• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Infinite Stratos + Encore Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
However, I have to wonder why the show constantly tries to he serious and fails. It should've just stuck to one genre--the whole military academy thing gave me way too high expectations for it.
I think it's something that would work better in book form, honestly. Being a LN adaptation, they'd have to leave it in for the book fans, but wouldn't want to bog down the show's narrative too much. Writing a TV show script and writing a (light) novel are two very different animals.

Last edited by Veers on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Look, all stories run off of logic and consistency. You hear that? The things that happen in a story have to be believable. The government's restriction is illogical, unprofessional, and completely unbelievable for a government to do.

Yes stories use logic and if you haven't noticed, fictional stories tend to use both real-world logic and internal logic in order to make both the fictional world and plot work.

Quote:
You hear that? That's the sound of my Willing Suspension of Disbelief flying out the window.

An incredibly stupid thing to do when attempting to enjoy fiction. But since you aren't actually trying to enjoy the series not suspending your disbelief allows you to make retarded arguments about what isn't logical.

Quote:
Authors are not kings. They can't write whatever they want and get away with it with "I'm the author". I know that from being an amateur writer myself.

So long as the author follows the technical guidelines of writing nothing stopping them from using illogical devices in their stories. You seem to be a lot of things whenever some one calls you out on your idiotic claims.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Science can't save this show. Not even Superman if he flew around the Earth and went back in time. Infinite Stratos is like what Satan leaves after he has Thai food for lunch and Taco Bell for dinner.

That's not Mars of Destruction.
I don't see why you have to complain about shows you seemingly hate. Don't like the show, don't post in the thread. Fairly simple concept to grasp.

Anyway;
Novels > Anime.

The anime cut out a lot of Ichika's personality and made him denser than a rock, even worse than a rock. They cut out his monologues from the novels which add to his personality but since they weren't in the anime, yeah.

The dub wasn't bad per say. I've heard worse (Looking at you, Getter Robo Armageddon!) but it's definitely not the best either. It's just mediocre. Still erked about Tiffany Grant voicing Laura though. (I can handle Asuka. I barely withstood Thoria. Why is it all my favorite characters end up being voiced by Grant in English? WHY?!)

And to be honest, either medium of IS sucks. I've got all the novels to date and the author seems to be jumping all over the place.

Quote:
Well,I haven't seen "Infinite Stratos" but I think the creators missed something here. I wished they put in a representative from the United States,like a Chinese or Vietnamese-American girl to sort of round out what was going on. That would have been interesting to see.

If I'm remembering right, there is someone from the USA later on, but do to the fact that the anime didn't cover that much to begin with (what was it? The first book or two?)
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

The anime cut out a lot of Ichika's personality and made him denser than a rock, even worse than a rock. They cut out his monologues from the novels which add to his personality but since they weren't in the anime, yeah.

Charlotte picks up on it in the anime in the shopping episode, but it's the only bit we sort of get that maybe Ichika isn't as dense as he is shown to be.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:

Charlotte picks up on it in the anime in the shopping episode, but it's the only bit we sort of get that maybe Ichika isn't as dense as he is shown to be.
I have not read the books but the entire anime gave me the impression pretty early on that Ichika might really not be that dense and he's either acting that way to troll the girls or because he has a better understanding of his situation than he lets on, which causes him to not want to take sides/pick a girl/etc. because he's worried about the possible fallout (including but not limited to burning bridges, getting kicked out of the school, or being killed...), or something. I have no idea if this is the case or not, just the impression I got from the general mood of the story and how Ichika acted sometimes.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
I have not read the books but the entire anime gave me the impression pretty early on that Ichika might really not be that dense and he's either acting that way to troll the girls or because he has a better understanding of his situation than he lets on, which causes him to not want to take sides/pick a girl/etc. because he's worried about the possible fallout (including but not limited to burning bridges, getting kicked out of the school, or being killed...), or something. I have no idea if this is the case or not, just the impression I got from the general mood of the story and how Ichika acted sometimes.

You imply that Ichika (re)acts as a believable human being instead of a genre archetype.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
You not knowing the story the novels cover beyond the end of the anime is not a plot hole of the anime.

Of course it is a plot hole of the Anime. The Anime should be a self-contained unit, I shouldn't have to go read the Light Novels just to find out what the hell is going on.

If the Anime doesn't explain why males are incapable of piloting them then that is a plot hole in the show. End of story.

This is one of the few times I can actually agree with you on something. However this also proves my point why I am no fan of adaptions when they cut corners like this, I am still mad at J.C. Staff's blunder adapt for dream eater merry but what can you do?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
You not knowing the story the novels cover beyond the end of the anime is not a plot hole of the anime.

Of course it is a plot hole of the Anime. The Anime should be a self-contained unit, I shouldn't have to go read the Light Novels just to find out what the hell is going on.

If the Anime doesn't explain why males are incapable of piloting them then that is a plot hole in the show. End of story.

