• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek to Release Love Com/Lovely Complex Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
This is a case where I'd love to know the behind-the-scenes skinny. For example, why has it taken so long for a company to land this one? Was it a case of no company until Discotek thought they'd be able to make any money off it? Were there earlier negotiations that just didn't go anywhere for whatever reason (license fee to high, etc)? This is the kind of stuff I'd love to know ... and never will. Sad
TC-man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
Great news! And please, license Aishiteru ze Baby too!

Anyway, isn't bringing out DVDs kinda risky nowadays (costly printing on disc, transport/shipping etc.)? Wouldn't it better to sell anime via digital distribution, something like what Apple does with iTune for selling for music and movies, or what STEAM does for PC games etc., but then for anime, so you can sync your anime with your iPod, iPhone, Android smartphone/tablets and so on without ripping and re-encoding the DVDs yourself?
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Before the inevitable bitching about dubbing, people should take note that a lot of the humor comes from the characters being Osakan and more or less an impromptu Manzai Act. You could try to dub that over, but the false equivalence of using southern accents just doesn't work, and not giving it some kind quirk would also not capture the vocal humor. So it's a catch 22 regardless of how you approach it.

Go say that to the people who dubbed Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. Southern accents would suffice just fine.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:
(I just hope Discotek isn't forced to muck up the translation due to the Viz books -- "Kong" etc.)

Normally Discotek is pretty good with their translations so I don't think it'll be a problem.

Their "translations" are usually reused from previous DVD releases with any mistakes fixed.

Unless Love Com had a subbed TV airing recently (like Lupin The 3rd did), the subs will be an all new translation so if true then let's hope that Toei doesn't pull any nonsense like they did for the Fist Of The North Star movie where their sub translations on the original DVD were so bad that Discotek did a silent re-release with a new cover and with subs that ARE accurate to make up for it.
Veroniku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
Oh wow! This is one of my favorite series of all time! This is so awesome, as I was never able to own this, the Japanese DVDs are just way too rare/expensive!
Thallium

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
Ah, good stuff! I remember this being a really funny show, so i'll definitely be picking this one up when it is released.
CheechMonger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
Thank you Diskotek! This will be a day one purchase for me Very Happy
fireaxe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
This might end up being my first purchased from Discotek Media. I've never watched the show but I've heard nothing but good things about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
YAY I am so happy about this. I would love to preorder this. I saw the first four episodes subbed. and I thought the show was great. second discotech release for me. Smile
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Discotek has announced some interesting titles lately. I don't like romance, so Love Com isn't my thing, but I'll be keeping an eye on them. Currently, they're probably the most likely to license titles that I want but don't expect to ever come over.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
OMG, this made my day! I haven't managed to find time for the manga yet, but I may be the only person who owns a copy of the R1 release of the live-action movie, which is one of my all-time favorite movies (it just makes me so happy! It's so cute!). I will absolutely be buying this.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
TC-man wrote:
Great news! And please, license Aishiteru ze Baby too!

Anyway, isn't bringing out DVDs kinda risky nowadays (costly printing on disc, transport/shipping etc.)? Wouldn't it better to sell anime via digital distribution, something like what Apple does with iTune for selling for music and movies, or what STEAM does for PC games etc., but then for anime, so you can sync your anime with your iPod, iPhone, Android smartphone/tablets and so on without ripping and re-encoding the DVDs yourself?

Actually the physical replication and distribution aren't the expensive parts. Making a DVD may ultimately only cost a few cents per disk. It's acquiring or producing the content that makes up the bulk of the costs.

Digital distribution may ultimately save a small amount of money that physical distribution does, but the potential sales are much lower. Digital downloads only sell a fraction of what home video does, so while you may be cutting a small portion of the costs, you are also citing down on the potential market by a large percentage. Considering the potential sales you are loosing, it doesn't always make financial sense to go purely digital. That is generally saved for properties that wouldn't have been released on DVD or Bluray anyway.

There is a reason e-books and iTunes videos don't cost significantly less than they physical media counterparts.
minirop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:14 am Reply with quote
TC-man wrote:
blablabla

no, just screw digital distribution (especially iTunes) 'cause for the f*cking shitty DRM. Just a big pain in the arse if you want to burn them on a DVD. (and Apple taking quite a "big" part of the price, it's 30% for the apps, probably likewise for videos)
E-Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I never have seen this series, but I'll buy it along with the other upcoming TV anime shows that either were previously distributed or never have been distributed on video or DVD. Right now I'm interested for the TBA Lupin related titles they said they'll license next.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Yada-yada, something for the kiddies I take it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3