• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:50 am Reply with quote
It seems that this is an issue among top-rated anime series, even though, thankfully, not an overwhelming one, since the majority of the series are highly rated deservingly in terms of both being highly liked and as high-quality products.

But shows like Monster (TV) stain the picture.

By some reviewers, the anime is presented as if it is a brilliant work, though even the very first episode indicates that authors did not care to learn, besides terminology, anything about how medicine work -- in Germany or in general -- or disregarded their knowledge to invent drama in a cheap, low effort way.

For example, not only in Germany but also in almost all countries it is impossible to pull a surgeon who is already assigned to perform a surgery just because a hospital director ordered him/her to move to another surgery in the scenario offered. It would be a CRIMINAL violation, let alone ethics violation.

It is only possible to re/assign surgeons before s/he proceeds, enters the room. And even that would be investigated if it is an emergency department rather than regular, pre-planned surgery, unless strict speciality criteria are met.

The whole field is incredibly regulated, so almost nothing of what is depicted in the episode is really possible to happen.

Also, the very idea that the main character has about all patients being equal is ignorant nonsense. There is always a priority. For example, younger patients are always in priority versus older patients. Pregnant patients are higher in priority over non-pregnant ones and so on.

However, this inequality, of course, does not include preferences for important officials; as I mentioned, it would be outright criminal.

An attempt to forge the time of arrival of patients, as depicted in the anime, is also not possible for many decades already. The arrival is registered in multiple independent systems, so it is not really feasible to purge/forge in a coordinated way unless done by MAD/BfV (German secret services, analogue of the NSA/DIA, etc); a head of a clinic can not do that at all.

The medics react theatrically to mundane situations in their job, which is laughable. So not only what but also how things happen in the anime is pretty insulting.

The show is badly missing on key points in its fundament, makes both the story and the main character not credible for anyone who knows even bare minimum about the issues in question.

In cases like that, the rating shows that people really like the show very much but not the quality of the work itself, which is a cliché/lazy hospital drama show, a genre most popular in the USA which has countless shows as ridiculous as this one in terms of how unrealistic and unresearched they are or, even worse, how much disdain they show towards viewers who are treated as ignorant imbeciles who would "eat it all anyway".

What are other examples of shows which have "Excellent" emotional impact rating but are not actually great works per se?
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused. Do you have a complaint with Monster beyond the fact that it's not 100% realistic to actual hospital procedures? Because you're talking about a single plot point from the first episode of a 70 episode series. If you're put off by something being unrealistic to create drama, that's a lot of anime that you would have a problem with.

I don't buy much into "overrated" as a qualifier in general. It just means that you don't agree with someone else's opinion much, and that's fine.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:30 am Reply with quote
It is not just a single plot point.

In episode #7spoiler[, the surgeon (!) is trying to revive a media worker hit by a gunshot (!) by doing a CPR (!) and by putting a cigarette in his mouth (!), all while being hysterically crying (!). Memory loss trope is also a lame cliché.]

In episode #8spoiler[, the surgeon decides to go "underground" even though it makes zero sense as he obviously would have been vindicated by the investigation, considering the amount of evidence in the case. And the reason why the guy was going underground was because the main monster lad has framed him via using the surgeon's tie in one of his crimes, which also does not make sense since if the evil lad wanted to get rid of the surgeon, he would have simply killed him or, if he would not want to do that to his saviour, simply did not confess to anything in the first place.]

And by episode 12, the anime goes into politics in the most absurd Cold War era fearmongering, right-wing/anti-"commie"/Trumpesque propaganda spoiler[about orphan children being undergoing some experiments in the "Eastern block" even though nothing like that happened while experiments on children were actually documented to happen in the USA and Canada. Also, in this anime lots of random people know about these experiments, and yet they somehow remain unknown to the public, which is absurd.]

This is about as comically bad as the worst kind of TV soap opera stuff. In fact, I did not see anything more ignorant than this even in the most ridiculous works.

