• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
People need to stop taking their own rating system way too seriously. I have seen people who are scared to rate things too low or too high because they didn't want people to criticize their taste. I rate things honestly based on how I feel about the anime title. I give Angel Cop an 8/10 because it's a fun title. I don't care if it's not high art, I enjoy for what it is. Don't be scared to rate something like Future Diary low because you didn't like or don't be scared to rate something like Mad Bull 34 high because you had a good time watching it.

I do the same for movies as well. I give both The Toxic Avenger and Casablanca a 9/10 on Letterboxd. Does that mean I think The Toxic Avenger is equally good as Casablanca? No, I enjoy them for different reasons. If I was a serious critic, maybe I would rate things differently. However, I'm not. Even if I was a paid critic, I won't sell out because that's not who I am.

My rating systems are a bit different depending on where I'm rating them. Star ratings on Anime Planet often match up with the ratings I give on ANN, but not always. I rated one 3-star anime I dropped "So-so" and the other (which I also dropped) "Decent" based on my enjoyment of them while I was watching, but the star rating for the first is because I thought it was well made even though I personally was bored by it.

For my 5-stars, it's either "Excellent" or "Masterpiece" here, and the latter goes exclusively towards my favorites. I have a ton of fave anime so I give a lot of "Masterpiece" ratings because that is what they are to me. "Excellent" is a 5-star that I really enjoyed but isn't a fave (a favorite for me is something that really resonated with my heart).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Even more unpopular opinion: I have never seen any point in numerically rating titles, as they're reductionist to the point of being essentially useless. I like so many different shows for so many different reasons that I could never hope to directly compare them via something as limiting as a single number. Am I ranking them based on how much I personally enjoyed them? On how well-made I think they were? On some hopeless standard of "objective" quality? I can't answer that, so I don't bother. I've had a MAL account for almost 15 years, and in all that time I've kept the ratings column disabled, because I just about never use it. (I can count the titles I've rated on one hand, and most of those were among the direst garbage OVAs ever made and earned that 1.) If people ask me what I liked or disliked about a particular title, I'm usually happy to talk their ears off about it, especially if it falls toward one of the two poles. But I'm not willing to plop mostly-arbitrary numbers on them in a vain attempt to rank them against each other.

(Seriously though, every time I see people in the comments thread of an ANN review having a heated debate about the merits of a single letter grade at the bottom, instead of the few thousand-word-long review that preceded it, I die a little more inside.)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:54 am Reply with quote
@Top Gun

I'm going to have to agree with you on this. Assigning a number to a subjective opinion and then manipulating the numbers assigned as if they were objective truth simply gives a spurious sense of accuracy. It then feeds into arguments as to which show is better.

I feel the same way about top 10 lists (or top 50 etc.) In what way is it practical to rate a romantic comedy against an action/adventure show and decide which is better??
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:34 am Reply with quote
My rating system is 4-step system based on what guttural sound I make when I think about a show. "Oh, no, this show rated a 'ugh,' which is worse than last week's 'meh'." It may not be the most useful for communicating with others.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:52 am Reply with quote
Eh, I like rating my anime on ANN. I don't overthink it. I rate things purely based on how much I personally enjoyed the show. So on that merit, yes, I can compare an action show to a romcom. I have rated Tsuredure Children higher than I have rated Re:Creators, I can easily say that I enjoyed former more than the latter. I dunno how else I could rate things. "I liked that, didn't like that and that was decent". It's that simple. Now, trying to explain precisely why I liked or didn't like a given show is something I'm not good at. I sometimes try to stumble through the foggy ideas I have in my head on how certain anime worked (or didn't work) for me, but it's difficult. Usually the best I can do is maybe talk about the pacing or point out a plot hole.

