• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, yes but it's very easy for that to be twisted into yandere-style love.

And besides I need a clingy yandere for my "Madoka as Otoge" idea anyway XP They always show up in them.

spoiler[Especially when Dude!Homura is so damn hot-looking...]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

spoiler[Especially when Dude!Homura is so damn hot-looking...]

*googles*

...........yeah, I'll agree with that. Anime hyper
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
Bromami is the only which can compare.

Mami makes a GODLIKE genderswap.

The whole idea was indeed inspired by this image I saw:

Totally would do Bromura first. Then Mami, then Sayaka, and then Kyouko.

Needs Hitomi and Nagisa as the token shota though.

spoiler[And...now we are completely derailing the thread so I'll stop here]

spoiler[I am also totally writing a fanfic of this]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
...............oh crap, I'm starting to prefer the show this way. Anime hyper

^That's definitely an unpopular opinion. lmao
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
Attack on Titan sucks- The fanbase ruined it for me. If you dare say anything against it, you'll have the fanbrats on you like repetition on Rumiko Takahashi. I remember a few months ago, Yoshiyuki Tomino, the creator of 'Gundam,' bashed this series. The fanbrats responded by accusing him of trying to stay relevant. Yeah, he only created one of the most iconic mecha franchises of all time that's still going on to this day making a decent profit. He's just a talentless hack trying to stay relevant. You know what this reminds me of? This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDQ2h4hrors. Yes, I just compared the AOT fanbase to the Twitards. No, I'm not sorry.

Another annoyance I have with the fanbase is its tendency to shout spoilers like they think everybody has watched the series. Yeah, knowing that Eren spoiler[becomes a Titan] really helps my viewing experience. Is there a list of characters that die you can spoil too?

I find the characters to be so annoying. Eren is a whiny little git that makes Shinji Ikari look like he's on Prozac. Mikasa is a Mary Sue with the personality of sandpaper. Armin is the clichéd pacifist that has to fight because... Reasons. Jean is a clichéd elitist bully that every military academy movie has. Sasha's bit with the potato isn't that funny and how it became an internet meme irks me. Did the series really need a comic relief to distract the tone of the series? Levi's name might as well be Yaoi-Bait. Anyone who was legitimately surprised that Annie spoiler[was evil] is an idiot.

The pacing is bad. spoiler[ We get Titan fights once every five episodes, and in-between, we're treated to the characters arguing. The comparisons to "The Walking Dead" suddenly make sense. This series might as well be called "People Arguing and Occasionally Titans Show Up."] The characters are too annoying for me to give a damn about their development, so the fights had better be good. And people complained about Godzilla's lack of screentime in the new movie, and yet let this slide? spoiler[ "Godzilla" was a two hour movie while this is a 26 episode series. There's no excuse for this much padding. When the Titans do finally show up, instead of fighting, the characters have meltdowns. Yeah, I bet letting teenagers in the military was a really smart idea on the government's part. They might as well be chanting "I mustn't run away."]

Spoiler ahead for the next rant, because I don't feel like constantly clicking the spoiler button.

Finally, there's spoiler[Titan Shifting. Way to make your show jump the shark in less than ten episodes. Despite the annoying characters, this series still had a chance because I like survival stories.] It had a chance to be a gritty, suspenseful, semi-realistic story (emphasis on the semi). So, spoiler[when the characters are at their darkest hour and Eren is seemingly dead, the writers decide to yank Titan Shifting straight out of their asses. It took all chances at suspense and decided to turn it into a generic shonen by giving Eren a super mode. Not to mention it was a complete Deus Ex Machina to keep that whiny emo alive after I cheered for his death. People actually defended this by saying that there was no other way to kill a Titan. You know that's not a good thing, right? If you make your antagonist too powerful, the writer has to pull something out of his ass to make the heroes equally powerful. That's like if in "The Walking Dead," Rick and his group defeated the zombies by turning into zombies themselves.]

The audience would call bullschnitzel on it. People say it's more realistic that way. Bull! It's a series about giant naked men breaking down a wall and invading a city. I think the audience can suspend their disbelief if somebody manages to stab a Titan in its jugular or lets himself get swallowed to cut through his stomach. spoiler[Maybe if the army actually used those cannons instead of those box-cutter shaped swords, Titan Shifting wouldn't be needed. Finally there's a massive plot hole with the transformation. If somebody needs to bleed to turn into a Titan, what happens when female Titan Shifters like Annie and Ymir get on their periods? Do they just get stuck in that form for a whole week?]

[EDIT: Added some extra spoiler tags and a paragraph break. -TK]
Wrathful

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Massive snip

Well done, you said everything that I feel about Attack on Titans and why I do not like that show. I think the drawing is ugly personally.

I do not like any shonen series from 2000 onwards except FMA. I gave a big chance on Gintama up to 40 eps and I don't get anything at all. Some episodes were amusing other than that, I felt like I was staring off into space.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108, you make a lot of sense about Attack on Titan. After your post I'll have to rethink my opinion of the show.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Granted they're the worst part of the show, but I don't think that the island episodes of The Secret of Blue Water are as terrible as a lot of people say they are.

While it's my least favorite of the three shows that made up Robotech, I did actually enjoy the original version of Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
spoiler[ Finally there's a massive plot hole with the transformation. If somebody needs to bleed to turn into a Titan, what happens when female Titan Shifters like Annie and Ymir get on their periods? Do they just get stuck in that form for a whole week?]

Lol kind of funny you say it got ruined by spoilers but then you give a big spoiler yourself that wasn't in the anime, spoiler[Ymir being a titan.] Anyway to answer your period question, it is because you also need the mentality to transform into a titan. In the earlier episodes Eren had a hard time transforming.

