• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sasami: Magical Girls Club DVD Season One

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
Speaking of dub, where the heck is Sherry Lynn? She was great as Sasami in all the older Tenchi shows (including the recent OVA 3).

She may have given up voice acting, other than OAV 3, I haven't heard her voice in anything remotely recent aside from her role on Wolf's Rain , and as one of the tachikomas in the Ghost In The Shell TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
EricDent wrote:
Speaking of dub, where the heck is Sherry Lynn? She was great as Sasami in all the older Tenchi shows (including the recent OVA 3).

She may have given up voice acting, other than OAV 3, I haven't heard her voice in anything remotely recent aside from her role on Wolf's Rain , and as one of the tachikomas in the Ghost In The Shell TV series.

she's still around. she played Hinaichigo in Rozen Maiden. i dunno if she was credited under another name, but that's totally her voice.

she mostly did dubs for Geneon, but uh....
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:45 am Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
1: The dub says Sasami really odd, they say "Saucesami" in the earlier Tenchi shows, they got it right "Sasami".
Um, what? What do you mean, phonetically speaking, by the "right Sasami"? If anything, "Saucesami" (with "sa" using the "ah" sound as in father) is correct, and the older Tenchi dubs that said the name as SuhSAmi were wrong. That is, if we're defining "right" as "resembling the Japanese pronunciation."

And what exactly was the point of the lines about creepy fanservice-craving otaku, anyway? Do the target audience and any aspersions cast upon it have any bearing on the objective quality or the subjective entertainment value of the series?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:40 am Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
Surprised that this is not a review of the 2nd "season" since it did come out recently.

The only things wrong IMO with the show.

1: The dub says Sasami really odd, they say "Saucesami" in the earlier Tenchi shows, they got it right "Sasami".

2: Speaking of dub, where the heck is Sherry Lynn? She was great as Sasami in all the older Tenchi shows (including the recent OVA 3).

Other than that, it is a pretty fun show.

10 year old boy? I would say probably something like Pokemon or the like.

Really?Cause she sounded very different when comparing to the pioneer and the funi releases of the OVA.

Also it'll make sense that they won't bring her here since the original japaneese VA didn't returned too,and also don't understimate the 10 yr old quota.

Sure they would like pokemon just like me from since it came here,but it may bring those audiences to the series to. I got into anime because i watch the DIC versions of sailor moon at that age in the 90's so it might be possible those age groups would get involed too,alongs that it have even fanservice but NOT too much like
Kodomo no jikan, and alongs that they don't make it too child friendly as the Nevlana version of Card Captor Sakura and the 4kids version of Tokyo Mew Mew, it may be quite the dark horse this yr for the younger catagory.Don't you think???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:

I must digress completely. As much as I am a fan of all Tenchi spin-offs, the first half of this series was getting run-of-the-mill, and when the story picked up in the second half leading to an imaginative, climactic finale that was when my attention was hooked. And as silly as this sounds, I actually kind of cried when Sasami found out her friend Misao was Pixy Misa.

It's all different tastes--I'm more of a light comedy, slice-of-life fan
so the first season worked better for me. But in all of the Sasami shows, I think Misao was always the most interesting character. I like how although Sasami is her best friend her jealousy of Sasami's family life, ability to make friends and general happiness allows evil people to take advantage of her.
EricDent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
OK I guess I got it wrong then, cause I listened to the Sub versions of every Tenchi show/movie there is, and to me it sounded like they said Sahsami.

I also noticed that (again maybe it's just me) but they say Ryo-Ohki a tad off as well. Also I think that when they said Mihoshi they sounded like Miyoshi.

I appreciate that Funimation is trying for more acurate pronunciation, but IMO continuity is more important. So if in the past they say a word a certain way, they should keep it thus for any and all future versions of the show.

As far as the 10 year old boy thing goes, I guess I underestimated the sophistication of kids today. Back when I was 10 I think the only stuff I watched was stuff like Herculoids, Space Ghost, and of course Godzilla cartoons.

A bit off topic, but a spell check feature would be useful.
Bussani

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:37 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Sounds like a good (though maybe not great) series all around Smile I'd already seen the ad for it and added it to my to-watch list based on the encyclopedia entry, but a good review is always helpful.

I particularly like the 'no fanservice' aspect. That's the one flaw I found with Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (A's) so far; there are a little too many painted-on jackets, balloon-like breasts, and naked shots of little girls Rolling Eyes

Naked transformations are pretty common in magical girl shows, and aren't usually intended to be sexual, so I'm not sure they fall under fanservice. Keep in mind that nudity isn't as big a taboo in Japan as it is in the west. My Neighbour Totoro has the girls bathing with their father naked, but there isn't anything perverted or fanservicey about it.

If anything, the naked transformation scenes are supposed to symbolize purity. However, since Nanoha was aimed at a slightly more shounen audience...who knows?

Kimiko_0 wrote:
Speaking of Tenchi, do we have a guide to the franchise somewhere? There seem to be a lot of entries in the franchise itself, as well as spin-offs and such.

http://www.astronerdboy.com/tenchi/Section%201/FAQ-2.html

That might explain it, but it's a bit long winded. http://tmau.fateback.com/ is good too.

