• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snowcat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:02 am Reply with quote
Those gimmicks are probably from Urusei Yatsura time, maybe older but Rumiko Takahashi had so much influence in shonen romantic comedy that Ataru obviously influenced the genre.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Urusei Yatsura came to mind immediately. As did Ranma. I would agree on Tenchi being another example, though not quite as constant with the gimmicks as Urusei Yatsura or Ranma. Even Akamatsu's series before Love Hina, AI Love You, had the same schtick. Didn't stop him from continuing the same gimmicks in Love Hina and then Negima. Another few I thought of (would need to double check dates to make sure they were actually before Love Hina) are Steel Angel Kurumi, To Heart, and Sorcerer Hunters had it's moments though not being primarily a romcom, Same goes for the Saber Marionette series.

Love Hina was one of the titles that did really rely on those gimmicks, and also obviously predates countless romcom shows that have used it since. I just don't see it as the first to do it at all, and most certainly it did not do irreparable harm to the romcom genre. I mean right now we have far more quality titles then back in Love Hina's day for romcoms. Of all different flavors. Sure Love Hina had it's influences on similar harem romcoms that came after it, but the romcom genre itself is doing just fine.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes Ranma 1/2 and Urusei Yatsura the two most iconic shows from Rumiko Takahashi's early years as a popular mangaka. It could be argued that both are harem anime, both were long running series that ran during the same years at some point (actually just during the later UY movies) and both involve a male lead who consistently received physical abuse from the female lead for doing lecherous acts (or perceived as lecherous).

But the question is where was being hit first exaggerated so much that the character gets sent flying (and used for comedic effect)? It could even be something that's not anime. Anyone familiar with the classic sitcom Honeymooners, which I'm sure had a lot of pop culture impact in Japan too, Ralph would gesture (but never actually struck) his wife and exclaim, "Pow, right to the moon!" whenever she did something sly or annoying to Ralph. Just a thought, it may not have definitively originated in anime or manga.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:50 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Ah yes Ranma 1/2 and Urusei Yatsura the two most iconic shows from Rumiko Takahashi's early years as a popular mangaka. It could be argued that both are harem anime, both were long running series that ran during the same years at some point (actually just during the later UY movies) and both involve a male lead who consistently received physical abuse from the female lead for doing lecherous acts (or perceived as lecherous).

To be precise, only the last Urusei Yatsura film ran while Ranma 1/2 was still airing, although some UY OVAs were released during that time. Incidentally, the last Urusei Yatsura film and first Ranma 1/2 film were released in theaters at the same time as a double feature back in 1991.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I think Battle Shonen is a stupid term for action anime in my opinion.
ThrillerMystery

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:41 am Reply with quote
It's only a term we use to describe action series under the Shonen label. There's more to it than just "big muscled guys looking to become stronger" or "big epic fight scenes" (even if half the stuff published in the demographic make up 80% of it).
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
I mean right now we have far more quality titles then back in Love Hina's day for romcoms.

One of the biggest romcoms right now is literally about girls who pretend to be girlfriends for desperate men for (high amounts of) money by the hour.

This genre hasn't improved at all.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:54 am Reply with quote
I don't think the second seasons of One Punch Man and The Promised Neverland were that bad, in fact thought they were quite good.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Morning Blue wrote:

One of the biggest romcoms right now is literally about girls who pretend to be girlfriends for desperate men for (high amounts of) money by the hour.

This genre hasn't improved at all.

My Love Story, Monthly Girls Nozaki Kun, Horimiya, Honey and Clover, Fruits Basket, Lovely Complex, Toradora, Golden TIme, I Can’t Understand What My Husband Is Saying, and to a lesser extent Maid Sama or Nisekoi, all would disagree with you. I can name more as well. There are still plenty of harem/T&A romcoms out there, but there are just as many quality romcoms that are not. So yea, it has improved.
kakugo complete

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:44 am Reply with quote
Often the easiest way to find a pure fun old anime (especially movies or OVAs) is to watch what is considered legendarily shit. Sometimes you'll end up with something boring or legit bad but usually insanely fun things like Apocalypse Zero/Kakugo no Susume, Mad Bull 34, Baoh, the Golgo 13 movie etc are considered "schlock" or often misunderstood as "unintentionally funny" because people don't notice willful camp and self-awareness. Most of Kazuo Koike's non-Lone Wolf and Cub work is this too, not just Mad Bull. Though the anime versions of Wounded Man and Crying Freeman are not very good, hence not all "schlock" designations geat good shows - just a lot. Beyond some pacing issues Mad Bull is a perfect tonal adaptation and the dub is unironically good.

