• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:17 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
I'm tired of isekai titles.

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion. If I had to guess, the reason they're so successful is because it hits the teen audience just right, but it seems most adult fans have the same opinion. For every good one, there are 50-100 bad ones. I mean, what's even the best Isekai anime out there? I don't think I'd give any of them higher than a low 8/10.

I don't think it's all that unpopular either. It's just the current overdone trend--the equivalent of the Maid themed craze in the early 2000's. Some were good, few to none were/are masterpieces, and most are cookie cutter junk. And in this case there's even more content because many of the "game world" themed anime/manga--another popular trend--have Isekai elements too.

As for what's the best Isekai anime? In my opinion it's one that predated the current Isekai craze by a couple decades: El-Hazard the Magnificent World
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:06 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion. If I had to guess, the reason they're so successful is because it hits the teen audience just right, but it seems most adult fans have the same opinion. For every good one, there are 50-100 bad ones. I mean, what's even the best Isekai anime out there? I don't think I'd give any of them higher than a low 8/10.

I think when people judge isekai they completely forget about the shoujo stuff. Like Kakuriyo, no one ever talks about it and it’s so good. I’m glad My Next Life as a Villainess became semi-popular; we need more shows where the protagonist’s strength is kindness.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
notthatguy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:00 am Reply with quote
There wouldn’t be so many if they weren’t popular.

And I think some of my favorite shows to fall into the isekai genre, like Konosuba.

I think the genre, because it has been so overdone, now works best as comedy/parody.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:47 am Reply with quote
Remember that anime is largely a derivative art form and dependent on manga and novels for source material. The surge in anime isekai reflects the growth of this genre in the antecedent materials.

My top three would be Juuni Kokuki, Log Horizon S1, and maybe Bookworm. Thermae Romae is also fun. The live-action movie is better than the anime adaptation.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:11 am Reply with quote
Another one of mine: otome based and reverse harem aren’t as bad as they’re made out to be. I think, like a lot of shoujo, it gets unfairly treated because it’s female-oriented. Give it a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
notthatguy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:19 am Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
Another one of mine: otome based and reverse harem aren’t as bad as they’re made out to be. I think, like a lot of shoujo, it gets unfairly treated because it’s female-oriented. Give it a chance.

My problem with them is is that a lot of those guys would be perceived as downright abusive, if not sociopathic, outside the context of one of these shows, and while it is a noble thing to try, you don’t date somebody to fix them. It just doesn’t work.

Also, a lot of these pretty boys essentially act like catty women most of the time, except when it’s time to act masculine and they’re just mean and abusive… There are many positive masculine traits, and being a prick is not one of them. Then again, maybe some women go for that. Who am I to judge?

And ultimately it all boils down to he was just a total self-serving asshole because of some terrible childhood trauma, but once you get past that, he will let you in his heart and let you heal him, or something. Once again, that’s not an excuse for being abusive. It’s like when you watch one of these, you think yourself why doesn’t she just go out and find somebody who isn’t a total asshole to her? Maybe chasing after pretty boy vampire demons is a terrible relationship choice.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I think I know which particular anime you’re talking about but I’d just like to mention a few that aren’t at all like that:

My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!
Yona of the Dawn
Kakuriyo: Bed and Breakfast for Spirits
Meiji Tokyo Renka

Only the last one is actually based on an otome game, but the others are reverse harem and really good. And many actual otome games are good. I love the games Ikemen Revolution and Ayakashi: Romance Reborn, as well as others. ARR in particular is excellent and really needs its own anime.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:42 am Reply with quote
Well, now that I watched K-On, I think it's a masterpiece. Granted, season 1 is only incredible in retrospect after finishing the entire series. As such, I can understand why someone who's just trying to have an opinion on everything might see a little of K-On or even finish a whole season, assume it's shallow, then meme up about how the whole show is just about drinking tea, but I think that sort of thinking is grossly reductive. I also have no idea where this strange meme is coming from that it ruined anime.