Sometimes I wish I could just transfer my ideas in the head of someone else who could eloquently write those ideas into words so I could read exactly why I liked a show. That someone might walk out of the experience liking In Another World with My Smartphone and not liking RahXephon (oof, that's spicy), but that's not a big deal, right?
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Future Dairy, I'm not a big fan of it. I like it when I first saw it like 10 or 9 years ago. The more I think about it, the less I like it. It felt like it was baby's first edgy anime similar to how Toyko Ghoul, Higurashi, Elfen Lied, Akame Ga Kill, etc. are for me. I find it pretentious and angsty at times.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Top Gun

I'm going to have to agree with you on this. Assigning a number to a subjective opinion and then manipulating the numbers assigned as if they were objective truth simply gives a spurious sense of accuracy. It then feeds into arguments as to which show is better.

I feel the same way about top 10 lists (or top 50 etc.) In what way is it practical to rate a romantic comedy against an action/adventure show and decide which is better??

Oh, absolutely. I could never create any sort of top 5/10 all-time list, because it's never felt right pitting things I love against each other. Hell, I'm the type of person who generally doesn't have single "favorites" in general, whether it's anime series, movies, games, or even restaurants. (About the only thing I can lock in is books, because I know for a fact that Lord of the Rings is never getting knocked off its throne.) I think it's much more fun to enjoy a wide variety of entertainment without putting much thought into where things slot in.

Yttrbio wrote:
My rating system is 4-step system based on what guttural sound I make when I think about a show. "Oh, no, this show rated a 'ugh,' which is worse than last week's 'meh'." It may not be the most useful for communicating with others.

Okay now that's a system I could maybe get behind. Very Happy
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:19 am Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
Speaking of Future Dairy, I'm not a big fan of it....

I know it is just a transposition typo, but an anime about a futuristic dairy (futuristic cows too?) is something I would watch.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:35 am Reply with quote
I divide shows I watched and liked into two categories.

Excellent: shows I really liked and will probably watch more than once. Will recommend. This is maybe 10% of the group.

Good: the other 90% everything from "that was fun" to the barely watchable.

I divide the stuff I don't care for also into two groups:

Bad: shows I tried and didn't like after a couple of episodes. This includes early stuff I watched all the way and regretted wasting the time. This also includes all those shows I got talked into watching because of all the hype surrounding them. At least since streaming began, I don't have to buy them to find out they are a poor fit.

Lets not go there: This is the category most systems miss. It is all the shows you don't watch, because why would you? It is the shows with subject matter I don't like (giant robots for example), story lines I don't care for (any hint of a bad ending), art work I find off putting (too cartoony, too abstract) and any thing intended for a very young audience. I watch anime for fun, life is too short to waste time with shows you don't like. It doesn't mean the shows are bad, they just aren't in my wheelhouse.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:10 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
And by episode 12, the anime goes into politics in the most absurd Cold War era fearmongering, right-wing/anti-"commie"/Trumpesque propaganda spoiler[about orphan children being undergoing some experiments in the "Eastern block" even though nothing like that happened while experiments on children were actually documented to happen in the USA and Canada.]

Well, life imitates art, they say. From 1998:

Quote:
PRAGUE — Czech police have arrested four people, including two Americans, on charges of physically abusing and imprisoning American youths at an unlicensed reform school for wayward teenagers.

The school, Moravia Academy, reportedly opened earlier this year in a secluded hotel about 200 kilometers (120 miles) from Prague...
The teacher said that the students were also forbidden to leave the grounds, which are protected by guard dogs. The newspaper said the youths' days were programmed from 6:30 A.M. to 9:30 P.M. and that they were forced to "sing positive songs, read positive books and were subjected to 30 minutes of psychological pressure from tape recordings."
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I feel like 4kids got too much hate for their anime releases. Yeah, they have made some bad dubs, but it's not like Funimation and Saban was any better. The censorship was done by TV networks than 4kids wanting to do it. If you ask me, the old DBZ English dubs (From 1996-2003) are pretty equal to 4kids One Piece dub. They were both Americanize (Goku's hope for the Universe speech was out of character for him) and had replacement music scores. I feel like Funimation made DBZ feel like an American sci-fi superhero show with hyper masculinity similar to MMPR which is why so many people give it a free pass instead of a fun wuixa show with sci-fi elements in it.
Philville

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:15 pm Reply with quote
FloruOtaku wrote:
Elven Lied is a hodgepodge of wasted interesting ideas and psychological themes, instead exchanged for shock gore and fan service.
Wolf's Rain is a beautiful, complex gem with many great themes on the nature of survival, love, and corruption. For all its corniness, the shows overall quality makes up for it in dividends.