I disagree, you're looking at it wrong. So you're saying that an anime should just ruin the story already developed by explaining everything, even though the actual explanation doesn't happen until later in the story? I know that we as American viewers don't have as easy access to the original light novels, but this is an adaption of the light novels... and thus should stay in line with the light novels story wise. These adaptions are often done in a way to get people to read the novels.

Messing up the story of the light novel and giving key plot points too early is something JC Staff does, and it totally ruins the adaption if they make sequels.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
You imply that Ichika (re)acts as a believable human being instead of a genre archetype.
I imply that Ichika acts so much like a genre archetype that at times I found myself wondering that if inside he was actually winking at us. Or at least if not him, then the author.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
jl07045 wrote:
I imply that Ichika acts so much like a genre archetype that at times I found myself wondering that if inside he was actually winking at us. Or at least if not him, then the author.

That's the problem with parody: there's a fine line between it and just plain playing the trope straight.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome, how old are you? I ask because if you are not yet an adult then I will sigh in exasperation but at least I can hold onto the hope that you will someday understand what a plot hole is and why what happens in the Light Novels has no bearing at all to the Anime. If however you are already an adult then I bid you adieu. And that's about the nicest possible way I can put it.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
RyanSaotome, how old are you? I ask because if you are not yet an adult then I will sigh in exasperation but at least I can hold onto the hope that you will someday understand what a plot hole is and why what happens in the Light Novels has no bearing at all to the Anime. If however you are already an adult then I bid you adieu. And that's about the nicest possible way I can put it.

I guess not knowing what happened to Lukes father in "A New Hope" is a plot hole in your mind. Since everything HAS to be explained right away.

One of the best ways to tell a story is to add suspense by keeping the reader in the dark about certain important plot points. Just asking the studio to make up something just to add to the anime does the franchise a disservice, and like I said, ruins potential sequels since then they might have to retcon the story or not even do sequels since they messed up the story enough in the first anime. Zero no Tsukaima is a great example of a story that ended up making no sense in the anime since JC Staff decided to take liberties with the story instead of adapting the light novel story correctly.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
aereus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
As we've touched on here: The writing in the series isn't great. It's filled with straight tropes, many elements are tossed in for harem hijinks with no explanation. Just accept that it's meant to be fast-food entertainment with no redeeming value.

It touches on my biggest problem with the Light Novel market in Japan: It's the B-Movie industry, or Minor Leagues of authors. There are a handful of intelligently written LNs like Kino's Journey, Spice and Wolf, Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, etc. But most of them are written by people who could never get a real novel published even if their life depended on it. They're unoriginal, overusing standard tropes with no twists. They often have fan-fiction quality self-insert or wish-fulfillment scenarios and lead characters, etc. Anyone could write this drivel, and yet it sells. (Which could be a sad critique of Japan not helping out their NEET population and just ignoring them instead)

And that's not to say that all of those things are implicitly bad. Having some fantastical situation that smacks of wish fulfillment and a couple tropes thrown in can be fine. But you have to put in some effort to subvert those tropes or combine some elements into something new if you really want to put your own stamp of uniqueness on something.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I guess not knowing what happened to Lukes father in "A New Hope" is a plot hole in your mind. Since everything HAS to be explained right away.

First of all you didn't answer my question, but whatever. If you're the same guy as on Crunchyroll then the PM I received tells me your age is twenty-six. Groan. Fine, I will not bid ou farewell but continue on.

Secondly it seems as if no-one ever told you that A New Hope got a sequel.

I should not have to go to the Light Novels or the Manga or play the video games to fill in a plot hole. Using Gundam SEED as an example, I should not have to read a side-Manga to find out how in the Anime series the protagonist Kira Yamato survived a point-black explosion and ended up nearly three hundred thousand kilometres away in a single episode. A televised sequel to a televised series is however fine. If Infinite Stratos got a second season and it was explained why all previous IS pilots were female, then it would stop being a plot hole anymore.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

First of all you didn't answer my question, but whatever. If you're the same guy as on Crunchyroll then the PM I received tells me your age is twenty-six. Groan. Fine, I will not bid ou farewell but continue on.

Secondly it seems as if no-one ever told you that A New Hope got a sequel.

I should not have to go to the Light Novels or the Manga or play the video games to fill in a plot hole. Using Gundam SEED as an example, I should not have to read a side-Manga to find out how in the Anime series the protagonist Kira Yamato survived a point-black explosion and ended up nearly three hundred thousand kilometres away in a single episode. A televised sequel to a televised series is however fine. If Infinite Stratos got a second season and it was explained why all previous IS pilots were female, then it would stop being a plot hole anymore.

Again pretty much this also people seem to forget that reading a book is not the same thing as seeing something animated so things can be found less offensive in a book/light novel. This is why I never recommended the umineko anime to anyone since you have to go back to the source material to get what the hell is going on with so man chunks missing. I know the whole thing show don't applies but I think mention one line of text would have been a decent thing to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9