• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Infinite Stratos + Encore Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Actually, KentaMaeba, I thought you handled yourself with a lot of class and you should be commended. I could learn something from your approach.

I mean, I won't, but I should. Wink
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Um, thanks Blood-! But I'm sure I wasn't the first one to deal with dtm's behaviour. You're giving me way too much credit. Anime smile + sweatdrop
_Archer_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Did you watch the whole dub? From what I heard in the first episode, I'd have to say the dub was pretty bad and most of the accents were terrible. I've meet multiple French people who learned English as a second language in my life, and none of them would ever sound like what Charl sounded like. Cecelia's accent coming in and out doesn't help either. Did it get better then? Because otherwise I can't really see the dub and sub having the same score, since I would imagine the dub is worse.

And although the Japanese dubbing not having accents between the characters is a legitimate and understandable complaint, is that really something English speakers would notice?

I have to say though, I found this anime to be pretty enjoyable. It was just fun and relaxing to watch.
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
_Archer_ wrote:
And although the Japanese dubbing not having accents between the characters is a legitimate and understandable complaint, is that really something English speakers would notice?
It's pretty obvious even to English speaking people (who are accustomed to hearing Japanese dialog, even if they don't understand it), yes, which means they would notice it, yes.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I've never heard a uniquely French accent in spoken Japanese. What I've found is when native Japanese speakers hear bad sounding Japanese from a foreigner(non-Asian) the general assumption is that the foreigner's native language is English. A Russian couple I know hates being spoken to in English(even though they do speak it) when they visit Japan when they are trying to use Japanese..
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow, watched it streaming on TAN, thought it was ok, loved the char designs and the basic harem story. Never understood why it was so crazy popular, but thought it interesting enough to buy for the OVA, dub, and possible rewatch.

I buy what I buy, (which is a ton) and recommend a whole lot less, this one I can not recommend to many.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote
Why oh why did we get this instead of Sky Girls? Not saying SG was all that much better. Ok, yes it was. Possibly more offensive, but it had a much better plot. Sillier mecha, better plot. And tail.. things... that made no sense.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
KentaMaeba wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
I like how someone's hate for the series leads to this. A discussion for the review is not meant for a flame war about how much someone loved the show, and how much someone hated the show and wished it died in a fire.

Seriously, why must this keep happening? Didn't this stuff happen in other places with dtm42 being the starter?

It's mostly my fault actually. I was trying to mediate the discussion, but dtm refused to quit and I lost my cool. I really need work out better strategies.

You're definitely right about dtm, though - seems like his mere presence sparks flame wars.
To be honest, I didn't read the argument really. When I saw the number of posts upon waking up, I knew something was up.

All I had to do was just look at the last page to see something, and I guessed right, it was dtm42 and his usual stuff.

While he's entitled to his opinion, he shouldn't be going about it the way he did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
_Archer_ wrote:
Did you watch the whole dub? From what I heard in the first episode, I'd have to say the dub was pretty bad and most of the accents were terrible.

Yes, I watched every single second of it dubbed. And yes, the accents aren't good; that's why I called them speech affectations in the review.

Quote:
Because otherwise I can't really see the dub and sub having the same score, since I would imagine the dub is worse.

The dub isn't worse because A) the unaccented performances were generally pretty solid, and B) at least in the English dub you can clearly tell the characters apart and get at least some sense of their nationalities. IOW, the fact that the English dub wasn't graded lower is at least as much a condemnation of the Japanese dub, which seemed to me to make no effort whatsoever to suggest that any of those girls weren't native Japanese. That isn't a problem just limited to this series, though; most titles which use multinational casts have that same problem with their Japanese vocal work, possibly for the reason that ArsenicSteel mentioned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Archer_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

The dub isn't worse because A) the unaccented performances were generally pretty solid, and B) at least in the English dub you can clearly tell the characters apart and get at least some sense of their nationalities. IOW, the fact that the English dub wasn't graded lower is at least as much a condemnation of the Japanese dub, which seemed to me to make no effort whatsoever to suggest that any of those girls weren't native Japanese. That isn't a problem just limited to this series, though; most titles which use multinational casts have that same problem with their Japanese vocal work, possibly for the reason that ArsenicSteel mentioned.

Oh, alright then. Thanks!
aereus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I dunno if I would consider that a problem per se, Key. As I really doubt the accents were even a consideration to them. That kind of stuff generally doesn't matter to them -- they would rather the voice performance be solid, than attempt to poorly mimic some type of accent.

The only time that comes into play is if they're trying to point out how bad the "baka gaijins" Japanese is. Or when they want to single-out someone as being a yokel and give them a Kansai accent.

IMHO there was nothing wrong with the Japanese dubbing. They used a lot of well-known VAs, and the tones of their voices were sufficiently different that I had no trouble knowing who was speaking. Ichika's older sister has a very deep voice. Char has a rather high-pitched voice (Kana Hanazawa, go!), Laura is more of a tenor, etc.

If anything, dubbing is the one thing that IS did really well, even if the plot is terrible and the characters are straight tropes...
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I got this in today. I haven't watched it yet. Review is about what I would expect for this show.

I liked the series myself, but I've become a sucker for certain character types. Charlotte was definitely my favorite.

Something being meaningful hasn't been a requirement for it to be entertaining to me for awhile now, although I wouldn't every show to be as pointless as this one tends to be.

The should could have been much better if it had been a little more focused even with the ridiculous premise. But I enjoyed it nevertheless.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:

IMHO there was nothing wrong with the Japanese dubbing. They used a lot of well-known VAs, and the tones of their voices were sufficiently different that I had no trouble knowing who was speaking. Ichika's older sister has a very deep voice. Char has a rather high-pitched voice (Kana Hanazawa, go!), Laura is more of a tenor, etc.

If anything, dubbing is the one thing that IS did really well, even if the plot is terrible and the characters are straight tropes...

Key was simply referring to the fact that having everyone speaking in the same dialect and accent just isn't authentic for a show with a multinational cast. Sure they can still have good performances, but why would an English teenager have the same accent as one from Tokyo?

It's the same problem I had with the movie Valkyrie. They are suppose to be German soldiers, yet they speak English with American accents. It totally ruins the authenticity of the movie. I can understand not doig the movie in a foreign language, but they could have at least attempted German accents.

Personally, I always give props when R1 studios attempt accents, even though they don't have the time and budgeting to do proper voice coaching that major movies and TV do. They are at least attempting to add something to the show, and in the case of IS, it fits. The accents weren't great, but at least the performances were solid. Of course, other than Hellsing, which used actors with an English accent, I can't really think of anime series that didn't have issues when they attempted to use them.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Key was simply referring to the fact that having everyone speaking in the same dialect and accent just isn't authentic for a show with a multinational cast. Sure they can still have good performances, but why would an English teenager have the same accent as one from Tokyo?

Or why have a multinational cast at all if nobody's even gonna try?
(Though an adaptation's source kinda limits them...... Though written words can have accents too, right? Laughing )
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:12 am Reply with quote
Why does the girl in our current ad for this show look like she has cat ears when she's in her IS? She's damn cute, I'll admit. Too bad he design was wasted on....this.

You know, all this show has done is inspire me to write my own original fiction, centering around exoskeleton mecha like IS. Hell, if this talentless hack can do it, I sure can

Well, this show was good for one thing; getting me out of this writing slump.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9