Also, there is clear criteria in terms of an anime being "overrated". The examples I cite are not just "opinions": they show ignorance and disrespect towards any sense of basic facts and logic, both within medicine and in general.

Most highly-rated anime, as I mentioned, are not overrated not because someone feels so but strictly because they do not have such level of writing expressed in concrete faults.

We are not talking about "oh, I think this show is weak" or "the characters did not get me interested" or "the pace is too slow/fast for me" or any of the typical opinion stuff.

In fact, for me personally, I think the show is strong, the characters did get me interested and the pacing is fine. This, however, a separate question from the quality of the work that anime is in terms of setting as well as what and how its characters are doing.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm moving this into the unpopular anime opinions as that's where it really belongs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:37 am Reply with quote
That changes the scope/topic, which was seeking anime series that are highly-rated due to their strong emotional impact even though, as works per se, not of a high quality. It is an interesting combination of qualities to research. BTW, another example of that is Elfen Lied anime.

Burying it here makes it is hard to navigate among other posts/comments that are piled on and discern what was the purpose of anything. The forum is already half dead and such practices are not helping.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Welp, I think it's safe to say that hating on Monster for its alleged "reality" lapses qualifies as an unpopular anime opinion, for sure. The show is far from bullet-proof but I did find it a compelling watch. Thanks to Australia for providing a legit release I was able to buy and watch on my all-region player.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:10 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
That changes the scope/topic, which was seeking anime series that are highly-rated due to their strong emotional impact even though, as works per se, not of a high quality.

Except that was not what you were really doing. You were using that idea as a guise to really just complain about Monster. Simply making a thread to honestly just rant about 1 show does not lend itself to fostering a lot of discussion. Which you're certainly entitled to not like the show, but how you were presenting that does fit better here in this thread. Especially since your thoughts honestly really do fall into the unpopular opinion/minority category.
Sky Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Welp, I think it's safe to say that hating on Monster for its alleged "reality" lapses qualifies as an unpopular anime opinion, for sure. The show is far from bullet-proof but I did find it a compelling watch. Thanks to Australia for providing a legit release I was able to buy and watch on my all-region player.

I'm sorry, but what Max South said is right, and then some; the people behind this show were full of it when they wrote it and devised the characters and the story. This is the kind of thing many TV shows are guilty of, especially ones like these that profess to be based on a real-life situation. Placing his response in this thread sounds (to me, anyway) like a way of not wanting to acknowledge this show's failings.

I myself have experienced this when reading (and hearing) critics and reporter heap praise upon a TV show; case in point, the TV series/sitcom Strangers With Candy which has the protagonist go back to school, but not at night (she goes back to school in the day with teenagers.) Now I don't know about anybody else or where they live, but here where I live (Toronto, Ontario) adults are not allowed to go back to school with teenagers, at all; I sure as heck didn't when I went back to school in the mid-to-late '90's. This show also professes to be based in real life (it's based on the life of a woman who managed to pick up her life after bad life experiences and prison, becoming a motivational speaker to high school kids telling them about her life and how to avoid what happened to her; obviously, she never went back to school with teenagers as on this sitcom) but obviously, it isn't, and of course the critics didn't care. lauding it to the skies.

If creators of TV shows want to base them on real life, they can do so, but they should make it as real/true-to-life as possible and not come up with bullcaca that is not true-to-life or not true-to-life to the setting and time that the story is set in in the nation/state/city mentioned/depicted on screen. Lots of other shows have been pilloried for this; if Monster has to, so be it.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:21 am Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
That changes the scope/topic, which was seeking anime series that are highly-rated due to their strong emotional impact even though, as works per se, not of a high quality.

Except that was not what you were really doing. You were using that idea as a guise to really just complain about Monster. Simply making a thread to honestly just rant about 1 show does not lend itself to fostering a lot of discussion. Which you're certainly entitled to not like the show, but how you were presenting that does fit better here in this thread. Especially since your thoughts honestly really do fall into the unpopular opinion/minority category.

