV again if only for a brief episode).

Bandai still has broadcast and streaming rights to the various titles it used to distribute from what I recall. I'm guessing Cartoon Network was able to regain the distribution rights to their old Toonami titles. Same with acquiring the right to the original DBZ dub with Funi.

Looks like the older Tenchi titles are still in limbo with Funi's acquisition of them while the Universal and Geneon Japanese merger is in progress. The third Tenchi OAV is being used right now instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
How are they airing some of these? I thought they lost the rights to my anime darling Outlaw Star ages ago (OS was the anime that got me into anime and my first anime DVD set and one of my most rewatched, so it's quite a special series to me, and yet the fond memories of seeing it on TV are unique, so I can't wait to see it on TV again if only for a brief episode).

I was wondering about how they got the rights too. I can only assume that they made some special arrangements with the relevant companies to air a single choice episode of each. I imagine that the license holders saw what was sure to be and has been a weapon of mass nostalgia as a good promotional opportunity. Hell, for all I know, Ken Iyadomi is selling the rights to Bandai stuff out of the back of a roadside frozen banana stand.

I'm not sure about the details, but from what Steve Blum said on his facebook page, the people at Cartoon Network and Adult Swim somehow really pulled some strings on this.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
Oh god, how saddening that I do not have cable where I am! D:

...Still, I got a hell of a kick out of seeing it on Youtube.

"Got the test results back. Definitely got April Fool's."

Amazing. xD
B.K.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
I wish they would have shown a GOOD episode of Tenchi Muyo. OVA 3 is garbage.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
B.K. wrote:
I wish they would have shown a GOOD episode of Tenchi Muyo. OVA 3 is garbage.

Imagine that was an impossibility thanks to licensing rights acquired by Funi for the older titles still in limbo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kaydub

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:49 am Reply with quote
This. This right here is the best night of my life.

Missed the first few shows, but thank god I got the TV turned on before Outlaw Star came on. Now I'm flipping to CN-West to catch everything that I missed Very Happy
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:54 am Reply with quote
See this is a great little bit of fun.

Now, if they were to look at...oh...say...90's are all that and see the money success and money that's been doing for Nick and realise what they have in their hands....[/b]
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
it's like I'm 11 all over again Very Happy
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:25 am Reply with quote
Ah God, the nostalgia...
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:28 am Reply with quote
I forgot how solid the English dub of Outlaw Star was and a lot about that series generally. I miss Animaze.

So, who really played Melfina? The Encyclopedia entry credits the part to both Emily Brown and Ruby Marlowe (Bridget Hoffman).

Hypeathon wrote:
I'm not sure about the details, but from what Steve Blum said on his facebook page, the people at Cartoon Network and Adult Swim somehow really pulled some strings on this.

I could believe that this took some doing. Certainly more than their prior stunts. I genuinely would never have expected anybody left at Williams Street to be willing to do something like this. I don't imagine that it cost a king's ransom, but I'm pretty sure they had to care significantly more than a little to do it. And good on them for it.

They've chosen their episodes very well tonight. They've managed to muster a lot of iconic moments.

So next up is... Blue Submarine No. 6?!? Holy crap, if they dug any deeper they'd've run afoul of the Balrog. I remember watching that all in one gulp on a Friday after school before I had a beard.

And then... TRIGUN! Sweet. (Not 'technically' a Toonami show, but whatever)

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:18 am; edited 3 times in total
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
So glad to have Toonami back. Even if for just one day. Surprised Very Happy
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:32 am Reply with quote
Dude, Blue Submarine No. 6??

My god, I remember watching that in 2000... I know, because it was before 9/11. Before all this crazy shit in the world happened.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:38 am Reply with quote
Woot! CN has feedback up!
http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/feedback/index.html
>programs
>Toonami
>tell them to bring it back! We may never have a chance like this again!
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:55 am Reply with quote
Since they've been plugging DVD boxsets after every episode, there is probably a short term deal going on where they show an ep, hawk the DVDs, and after tonight, everything goes back to normal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16