• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious as to how heretical I am for upholding this one opinion about the Nadesico movie: I thought the Prince of Darkness movie was great and although many Nadesico fans dislike it, I greatly enjoyed the movie. I can understand people's frustrations with the lack of information on how certain characters changed or the events that took place before the movie but I still enjoyed the movie. I loved the darker tone and while I'm not all too happy with how certain characters changed, I enjoyed digging for information about why they changed (yea, the franchise didn't explain it to us so that's problematic in understanding the story).

This may just be on ANN but I really enjoyed the Horizon series. I understood a lot of the things and it was one of those shows that seemed to always have things happening so I didn't lose focus or interest. I loved the cast, they were what kept me interested aside from the general setting. It was a fun show for me and I'd wish more people would enjoy it but I can see why they may be frustrated with it.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
i too think that Horizon is a very good show. very unique and likeable cast a of characters and a very well written story
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Actually, EmbraceMe, I thoroughly enjoyed the Nadesico movie! I was actually lucky enough to be in Japan when it was released in theaters, so I was able to see it on the big screen!
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
You know I had to look up the word, misogyny and misogynstic, on the internet. Is this some kind of ANN speak used on the forums to insult people? Are you hoping to get it by the moderators? There are other more simpler words to get the same point across, but then again perhaps you all are using the word to its truest meaning...
...If you all are going to insult people in violation of forum policy, at least use words we don't have to look in the dictionary to get your point across.

It wasn't the word misogyny that got the mods and everyone else all spun up like a bunch of Tasmanian devils on steroids, it was another word, words or phrase that has been suitably deleted.

And i missed it so I don't know what is was, so don't ask.

How's this for an opinion? Most anime is mindless. And it Is. And that's not an opinion.

It's also why i like it (or some of it at least). I need the diversion from my work.

I wonder hat you would get by crossing this with the "what did i learn from anime" thread... Question

Last edited by guildmaster on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:

How's this for an opinion? Most anime is mindless. And it Is. And that's not an opinion.

'Mindless' material is subjective to the viewer, so yes, it is an opinion. Rolling Eyes
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I did not like the Nadesico movie. I'll give it another shot now, though, since it was included in the Nadesico remastered DVD set.

I still think Naruto is a very good series, I have an intense dislike for shows like Strike Witches and Vividred Operation to the point of wanting to jail the creators for what I consider to be sexualizing little girls. I also think Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha is awful in every way from characters to plot.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
guildmaster wrote:

'Mindless' material is subjective to the viewer, so yes, it is an opinion. Rolling Eyes

You could've just asked him what a mind is. Then we could get into Descartes and materialism and abstract objects and all kinds of fun stuff. But anyways, there were a few issues with that series of sentences--like that (s)he offers it as an opinion in an opinion thread prior to declaring it as something other than opinion.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
To be honest all I read from the OP where here are my opinions, you must agree with them. And while some of them are well informed and some I can understand some are clearly based on opinions that I just can't agree with. We are discussing a form of entertainment here we aren't being scientific so what you are essentially trying to do here is to convince people with different preferences, and therefore different opinions that your preference and your opinion is the one that matters.

It's true that some people simply get sucked into the bandwagon but these "bandwagons" exist for a reason, usually multiple good ones in fact. If you really can't take it because in one particular instance the crowd doesn't share your opinion then you are going o have a rough life. You like dubs, by all means like dubs. Who cares if most of the Anime fans disagree with you and some neo nazi's think your ruining the experience. It's gotta entertain YOU so it's your opinion that is important.

If you want my advice cultivate the strength to go against the flow of society to like what you like and be damned to the what the rest think. You definitely won't regret it. Cos your not gonna stop braindead fanboys or neo nazi otaku's from being what they are. That's about as likely as world peace.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
guildmaster wrote:

You must not have seen "My Cousin Vinny" where Atty Vincent Laguardia Gambino's wife, Mona Lisa Vito states "That's a fact!" when asked if her statement that tire marks were made by a 1965 Pontiac Tempest and not a 1965 Buick Skylark, was an opinion or a fact.

So, it's a fact! Wink

For every serious anime out there that are at least a dozen mindless ones.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:04 pm Reply with quote
...but the tire marks--and Mona Lisa's analysis of the situation--are all objectively verifiable while what a "mind" is, how one classifies its presence or absence in a creative work, etc. are not.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Hello Svidrigailov.
Because you have mentioned Descartes in an earlier post, might I ask whether you're familiar with the aesthetics of Hume and Kant, or of people thereafter?
If you are, what do you make of these things we call opinions? Perhaps, as seems most plausible, they are statements describing something about the speaker, such as her sentiments, or her approval of something. My concern is that if a theory of taste is described only in terms like this, which is what simple subjectivism amounts to, much of the force behind judgements of taste lose their bite, as it were. Hume and Kant shared this worry. I leave you to articulate your own views on this matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, though I've nibbled on some of Kant's ethics, I can't say I've read anything by Hume, and I'm not familiar with either's aesthetics. It sounds interesting, though. I haven't really thought about it, but I would probably put the emphasis on 'something' rather than 'about', and I'd also ask why you feel--if I understand what you mean by "My concern"--aesthetic value judgments should wield the same influence as...well, whatever you thought their "force" was similar or equivalent to before being hypothetically demoted to subjectivism. Anywho, if you want to legitimately discuss this, I recommend posting a topic on ilovephilosophy.com. I try to leave my beard there.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Both Kant in the Critique of Judgement and Hume in Treatise hold that aesthetic judgements do not talk about a property of the object (which beauty is not), so they're subjective (sure, it's more complicated than that). And I don't think that worries them much.

In any way, I don't see how this is connected with someone on the internet saying that most anime are stupid. I can't say anything about his statement until he explains what's "stupid" for him.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Jeez, can't a guy drop a Descartes or two without getting everyone excited?
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Svidrigailov wrote:
Jeez, can't a guy drop a Descartes or two without getting everyone excited?

It's the subjectivity/objectivity that gets people excited. Dropping Descartes is not very safe either, especially on imageboards. Also this picture may ruin him forever for you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 84