I have "complained" about lots of anime without creating any new threads, so your insinuation about my motives is counterfactual. Thus yes, the purpose of the thread I created was exactly as stated, and now it is buried thanks to arbitrary/voluntaristic "readings" of my "real" intent like yours.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:25 am Reply with quote
Sky Captain wrote:
...Now I don't know about anybody else or where they live, but here where I live (Toronto, Ontario) [i]adults are not allowed to go back to school with teenagers...

That only happens when the show sets up the scenario as part of world building that is science fiction, i.e. ReLIFE (cannot also imaging erasing portions of the memories of the real teenage students would be acceptable either in the real world).
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Sky Captain wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I'm sorry, but what Max South said is right, and then some; the people behind this show were full of it when they wrote it and devised the characters and the story. This is the kind of thing many TV shows are guilty of, especially ones like these that profess to be based on a real-life situation. Placing his response in this thread sounds (to me, anyway) like a way of not wanting to acknowledge this show's failings.

I myself have experienced this when reading (and hearing) critics and reporter heap praise upon a TV show; case in point, the TV series/sitcom Strangers With Candy which has the protagonist go back to school, but not at night (she goes back to school in the day with teenagers.) Now I don't know about anybody else or where they live, but here where I live (Toronto, Ontario) adults are not allowed to go back to school with teenagers, at all; I sure as heck didn't when I went back to school in the mid-to-late '90's. This show also professes to be based in real life (it's based on the life of a woman who managed to pick up her life after bad life experiences and prison, becoming a motivational speaker to high school kids telling them about her life and how to avoid what happened to her; obviously, she never went back to school with teenagers as on this sitcom) but obviously, it isn't, and of course the critics didn't care. lauding it to the skies.

If creators of TV shows want to base them on real life, they can do so, but they should make it as real/true-to-life as possible and not come up with bullcaca that is not true-to-life or not true-to-life to the setting and time that the story is set in in the nation/state/city mentioned/depicted on screen. Lots of other shows have been pilloried for this; if Monster has to, so be it.

Is this satire? Please tell me you're not actually mad an absurd Amy Sedaris comedy isn't accurate to reality.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:22 am Reply with quote
Delicious Party Pretty Cure is the best title of Winter 2022!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:08 am Reply with quote
Sky Captain wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I'm sorry, but what Max South said is right...

The first thing to learn when discussing matters of opinion is that there is no such thing as right or wrong. There is only an individual's subjective reaction to something. I have no doubt that Monster takes liberties with real life accuracy... like virtually all pieces of popular entertainment ever made. If the ones in Monster make you run screaming from the room about what a horrible show it is... for you... that's your business. I don't share that reaction but I would never say you are "wrong" to feel that way.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:15 am Reply with quote
This whole "memory loss equals immediately bad" mindset needs to go away. Repression is a real thing and the few times it's used in Monster are pretty excusable. Nina was young when she shot Johan and the whole thing left her pretty much catatonic. This wasn't "I slipped and fell and forgot my whole life until it came back to me" or anything like that.

I accept that Monster can feel a little soap opera-y, but I don't think Naoki Urasawa is capable of creating bad works.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:42 pm Reply with quote
People need to stop taking their own rating system way too seriously. I have seen people who are scared to rate things too low or too high because they didn't want people to criticize their taste. I rate things honestly based on how I feel about the anime title. I give Angel Cop an 8/10 because it's a fun title. I don't care if it's not high art, I enjoy for what it is. Don't be scared to rate something like Future Diary low because you didn't like or don't be scared to rate something like Mad Bull 34 high because you had a good time watching it.

I do the same for movies as well. I give both The Toxic Avenger and Casablanca a 9/10 on Letterboxd. Does that mean I think The Toxic Avenger is equally good as Casablanca? No, I enjoy them for different reasons. If I was a serious critic, maybe I would rate things differently. However, I'm not. Even if I was a paid critic, I won't sell out because that's not who I am.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 80 of 84