• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Another episodes 7-12 streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote
It's over. Yay! The comedy of the last two episodes was a bit much, though. That they kept an important piece of information that we should have had at the beginning until the end is more than annoying.

Having seen the series, I have no desire to watch it again. It wasn't good enough to buy as an import and I'll pass on the US release, too...

Back to Hanasaku Iroha, PA Works. Let me spend additional money on that one. ^_^
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Shut up and take my money.

That's what I'll be saying when the DVDs/Blu-rays come out. Anyways, a great series that I truly enjoyed this season and most likely on my top 5 for this year.

The superior artwork and mind twists of the first half gave me the realistic way of what true horror masterpiece can be. It even has a little fanservice as stated in the review (dat beach episode) and who can forget that Nice Boat scene?

The music is also well performed and I can assure that any horror anime fan who watches this will remember it for the rest of their lives.

This series gave my Mondays a meaning and now that's over, I'm platinum mad and want to go Yuno on someone. (well not really) So, yes, I did give Another a well deserved 10/10 and praying that there will be "Another (no pun intended tbh) series that will be on par this Spring Season.

Mei Misaki: Hope you enjoyed the show.

Last edited by Stark700 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
takachsh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
Want It Now On Bluray Sentai, Now!!

This has to be the my favorite series to come out in the last few years, everything was done right and I will back up the writers decisons to keep that one peice of information secret, which made the final episode so grand on all accounts!

Looking forward to hearing the english dub to see if they can out scream/psycho the Japanese seiyuu in vocals.

Waiting for that pre-order button!
Volibear

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
one of the few horror/mystery series that does a half decent job of actually making an interesting, engaging mystery, too many series can't pull of a genuinely good mystery storyline

sadly though despite how good this series was i can only give it a 9/10, since i still figured out who the Another was prior to the revelation (around ep.8 i think) it lost some of mystery for me as it came towards the finale, although the finale was still good by all accounts
vinamara

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quote
Awesome review. P.A. Works can add another achievement to their belt with their animation and artistry.

Loved every second of this series. It is a little disappointing that all loose ends were not tied but regardless the series did its job of creeping/freaking me out.
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
Thank God it's over. Poor excecution, not being scary at any point, having very little idea who these people dying are spoiler[(seriously, only about three of the deaths were for actual characters, and two of those were in the final episode)] and that stupid spoiler[stupid magic eyeball cop-out] were among the things that ruined this series which I'll concede had some good ideas. It's just that nobody had any idea what to do with them. I did like the twist halfway spoiler[where the ethereal 'ghost' girl turns out to be an ordinary human being.] That was nice, but it was sadly cheapened by the later twist that she spoiler[has suspiciously convenient magical powers.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:59 am Reply with quote
Her spoiler['magic powers'] were hinted at near the start so it hardly came out of nowhere. That's the thing about the series: rewatch it and you'll be able to pick up on the truckload of foreshadowing. I spoiled myself around episode 4 or so and was able to notice the hints on the first watch.

May not have been scary (but let's face it, nothing is scary anymore) but the series is extremely well crafted, atmospheric, griping, and extremely enjoyable. A great show.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote
I wonder if they will ever explain in anime format why spoiler[Koichi killed Reiko-san 1.5 year ago before the story and how he lost his memory of his stay at Yomiyama at that time]. When they revealed that spoiler[I half expected Koichi suddenly go "OH YA I WAS A MURDEROUS PSYCHOPATH, LET'S KILL THIS GIRL HERE (Misaki)" when they were alone during the last few seconds of the show].[/spoiler]
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:16 am Reply with quote
Pretty good show. I thought it started off really strong but ended up as dumb fun like Mirai Nikki except better. I'll be buying the BD release.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
I wonder if they will ever explain in anime format why spoiler[Koichi killed Reiko-san 1.5 year ago before the story and how he lost his memory of his stay at Yomiyama at that time]. When they revealed that spoiler[I half expected Koichi suddenly go "OH YA I WAS A MURDEROUS PSYCHOPATH, LET'S KILL THIS GIRL HERE (Misaki)" when they were alone during the last few seconds of the show].[/spoiler]

Although I'll admit that they look similar, I am pretty sure that wasn't spoiler[Koichi] in the flashback.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:41 am Reply with quote
Well, at least the deaths in the final episode gave me a couple of good chuckles which is pretty much the best i can say about this series...
Nagatoka_Morito

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
Spot-on review.

I'm generally not a lover of horror stories, but I have to admit that once I gave Another a try, I couldn't stop watching. The mystery sucked me in while the extremely well executed impact of each death (particularly a certain one in episode 11) jarred me and had me on the lookout for flags and clues every step of the way.

That said, if there's one thing about the show that disappointed me, it's spoiler[most of the way that everything went all to hell so rapidly in the final episodes. Particularly the actions of the inn owners, who seemed to be present only to snap and provide an (even more) unreasonable killing force to step up the drama. Sure there was an explanation given for their actions, but it seemed more a throwaway line than anything substantial.]

Still, despite its faults, Another is a show that I greatly enjoyed. It was one of the best things to come out of the Winter 2012 season, and I look forward to owning it on DVD.

Key wrote:
Although I'll admit that they look similar, I am pretty sure that wasn't spoiler[Koichi] in the flashback.
It wasn't. They pretty much all but tell you that it was spoiler[Akazawa's elder brother].
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
I fairly or really enjoyed this series overall. For some yes it will have some flaws in the writing but just keep in mind these type of shows are set up for you to play detective, keep that mind. Every-time you pick up on some-thing suspicions or out of place keep that in mind... over all 4/5 series for me and I will be buying the blu-ray later on this year. I just hope the ova that explains how it started is included.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Nagatoka_Morito wrote:
Key wrote:
It wasn't. They pretty much all but tell you that it was spoiler[Akazawa's elder brother].

Oh, really? That, if true, certainly puts a whole new spin on some things.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
jojothepunisher wrote:

Well, assuming that he is not spoiler[Kouichi], it still doesn't explain the fact that spoiler[Kouichi doesn't remember his stay at Yomiyama 1.5 year ago.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3