• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto.com, Crunchyroll, Hulu Begin Shippūden Streams

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kireek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:26 am Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
At this point, early on in the evolution of bringing content from Japan to us as fast as possible, I can bear the excuses. However, I think that most people here have sense enough to know that if the anime industry keeps going along this track, they will come up with better methods of bringing content to all of us. When that time comes, I hope that you aren't carrying a bag of excuses as to why you don't support these legal channels.

BUT BUT BUT, PEOPLE WILL GET EYE CANCER !!!!!!!!!!!
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
pparker wrote:
If every fansub-watching fan obtained their anime via legal methods starting today, the effect on the industry would be dramatic. Just look at the recent Kadokawa-YouTube news.
Another thing... if you don't utilize the streaming methods now, then it will be looked upon as a failure by the Japanese and the sites hosting it. CR has improved quality in response to fans, and will continue improving if they make money. Other sites will do the same because of competition. But if no one uses it because the quality doesn't meet their standards now, then why should they keep doing it? Or why improve it, if even doing that doesn't convert people from fansubs?

There's no longer any excuse for anyone to avoid contributing in some monetary fashion for anime that is distributed legally to their location. Period.

I like the Kadokawa-Youtube model but like I had mentioned somewhat before, the CR model is different. .... <snip>

just to continue on the Kadokawa model a bit, it's also ironic that even if you completely exclude fansubs and just look at the MAD/AMVs alone, all of them rely on using illegal (but still ethical IMO) methods to obtain the footage.

It's like the recent promotion by Boom Boom Satellites (band for the Bounen no Xamdou OP) together with amv.org for a Xamdou music video using their OP single. While they can supply some sample clips on request, you are not restricted to them and are expected to obtain your own footage.. yeah, and just how "legally" ?

Anyways, I don't mean to derail the topic but I mention all this in light of "legal" vs "illegal" channels. I'm subscribing but that doesn't mean I'm converting from fansubs (or obtaining RAWs). I really don't see why anyone should have to decide between the two. On the other hand if they ever offered high quality soft-subbed, DRM free downloads, you can call me converted Very Happy
Just look at the music industry now, with most everyone offering DRM free mp3s (amazon, etc) and itunes DRM-free AAC.
sdhd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
It nice to see anime on Hulu and Joost.

Last edited by sdhd on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kireek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Earlier today I watched a FREE LEGAL fansub in standerd definition instead of HD.

I am now worried that I am going to come down with a serious medical condition after watching it in standerd version, and will never pay a dime again.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Checking out Naruto on crunchyroll now...

One thing I've noted, some people are complaining about the translations of various series. But I noticed that crunchyroll uses soft subs, and looks like it's being set up so that you'll have multiple choices (probably to allow for different languages in the future.)

I also noticed that there's a link regarding subtitles that says "create or upload your own."

I don't have enough technical knowledge to know how effective that system is right now, but assuming crunchyroll gets it working well... Doesn't this mean that fansub groups can still make subtitles for the episodes, subtitles that are only subtitles (episode not included), designed to be uploaded and viewed using crunchyroll's episodes? People who prefer a particular fan translation can still use the fansubs then, all the while supporting the show by using the legal streaming service.

Those who don't feel like bothering with that can just use the official subtitles available automatically.

Everyone wins.
Waryas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:54 am Reply with quote
The torrent for naruto came at the same time as Crunchyroll, coincidence? Rolling Eyes
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:19 am Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
YotaruVegeta wrote:
At this point, early on in the evolution of bringing content from Japan to us as fast as possible, I can bear the excuses. However, I think that most people here have sense enough to know that if the anime industry keeps going along this track, they will come up with better methods of bringing content to all of us. When that time comes, I hope that you aren't carrying a bag of excuses as to why you don't support these legal channels.

Mods is this ok? You've banned people for less and this isn't contributing anything to the conversation. All it is is trying to provoke a fight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
Waryas wrote:
The torrent for naruto came at the same time as Crunchyroll, coincidence? Rolling Eyes

That's because some intrepid hackers from 4chan have written an automated script to rip, decrypt, mux, and post torrents of everything that gets uploaded to crunchyroll automatically.

It's somewhat obviously impossible to stop people from doing things like this, but just to make things clear: Those aren't fansubs. Those are direct stream rips from crunchyroll which are in no way condoned by, well, anyone except people who refuse to ever pay for anime in any form.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Kireek wrote:
YotaruVegeta wrote:

Mods is this ok? You've banned people for less and this isn't contributing anything to the conversation. All it is is trying to provoke a fight.

He's been contributing before. It was a joke. Well..

I thought it was funny, but probably not the best post ever. And everyone else ignored the post, you're the only one who responded to it. =P

O.O Anyway, I think the "create your own" subtitles sound cool, though I wonder if we can use it to make a parody.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

O.O Anyway, I think the "create your own" subtitles sound cool, though I wonder if we can use it to make a parody.

Probably. It would also be convenient for those who don't speak English as a first language.

For example, a Spanish fansub group can now decide to stop releases the whole episodes, and instead just release the sub files for crunchyroll. Than a Spanish speaking Naruto fan can use those sub files and upload them for their videos. Viola! Spanish subbed Naruto, but using an official and supported video source.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9