• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami on [adult swim].

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Why not just air whatever kids show is available (WMAC Masters or Legends of the Hidden Temple or whatever) to fill the time?

Obligatory "blah blah blah cheaper to go in house than pay some third party for the broadcast rights."

WMAC Masters is actually a 4Kids property, but dunno if they even still own it as of late.

LotHT is a Nickelodeon property, so take that as you will.....

I think if they really wanted to go the kid cartoon route, they should go for the nostalgia factor instead of dusting off whatever recent crap they have the rights too. Get some 80's/90's Cartoon that will catch the eye of the 18-35 demographic. After all, wasn't the intent of bringing back Toonami was for the nostalgia factor?

Why not go for cartoons like:

* C.O.P.S.
* Swat Katz
* Biker Mice from Mars

....just to throw out a few ideas if they want to show "kiddie cartoons." Hell, they should literally have ridiculous access to the Hanna Barbera and WB cartoon vaults!! Choose a few old shows and just air them.

Of course, if they really want to mindf*** people, they could air Jem.

Then again, I wonder how Robotech would fare in Toonami.

Oh, lookie what I found: TOONAMI Rising Sun promo.

Really, Powerpuff Girls and Batman TAS "Anime?" The Fakk?

Last edited by Sunday Silence on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
It's not like CN is hurting for kids shows. Seriously, you might as well just air Adventure Time if you're going to keep down that slope. Adults won't watch, but hey they aren't watching now anyway.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:22 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
It's not like CN is hurting for kids shows. Seriously, you might as well just air Adventure Time if you're going to keep down that slope. Adults won't watch, but hey they aren't watching now anyway.

F*** Adventure Time.

I have to wonder, when did Cartoon Network in general start going downhill? It seems as CN got more bad, it partially took down adult swim and anime with it as well.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
I have to wonder, when did Cartoon Network in general start going downhill? It seems as CN got more bad, it partially took down adult swim and anime with it as well.

Probably around 2006-2007 when Stuart Snyder took charge of the network. Guy was responsible for trying to push a lot of live action and reality show programming to compete with Disney Channel and Nick's offerings.

As for last night, the two biggest extremes possible in a programming block. Really dark, heavy material, followed by unmistakable kids shows. And people...did not watch.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
As for last night, the two biggest extremes possible in a programming block. Really dark, heavy material, followed by unmistakable kids shows. And people...did not watch.

And one full hour of Bebop. Good think AM WWF was on. Watched that instead while trying to sleep.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I started renting out Samurai 7 from the library, so I'll only be continuing on Toonami for Casshern's dub, DVR'd. Once that's done, so am I unless they get some new or interesting material. I'm not interested in GitS, E7, or Cowboy Bebop for the nth time. Even great movies and shows can get stale if that's all that's ever played.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm not interested in GitS, E7, or Cowboy Bebop for the nth time. Even great movies and shows can get stale if that's all that's ever played.

The frightening thing is, I went to the AS boards, and the fanatical devotion some of the posters have is just........cult-like.

I'm sorry, but when those idiots dismiss anime yet praise CB as "the greatest thing ever" need their head examined.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
The whole "Toonami Faithful" thing strikes me as a cult of the worst order. Hostile to any critique, dismissive and insulting of any show or genre not picked up by their CGI leader, and all around just unpleasant. "Was hhh Bleach isn't trending because of the UFC! How can people watch that over the same Bebop episodes that have aired for the last twelve years?" It's sad.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Ratings are in for last week.http://toonamifaithful.com/content.php?195-Toonami-Ratings-October-13th-2012&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Sunday Silence wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm not interested in GitS, E7, or Cowboy Bebop for the nth time. Even great movies and shows can get stale if that's all that's ever played.

The frightening thing is, I went to the AS boards, and the fanatical devotion some of the posters have is just........cult-like.

I'm sorry, but when those idiots dismiss anime yet praise CB as "the greatest thing ever" need their head examined.

I don't understand you people why are all anime fans against each other these days?Your going too call people who like toonami cult like?Give me a break we are just fans of an Anime block on T.V that we grew up with and thats cult like?It seems the anime community is full of synical not-so-nice-people these days.And too all of you idiots saying nobody watches Anime on T.V your stupid that's the Japaneses Number 1 way of viewing anime so don't tell me Anime on T.V isn't popular.So too all the asshole anime fans and moderators all i have too say is screw you get a life it's just anime.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Hiro94 wrote:

So people watch Bleach then bail. Not surprised.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
Really don't know why Cartoon Network even bothers, since they seem to have a love/hate relationship to anime.

If they don't have any new anime programming after Cassharn Sins and Samurai Seven finishes, things will just go back to what they were, before they renamed Adult Swim to Toonami. It is only Toonami because of the CG in-betweeners, otherwise it is only Adult Swim reruns.

Guess we will see soon, how much of a commitment that have to the Toonami brand.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Mike Lazzo has gone on record saying that he airs anime and is willing to take a loss on it to differentiate the block from other animated comedy blocks on Fox and Comedy Central (which also explains their awful programming choices, since they're not in immediate cancellation danger, they can just air whatever stuff the head programmer likes...and the head programmer has some godawful taste). That being said, their patience for this block cannot be infinite, particularly as Toonami is losing to 4am reruns of Tim and Eric Awesome Show, a show that got cancelled two years ago.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
the newest Toonamifaithful podcast had Steve Blum on it.Its a pretty interesting interview.http://podcast.toonamifaithful.com/toonami-faithful-exclusive-3-the-voice-of-tom-steve-blum/
qjackson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I've already done an article on this ( Shameless plug here), but I wanted to get others opinion on this and seeing this is an anime site I wanted you suggestions.

[EDIT: Merged with our most current [as] thread. -TK]
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Sword Art Online seems like the strongest candidate to me, as there's very little about it that's specifically Japanese, it has a good amount of action, a story which audiences beyond anime fans could relate to, and Toonami has an established precedent for airing "stuck in a game" series. The one concern is that Aniplex has a hold on that one and they might not be too amenable to airing shows on TV anymore since they've discovered that they can gouge fans for big bucks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16