Basically there's the main continuity by Masaki Kajishima, which includes the original OAVs (3 seasons), a few novels and the GXP TV series. Everything else are pretty much alternate universe, stand alone stories. The Pretty Sammy OAVs aren't even connected to the Magical Project S series, which was the TV version of Pretty Sammy.
trescaballeros

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:56 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Despite the finely done review, I still think Bamboo's review was much better. This is way too much moe for a person who barely tolrates moe like me.

Either way, this show is far too creepy for me.

Forgive me for being slow, but what exactly makes this show creepy?

I'm no fan of this show, but personally, I find it decent and it doesn't really deserve this much bashing as it does right now.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:29 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle wrote:
Quote:
Profoundly derivative and occasionally banal in its subject matter. Otaku may want more fanservice.

i kind of disagree with this statement

Why? And or which part?

Since anime can very easily be derivative and banal, I assume you mean the fanservice part. In which case I am guessing you as an otaku say that you don't want more fanservice. Which is you opinion of course but it hardly makes her statement false in any way.

It would have helped a bit if you wrote a sentence or two explaining yourself. Confused

So this is much better than Rozen Maiden I see, maybe I will check it out sometime.

Sasami is not really a show that needs the fanservice. maybe it could of used more moe but fanservice for this series would be a little much
rekishi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
the underaged fanservice in nanoha really put me off (who is it servicing? i shudder to think)... it got to the point where it bugged me enough, that i gave the dvd's away after i watched them... the fact that it wasn't even really mahou shoujo near the end added insult to injury in my books... cos that's what i bought it for...

but it's all good... cos i found princess tutu to replace it... and that works fine with me...

as for sasami (bout time i got to the topic ay?)... haven't seen it (or tenchi for that matter) but it looks ok... i kinda like these cutesy childish series... since they allow a little escapism and indulgence of ones inner child so as to forget about the worries of being an adult... without the need for lots of screaming and an "i must get stronger" mantra...

that said... this looks a little too cutesy childish for me... but this review lands it in my maybe pile....
EricDent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
Also included in the Tenchi "Canon" is Dual Paralell Trouble Adventure. Due to the ending of GXP spoiler[where Seina found a robot that looked a lot like Zinv off of that show]

Also the main character in Dual shares the same name as Tenchi's great (x3) Grandfather. Who does show up in GXP...
Zippydsm
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
EricDent wrote:
Um, what? What do you mean, phonetically speaking, by the "right Sasami"? If anything, "Saucesami" (with "sa" using the "ah" sound as in father) is correct, and the older Tenchi dubs that said the name as SuhSAmi were wrong. That is, if we're defining "right" as "resembling the Japanese pronunciation."

And what exactly was the point of the lines about creepy fanservice-craving otaku, anyway? Do the target audience and any aspersions cast upon it have any bearing on the objective quality or the subjective entertainment value of the series?

The problem with that to a english audience it sounds contorted, thats one of my gripes with dubs is they try to hard to be literal with the Japaneses name sounds, instead of saying how it would sound out of a "normal" english speaker you have people taking the Japanese sounds/symbols and doing it in English in a way the sound becomes lightly distorted, I want to call it engrish for the ears because its that annoying/funny to me.

Naruto's name in the dub drives me crazy instead of "Naruto" short, simple and rolls off the tong they say nAr-Uto emphasizing the A and U and it just sounds stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Bussani

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
Also included in the Tenchi "Canon" is Dual Paralell Trouble Adventure. Due to the ending of GXP spoiler[where Seina found a robot that looked a lot like Zinv off of that show]

Also the main character in Dual shares the same name as Tenchi's great (x3) Grandfather. Who does show up in GXP...

Not to mention spoiler[the appearence of Koh Ou Yoku (Lighthawk Wings) in Dual, or something very close at least.]

I think Dual might take place in a slightly alternate dimension/plane/universe, but still within the overall universe of the OAV canon. The new spin-off Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari sounds like it will be the same.

rekishi wrote:
the underaged fanservice in nanoha really put me off (who is it servicing? i shudder to think)... it got to the point where it bugged me enough, that i gave the dvd's away after i watched them... the fact that it wasn't even really mahou shoujo near the end added insult to injury in my books... cos that's what i bought it for...

Like I said, it's only fanservice if they put it in for the fans to enjoy. Naked transformation scenes are so common in mahou shoujo that it's arguable if Nanoha's were put in as fanservice or tradition.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:49 am Reply with quote
Bussani wrote:

rekishi wrote:

Like I said, it's only fanservice if they put it in for the fans to enjoy. Naked transformation scenes are so common in mahou shoujo that it's arguable if Nanoha's were put in as fanservice or tradition.

I'd say a little bit of both.ALso i liked the fanservice in nanoha,cause the fanservice decent enough but not overborad like kodomo no jikan.Hopefuly next season of sasami would have that same amount of fanservice like nanoha & nanoha A's but not kodomo no jikan type of fanservice. It should have not too much but not to little to satisfy everyone.Don't you think???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kayu1111

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
You know what, screw the otaku. The world could stand a LOT more anime that don't throw in jiggling tits and panty shots just because they can. Not everyone who watches anime craves that sort of thing. And if anyone doesn't like it, watch something else. There are literally thousands of fanservice-riddled options for you out there and just a handful of the opposite.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3