• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto.com, Crunchyroll, Hulu Begin Shippūden Streams

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
killua9101 wrote:
But when will it air and/or stream english dubbed?

Most likely sometime between April 2009-June 2009.

Last edited by Kid Ryan on Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
EdoRocksMySocks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
killua9101 wrote:
But when will it be dubbed?

According to Yuri Lowenthal at a recent convention, he said they had already started working and dubbing Shippuuden. I think that was Anime Weekend Atlanta or some other convention around the same time as that. As for when it comes out in the states, I'm predicting somewhere around March since CN keeps showing other things than new episodes of Naruto on Saturday nights. :/

As for Naruto.com, I thought the quality was pretty good myself and the subs weren't too bad. I didn't expect them to translate the end suffixes and something I realized about the subs. They seem to be less of a translation and more of what the English dub is going to say. Try saying the subs along with them; it's easy to match the flaps if you try. Maybe it's just me. I was disappointed at first to find out that the episodes weren't dubbed because I'm very excited about it, but oh well.

And I must know who's going to voice Sai and how they're going to translate his pervert sense of humor. I was curious if they were going to leave it on CN too or move it to [adult swim] because of that. I get the feeling it will stay where it is unfortunately but oh well. Still can't wait for the dub since most anime dubs I love. <3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
EdoRocksMySocks wrote:
killua9101 wrote:
But when will it be dubbed?

1.) According to Yuri Lowenthal at a recent convention, he said they had already started working and dubbing Shippuuden. I think that was Anime Weekend Atlanta or some other convention around the same time as that. As for when it comes out in the states, I'm predicting somewhere around March since CN keeps showing other things than new episodes of Naruto on Saturday nights. :/

2.) And I must know who's going to voice Sai and how they're going to translate his pervert sense of humor. I was curious if they were going to leave it on CN too or move it to [adult swim] because of that. I get the feeling it will stay where it is unfortunately but oh well. Still can't wait for the dub since most anime dubs I love. <3

1.) No, more likely April 2009-July 2009, since episode 220 of Naruto (last episode of first series) will be airing in April 2009.

2.) Sai has a perverty sense of humor? I never knew o_O.

As for where Naruto Shippuden will air english dubbed, it will most likely stick to Cartoon Network's Saturday primetime hour slot.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I am so glad that the industry is learning that they have a good home on the internet. I would have to get caught up on Naruto, but I will be checking out Shippuden.

I know people hate on Crunchyroll, but it gets major props from me for going legit.

Hulu is not only my fave place for anime, but for all TV. I don't even watch cable TV anymore!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MagicallyDelicious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I didn't check out Naruto, but I checked out the first episode of Shugo Chara. I must say I'm personally impressed. The actual video quality was crystal. It skipped and froze a little, but I have problems with freezing on my computer in general so it might have been that. The subs were pretty accurate from what I can tell. Some of it was a little weird, the way they put some Japanese in brackets { } in the theme songs, but didn't show it all.

Personally I'm on board for this and I might even just watch random episodes to support this idea and help it expand. I'm debating on the membership, though.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
MagicallyDelicious wrote:
I didn't check out Naruto, but I checked out the first episode of Shugo Chara. I must say I'm personally impressed. The actual video quality was crystal. It skipped and froze a little, but I have problems with freezing on my computer in general so it might have been that. The subs were pretty accurate from what I can tell. Some of it was a little weird, the way they put some Japanese in brackets { } in the theme songs, but didn't show it all.

Personally I'm on board for this and I might even just watch random episodes to support this idea and help it expand. I'm debating on the membership, though.

Those things in { } are supposed to be comments that aren't displayed.
Currently crunchyroll's subtitle display software has a lot of bugs to work out and anything inside a { } shouldn't be displayed. Hopefully they'll be fixing it soon.
EdoRocksMySocks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
babynaruto1 wrote:
1.) No, more likely April 2009-July 2009, since episode 220 of Naruto (last episode of first series) will be airing in April 2009.

Since when is CN ever definite with their premiering of episodes though? I doubt April is going to be a sure thing since CN seems to have an Earthquake in their building everyday with the way they change things.

Well, not necessarily 'sense of humor' but bluntness, I guess. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Katawe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

"Kore wa akan" means "This is bad", yet they translated it as "I can't let this go on". Sure, it carries the same effect, but it bothers me.

"Akan" is a short form of "ikenai," right? So "kore wa akan" would literally mean "it can't go like this" or something to that effect. Just saying.

As for the Naruto translation, I like it so far despite the lack of honorifics. It's not the same style as the dub at all; reminds me more of the English-language manga. I think this is the start of a better relationship between licensing companies and fansub watchers.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:30 am Reply with quote
craziplaya21 wrote:
oh man, you guys sure are in for a surprise. didn't think people still fall for yhbts

I think you'll be surprised then. They will make good on their promise. It will also free up their resources to do other neglected shows, like their recent "Song of the Wind and Trees".
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
CR's 480p and 720p samples:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/hd_demo?src=pm
The 720p is an upscale of the Shippuuden OP but it still looks good.
Their online player currently has performance issues though (or their streams are encoded with some bad settings)

Last edited by configspace on Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:52 am Reply with quote
babynaruto1 wrote:
EdoRocksMySocks wrote:

2.) And I must know who's going to voice Sai and how they're going to translate his pervert sense of humor. I was curious if they were going to leave it on CN too or move it to [adult swim] because of that. I get the feeling it will stay where it is unfortunately but oh well. Still can't wait for the dub since most anime dubs I love. <3

I think he's referring to Sai poking fun at Naruto with spoiler[his small "chin-chin" remark]. I'm also curious to see how they'll translate that on CN.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:17 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
babynaruto1 wrote:
EdoRocksMySocks wrote:

I think he's referring to Sai poking fun at Naruto with spoiler[his small "chin-chin" remark]. I'm also curious to see how they'll translate that on CN.

That's more like a dead-pan lack of humor and a total lack of social skills than perverted humor since he isn't trying to be perverted or funny. I doubt CN would so much "translate" it as they would just change what he says. Call him short or a dumb blond or something else that would erk Naruto.

As for when they'll actually end Naruto on CN I would be amazed if they dragged things out until April while all of these online sites get the jump on them. I think it's just as likely to end in April as there is likely to be a six hour marathon in February to just bang them all out at once. I think the last word on the Shippuuden dub was that the first major arc was already in the can.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
When Crunchyroll removes ALL of the licensed shows and user content, then I'll be impressed. Though the fact that Crunchyroll is trying to clean up their act is commendable at the very least.

If the actual creator of Crunchyroll makes a public announcement of Crunchyroll only allowing legal content on the site, then maybe I will actually take them seriously.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
When Crunchyroll removes ALL of the licensed shows and user content, then I'll be impressed. Though the fact that Crunchyroll is trying to clean up their act is commendable at the very least.

If the actual creator of Crunchyroll makes a public announcement of Crunchyroll only allowing legal content on the site, then maybe I will actually take them seriously.

As of January first, they HAVE.

And they DID post a message: http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-426221/Happy-New-Year-2009.html

EVERYTHING IS GONE except for authorized, licensed content. That's what you wanted, right?

Also, they seemed to have fixed (some) of the issues with their softsub display, specifically the { } comments issues.
Brass2TheMax

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
I gave the service a try, I really did. Fansubs for me. *sigh*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9