And Apocalypse Zero/Kakugo is good way beyond camp and gore. It develops serious themes later on in the manga (while still keeping its goofy "trashy" elements & not taking itself TOO seriously) and was the basis for Kill la Kill (though more ballsy in its message imo, it really is what people THINK Kill la Kill was in terms of sociopolitical commentary).

louis6578 wrote:
JoJo opinion: Part 2 is better than parts 3 and 5.

As for anime in general, I know that a lot of us got into a lot of the anime that we love today due to anime YouTubers recommending us things, but... if I'm being honest here, Baccano. Not a huge fan anymore. I still like it, but I don't know what I was thinking rating it as high as I did. It's like an 8/10 if you ask me.

More specifically though, I don't even know if Baccano is better than Durarara. Now that Durarara is finished, I think it's better than Baccano. Even if we're just comparing season 1 to Baccano, I think there's a decent argument to be had that Durarara is superior. Better characters, better story, the only thing I think you could argue Baccano did better was the adaptation (music, direction of scenes, etc.).

I think Baccano just feels "classier" with the jazz & art direction and less otaku fangirl/"husbando"-driven in its visual appeal & fandom so it's kinda seen as more "low brow"; but both seem good from what I've seen.

I used to not care much for Jojo part 3 but it grew on me quite a lot. Part 2, while a blast and a classic, has a big flaw in retrospect: Caesar's death making him look pretty dumb and selfish moreso than heroic. Reminds me of Leiji Matsumoto talking about how he doesn't like idealizing the concept of "throwing your life away" as a heroic thing (its nationalistic ties likely play a part too)

Quite similar to my point above I think Phantom Blood is very underrated, as the most "80s schlock" part (not a coincidence it came during Araki's Baoh era). It has fantastic gripping storytelling and the only significant flaw is speeding through Jonathan's training too much. I just read through the manga back in 2007 in one setting because it was so awesome.

Key wrote:
^
Agreed. Darkly tanned skin in anime/manga is visual shorthand for active, outdoorsy types and has been for decades. Has nothing to do with race or demographics.

I don't often agree with Theron but yep. To assume tanned characters are some halfhearted attempt at representing other races is just projecting internet politics over anime creators. There's tons of legit black, darker-skinned hispanic etc characters in anime who are likable & not just goofy blackface caricatures (and even characters like 008 from Cyborg 009 are written with respect for black people even if Ishinomori had no idea that stuff was considered very offensive; not to defend it but he did move on from it after he was told)
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Ignore that fool who posted under my name a while ago. He's dead and now I'm here, a more intelligent version of myself. After rewatching Baccano at Otakon, I recant. It's a 10/10 masterpiece.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Tropical-Rouge! Pretty Cure is the best anime of 2021. It's so joyful, inspiring and genuinely kind to its viewers. It fills my heart with hope and happiness every Sunday morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chocobos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I think One Piece is one of the worst anime ever
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Chocobos wrote:

Why is that? It's helpful if you provide some reasons so some discussion can be fostered.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Chocobos wrote:

That's not an opinion. That's a false accusation.

Quote:
A false accusation is a claim or allegation of wrongdoing that is untrue and/or otherwise unsupported by facts.

Teh Rules wrote:
2. Post relevant, thoughtful responses; avoid lists and one-liners

Have you only seen, like, three total anime? I'll bet if you saw Samurai Shodown: The Motion Picture with the English dub, you'd change your mind. That is the only home video product I've ever returned in my life that wasn't rented or physically defective/damaged.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 78 of 84