• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:45 am Reply with quote
so this series more how fujiko meet lupin & etc give 1st ep on lupin now this week is jigen.

quite a story indeed give jigen past indeed past is like the ultimate killer is the past.

so way going indeed more origins type series wonder in later maybe the begins of fujiko?
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote
Is it necessarily to know previous series before watching this?
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:

I would say no. The two episodes that have been broadcast so far deal a lot with character introductions, and the series as a whole has sort of been billed as an origin story, at least as far as I can tell.
KLAC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
indeed give origin series how fujiko meet lupin, jigen, goemon, etc.

give this is like prequel series in fujiko point of view story with i assume maybe later expect the beginning/the start of fujiko?

besides this is her series story.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
Lupin is a bit like James Bond, or Zatoichi, or Jack Ryan. It may help to know a little something but they are all franchises whose single parts stand on their own.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:

Not at all. Most of Lupin is very episodic. Each movie, special, TV episode stands on it's own. The 1st and 2nd season are loosely linked together but that is about it.

The more you do watch though the more you'll understand a lot of the reasoning behind of what the characters do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sixtopia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I'll definitely give this a shot later. My only experience with Lupin III was a crossover with Detective Conan, and I really liked it. What kept me away was probably the age and condition of the franchise. It's a bit all over the place, like Gundam.

Some people say Lupin is a gentlemen thief like in Cagliostro. Others say he's a vile pervert like in the older versions of the manga. This new series shows events from Fujiko's point of view. Each Lupin story is like a legend that may or may not be true.

With Gundam, you have multiple "universes", each with their own time line. Some harken back to the original series while others go a completely different route.

With Lupin, there really is no "continuity". With the exception of a few episodes of the TV series, there's no need to watch things in order and even when things contradict each other it's ok. The Episode 0 special perfectly defines the franchise: You see what you think is the story of the gang meeting for the 1st time, and then at the end... everything is thrown in doubt!
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:

This is my first watch of a Lupin anime (I know, I know... I need to get with the program) but during the first episode I never felt as if I wasn't privvy to what was going on. No overly elaborate in-jokes, no references to previous installments... Just action from start to finish.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
The first two episodes are streaming on Funimation's site.

Love the second episode as much as the first. It had this very hardboiled quality to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The first two episodes are streaming on Funimation's site.

Love the second episode as much as the first. It had this very hardboiled quality to it.

Yes but you have to be a member to see them :/

My fault. I wasn't logged in. I assumed you had to be a paid member.

Last edited by jsc315 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
So sign up, then! It doesn't cost anything just to be a member.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I think I am in love. This is my first real taste of the Lupin franchise (I watched the Detective Conan crossover special but I don't really count that) and I absolutely loved it. The music, the artwork, the voice actors, everything! Someone mentioned that this series is a work of art and I am incline to agree.

And why are some people making a big deal about the nudity? It is just boobs. We all know/seen what boobs look like so what is the big deal? Lighten up, folks. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
I think I am in love. This is my first real taste of the Lupin franchise (I watched the Detective Conan crossover special but I don't really count that) and I absolutely loved it. The music, the artwork, the voice actors, everything! Someone mentioned that this series is a work of art and I am incline to agree.

And why are some people making a big deal about the nudity? It is just boobs. We all know/seen what boobs look like so what is the big deal? Lighten up, folks. Laughing

I was a little worried the new voices would not work out but they got it near identical. This series really captures the essence of what Lupin the 3rd is all about. I'm also glad Funi got this and with the original season coming soon from Discotek. This is all just amazing. I never would have thought Lupin would have made such a huge comeback.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first epsiode, and enjoyed it overall, typical awesome Lupin III style sillyness & awesomness (are those proper words? Meh oh well they are now.)

Anyway, yes I believe I shall defiantly be watching all the episodes of the series from Funimations streams, and hope & pray it does good enough to get a dub and physical release down the line.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:06 am Reply with quote
Though admittedly my prior experience with Lupin is minor at best (a few movies and a geomantic toss of episodes), this series has matured a typically zany atmosphere to something metonymic to noir detective stories--more introspective with a stoic touch, the "shit sucks, but take it with a grin" attitude--which I find particularly attractive. Bebop had a similar mise en scene (Ganymede Shuffle, My Funny Valentine, Honky Tonk Woman, etc.), but I think this show capitalizes on it[1], especially in the aesthetic itself--one cannot help but appreciate the merit of the art in and of itself. Like others have said--and I dig how Spastic Minnow put it--this series facilitates new audiences, but simultaneously provides just as much incentive for the most familiar of fans[2] (I surmise as much, at least).

[1] This isn't to detract from Bebop, but that the noir aspect was subtler; maybe something like comparing Ruby My Dear to 'Round Midnight in that this series is more solemn.

[2] Compare to the in progress Evangelion tetralogy which attempts the same multivalence with a rather poor effect (namely because it is just a retelling in which extensive re-hashing is inevitable).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7