Even if you're one of those guys who thinks that Moe shows are bad (and in fairness, they usually are), they existed before K-On. Let's say for the sake of argument that after K-On aired, there was a huge boom of Moe and cutesy slice of life anime. Let's say that every season, 10, no, 100 moe blob shows came out from that point onward. Well, if you like those shows, great. If not, the production of anime in other genres never once slowed down. You could just ignore the moe shows and focus on the types you enjoy, unless you're one of those strange aliens who thinks they have to consume every anime that comes out.

Phew. Rant over. TL:DR, K-On is now one of my favorite shows and I cried watching it. My unpopular opinion is that it's a 10/10 story about a wholesome friendship, not a 4-6/10 about nothing.
plomba

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:51 am Reply with quote
Patch of exile is a very fun game. An adventure game where you can lose track of time. In the Patch of exile, the currency is a very pleasant currency. It makes sense;) We collect currency throughout the game. The currency in Patch of exile is so important that we won't do much without it. Currency can be exchanged for useful things. I have played other games of this type and none of them got me into the game like Patch of exile. When I was talking to a colleague about the Patch of exile and the currency in it, he was as happy as I was. Delving into the topic of Patch of exile and currency, I looked through a few forums. I found a lot of interesting information on how to quickly raise the currency level, which will improve the overall gameplay of the Patch of exile.

https://odealo.com/games/path-of-exile/currency

Last edited by plomba on Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:36 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Phew. Rant over. TL:DR, K-On is now one of my favorite shows and I cried watching it. My unpopular opinion is that it's a 10/10 story about a wholesome friendship, not a 4-6/10 about nothing.

I have seen some people before do videos on explaining that people forget that K-ON was liked for a good reason, and that people can miss actually how good it is actually. A moe show is more likely to have people say that it is bad just for being such, especially those who think they see shows more critically.

And there is no shame for crying from K-ON, that one song hit me incredibly strongly.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:56 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Well, now that I watched K-On, I think it's a masterpiece. Granted, season 1 is only incredible in retrospect after finishing the entire series. As such, I can understand why someone who's just trying to have an opinion on everything might see a little of K-On or even finish a whole season, assume it's shallow, then meme up about how the whole show is just about drinking tea, but I think that sort of thinking is grossly reductive. I also have no idea where this strange meme is coming from that it ruined anime.

Even if you're one of those guys who thinks that Moe shows are bad (and in fairness, they usually are), they existed before K-On. Let's say for the sake of argument that after K-On aired, there was a huge boom of Moe and cutesy slice of life anime. Let's say that every season, 10, no, 100 moe blob shows came out from that point onward. Well, if you like those shows, great. If not, the production of anime in other genres never once slowed down. You could just ignore the moe shows and focus on the types you enjoy, unless you're one of those strange aliens who thinks they have to consume every anime that comes out.

Honestly, slice of life shows (whether or not they're "moe") just touch my heart in a way that feels magical. Too many people forget about the little joys in life, relationships and the world itself, and these anime are a nice reminder.

It's one of the reasons I love Natsume Yuujinchou, Cardcaptor Sakura and Pretty Cure (among others). The slice-of-life parts are just a very warm, joyful celebration of living.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Really hate it when anime has a dark/brown skin character, only to reveal that its a "tan". Why do this? They do exist in Japan after all and famous like Naomi Osaka. Its like writers/companies want their cake and eat it too situation in that they want to stand out without "scaring away" certain demographics.
Guile

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:03 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Really hate it when anime has a dark/brown skin character, only to reveal that its a "tan". Why do this? They do exist in Japan after all and famous like Naomi Osaka. Its like writers/companies want their cake and eat it too situation in that they want to stand out without "scaring away" certain demographics.

Tanned skin represents a lot of things in Japan, most notably exposure to sun which is why a common trait for athletic or rural characters is to have a tan
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:40 am Reply with quote
^
Agreed. Darkly tanned skin in anime/manga is visual shorthand for active, outdoorsy types and has been for decades. Has nothing to do with race or demographics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:32 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I think you can be more unique and stand out if you have a character that's different from the norm. Just representing something that's been for decades is just kind of...more of the same. Like otaku wouldn't want a particular character because of their skin, colorism at play. Reassuring the "pure" type,"no question they are Japanese", by repeating the "tan" thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 76 of 84