Sorry if I'm changing the subject a bit, just didn't really have anything to contribute to the conversation behind me.

Totally disagree about Elfen Lied, but I entirely agree about Wolf's Rain -- is that an unpopular opinion, though? I always thought the anime had a dedicated fan base.

Unpopular opinion: Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion is overrated. For a long stretch of episodes, Lelouch is about as charismatic as dry paint.

EDIT:

Top Gun wrote:
Even more unpopular opinion: I have never seen any point in numerically rating titles, as they're reductionist to the point of being essentially useless. I like so many different shows for so many different reasons that I could never hope to directly compare them via something as limiting as a single number. Am I ranking them based on how much I personally enjoyed them? On how well-made I think they were? On some hopeless standard of "objective" quality? I can't answer that, so I don't bother. I've had a MAL account for almost 15 years, and in all that time I've kept the ratings column disabled, because I just about never use it. (I can count the titles I've rated on one hand, and most of those were among the direst garbage OVAs ever made and earned that 1.) If people ask me what I liked or disliked about a particular title, I'm usually happy to talk their ears off about it, especially if it falls toward one of the two poles. But I'm not willing to plop mostly-arbitrary numbers on them in a vain attempt to rank them against each other.

(Seriously though, every time I see people in the comments thread of an ANN review having a heated debate about the merits of a single letter grade at the bottom, instead of the few thousand-word-long review that preceded it, I die a little more inside.)

This accurately and elegantly sums up how I feel about numerical ratings in reviews of everything from music and movies to anime and video games. It's why I try to take my time to actually read reviews here, rather than scroll to the bottom of the page just to see the score. It's also pretty obvious when people in the comment sections haven't actually read a review (and more than once I've felt that being a reviewer must be a pretty thankless task).
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:05 pm Reply with quote
English dubs from the last year or two are becoming too afraid to adapt the scripts for America. The scripts are all faithful to a fault, translating jokes that don't really work in English in place of making ones that do. Not to mention that they just lack the adaptative flare that they used to have. This is just something I'm recently noticing, basically as of the 2020s.

Dubs can be great by taking a line and totally reworking the wording while adhering to the same emotion and basic meaning of the original. Steins;Gate, Yu Yu Hakusho, Sailor Moon (Viz), DragonBall (flawed but still appreciably different), Desert Punk, and even things as "recent" as Prison School are all great English dubs for how they took the source material and built off of it without losing the meaning behind the stories. Translation is more art than science and I'm worried we won't see dubs try to push boundaries again, likely due to the backlash of some lines in the Dragon Maid dub (which to be fair, was justified).

Maybe I'm overreacting and just haven't seen the types of dubs I liked lately because I was looking in the wrong place, but I'm also worried that Crunchyroll assimilating Funimation may have something to do with it. The Yu Yu Hakusho OVAs are being dubbed soon. I feel like my answer will be there. If they have the same wit and charm as the show's dub, I'll know I overreacted. If they're extremely faithful to the Japanese script with very little deviation, I'll know that the future of dubs is what I feared.

So yeah, in short my unpopular opinion is that I like when dubs try to spice up the script a bit. If they do something great, it enhances the experience, but if they don't, I always have the Japanese to switch to. When dubs are too faithful, I feel like I might as well be watching the series in question subbed.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:10 pm Reply with quote
it hasn't stopped, it's just not nearly as intrusive. Its also a show by show basis, since some wouldn't benefit in any way from creative liberties.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:02 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
it hasn't stopped, it's just not nearly as intrusive. Its also a show by show basis, since some wouldn't benefit in any way from creative liberties.

Can you name a few dubs from the last year that are loose with the script?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 81 of 84