• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Twelve Kingdoms DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:00 am Reply with quote
Ok, I know this is gonna sound stupid and I'll look like a stupid guy who just wants to take part of something it doesn't belongs to him (hey! But I don't! Anime hyper)...What's the origin of all of this discussion? I see lots of A at the end of the review, and an A is an A, wether if it's A- or A+, it's still a very good rating.

Btw, I completly agree with what SuperOnizuka and Nagisa said...
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:26 am Reply with quote
sailor_titan wrote:
Deal with what? The fact that you're rude and obnoxious? Okay. I can deal with that. Note to self: You are rude and obnoxious.

Oh, that was clever. Now read what Bamboo wrote. She wants you to deal with the fact that your "tastes" are so skewed that no reviewer has come along who shares them letter for letter. She's also amused that you're obsessing over a couple of letter grades instead of what's actually written in the review.

I can't figure out what you want. Higher grades for shows you like, and lower grades for the ones you don't? How about just reading the reviews? Surely you can find some clues in there that will help you figure out whether or not you will like a show.

Now, if you think the reviews don't give you the information you need, that's fair. Tell us what you think deserves more coverage. But everything I've read so far from you has been focused on the least informative parts of the reviews: the grades. There's a reason we actually write reviews instead of just tossing out letters.

So forget the grades and ask yourself: Are the current reviews helpful to you? Why or why not? "I have different tastes" is not a legitimate answer.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:41 am Reply with quote
sailor_titan wrote:

God forbid I should try to encourage a site to hire reviewers whose opinions I feel like I can rely on to some degree. I know. I'm such an awful person.

No, but you are mind-bogglingly arrogant and you contradict yourself in every other post.

What it sounds like to me is that you already know what you like and you aren't really relying on reviews to give you a clue of what you might like; rather, you go to various review sites to scrutinize the posted reviews and then complain when you disagree with them. If you already know what you like and how you feel about something and aren't reading reviews to either A) inform yourself or B) entertain yourself, then why are you reading them in the first place?

You come across as someone who had her mind made up before you even read the review and then you come in to complain when you disagree. Even more obnoxious - and egriegously incorrect - is how you bring down your judgement in terms of "good" and "bad". If you agree with the review, the review was "good". If you disagree, the review was "bad". What you aren't taking into account with these descriptions is that what makes a review good or bad is how the auhor backs up his points and how his writing flows and how solid the review is. It isn't all about you and your opinion. It sounds to me like you don't really even know what a review is supposed to be nor how to judge one, so in your own words, I'd rather you keep your uneducated, uninformed, frankly pretty insulting and worthless "judgements" on our reviews to yourself.

Thanks. Bye.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much agree with what Chris said, both about the ratings for the various DVDs released to date and about people looking at the whole series when they should be looking at individual volumes.

As Chris more or less stated, there are numerous truly great series out there which take a while to show their true quality. For instance, although I consider Evangelion to be the greatest anime series to date, its earlier volumes would get a distinctly lower rating from me than its later volumes because some of the episodes in the first half of the series were, admittedly, a bit weak. I could name at least half a dozen other series to which I would apply the same rating pattern.

A B+ rating is, I think, dead-on for the first volume.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2