Anyway you have a lot of good critiques but I treat anime as a source of entertainment and not as an intellectual thing, so I tend to enjoy shows like AoT.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
Being a worse hypocrite than the people he dislikes.
Calling him out on it.

I'm gonna stop this spoiler train right here. Sorry for snipping the quotes, especially on you WhiteHairGirls since I know you meant well. But I skipped Animeking1108's post on titan-sized-wall-of-text principal and ended up spoiled by reading when you quoted him.

The fanbase for pretty much everything is crap because people get too into it and the concentration of stupid gets too high. I'm a massive Nanoha, Madoka, Metal Gear, Gust, NIS, Compile Heart, Atlus, Black Rock Shooter and Phantasy Star fan but I steer clear of those fanbases because those people are craaaaaaaaaaazysauce.

Anyway, on topic sometimes I feel I'm pretty far on the "unpopular opinion" path. I'm fine with most dubs, I see anime as just entertainment like a book or game, I'm not fond of the full-on movies like Miyazaki or Shiro stuff (especially Miyazaki stuff) and I'm often perfectly fine with the anime adaptation of something.

But the one I'm going to showcase is that I really don't like streams (anime) and online readers (manga). I know they're booming in popularity but I just like to have access to my stuff whenever I want and I have a portable drive or kindle on me far more often than I have a remote internet connection.

Oh, and I like my shows to actually end, even if they need to make up an ending. That's a pretty unpopular opinion.
</wall>
Parse Error

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
We get Titan fights once every five episodes, and in-between, we're treated to the characters arguing.

I managed to more or less enjoy it as a comedy. Sometimes that was its intention, but most often it was not. The ratio of action to angst was far too low for it to live up to the promise of its concept, and it was indeed incredibly frustrating. I would have been okay with it being part of each episode, but as you said, one had to suffer through several episodes of whining and yelling just for a single action scene.

Animeking1108 wrote:
He's just a talentless hack trying to stay relevant.

Considering him relevant could count as an unpopular opinion so I wouldn't give you any flak for that here due to the nature of this thread, but the meaning of relevance itself in this context is more of a factual matter. Kim Kardashian is more relevant than Tim Berners-Lee, because you couldn't stop hearing about the former if you tried, whereas the latter most people would have to google for just to remember who he is. Relevance is about you as a person being a news story and pop culture topic right now, not how talented you are or the significance of your accomplishments. That's why people accused him of "trying to stay relevant" instead of "trying to become relevant."
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

I find the characters to be so annoying. Eren is a whiny little git that makes Shinji Ikari look like he's on Prozac. Mikasa is a Mary Sue with the personality of sandpaper. Armin is the clichéd pacifist that has to fight because... Reasons. Jean is a clichéd elitist bully that every military academy movie has. Sasha's bit with the potato isn't that funny and how it became an internet meme irks me. Did the series really need a comic relief to distract the tone of the series? Levi's name might as well be Yaoi-Bait. Anyone who was legitimately surprised that Annie spoiler[was evil] is an idiot.

I don't get how Jean is cliche to you when he's probably one of the more developed characters in the show. He goes from being a spineless coward to someone other people who are not freakishly talented like Mika can look up too because he knows what it means to be weak. As the series goes on he constantly pushes himself to not run away from the dangerous situations and in many ways is the most realistic character in the show. While most people in the show are either dedicated to the cause or scared poopless Jean remains in the middle meaning he is still very much afraid but doesn't let it get in the way of doing what's right.

Honestly most of your comment makes me think you just watched the first 3 episodes and went "durr all these characters suck!". If you've responded to other people in the manner you have here it's no wonder you've received the backlash you have. It's one thing to disagree with someone but going out of your way to call everything about a show they crap in a condescending tone and not to mention being WRONG about some of the issues you have don't expect people to play nice.

I'll say some of the same things about anime I hate but i'm not going to cry about getting flamed when I make a confrontational post about it. You reap what you sow. If you want people to properly discus these things with you I'd suggest toning down on the arbitrary ranting bud.

Last edited by leatherhead333 on Fri May 23, 2014 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:

As the series goes constantly pushes himself to not run away from the dangerous situations and in many ways is the most realistic character in the show.

Yes, because what I look for in a series where people fight Zombie King Kong with Spider-man webshooters connected to their hips ... and swords, because "weapon"... is realism.

I gave up early on Titan because even though I liked what I saw, I didn't like what I heard. Because I really hold the most unpopular anime opinion: I like spoilers because I like to know if I'm wasting my time on a show.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:

As the series goes constantly pushes himself to not run away from the dangerous situations and in many ways is the most realistic character in the show.

Yes, because what I look for in a series where people fight Zombie King Kong with Spider-man webshooters connected to their hips ... and swords, because "weapon"... is realism.

I gave up early on Titan because even though I liked what I saw, I didn't like what I heard. Because I really hold the most unpopular anime opinion: I like spoilers because I like to know if I'm wasting my time on a show.

That seems like a pretty weird thing to complain about. As far as i'm concerned characters being realistic in a end of the world situation is a good thing. The physics of how things work in anime will always be exaggerated and by your logic any show that involves magic is automatically doesn't hold any form of realism with it's characters. It's a FANTASY setting. The point of shows like this is putting humans in different situations and predicaments while telling a tale of how it might go. If your complaining about something like that I wonder how you enjoy anything.

I constantly point out the logic flaws in anime but it's mostly for fun.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
swords, because "weapon"
Swords because nothing else really works. Call the titans' regenerative abilities contrived, but they do manage to justify the swords.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 84