• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:35 pm Reply with quote
More than a married couple is cranking out the slang and all sorts of euphemisms every week.
Girlfriend Girlfriend and Part timer season 2 got creative
The narrator in Kaguya-sama got more insane
Hetalia continued to be Hetalia

those are what i can remember that stuck out the most. I'm sure there's more, especially in the comedy shows that got dubbed that I didn't watch
Tomsk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:51 am Reply with quote
I thought the Sailor Moon Eternal movies were a load of tedious, overhyped, banal garbage.

I don't care how much Toei (brainlessly) followed the Manga, or how much empty fanservice they threw in. What vaguely passed for a plot was a rushed half-baked mess that made little sense, with the first part spent sucking the Outer Senshi's metaphorical whatsits off.
The actual structure for both movies felt more like someone had clumsily stapled several TV episodes together.
Virtually the entire cast were just a bunch of mannequins, with precious little to no (Rei) character.
The action sequences were pathetic. The production values looked cheap, while blatantly trying to leech off nostalgia for the 90s series.
And boring, one-dimensional, unthreatening excuses for antagonists.
Even the dubbing was lacklustre.

Like Crystal it never amounted to anything beyond a superficial cash-grab, that would otherwise have fallen under the radar without brand recognition and familiarity to fall back on.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:40 am Reply with quote
Tomsk wrote:

Virtually the entire cast were just a bunch of mannequins

Ah....so no improvement from Season 1 of Crystal then.... Rolling Eyes

The 90s version of Sailor Stars is my absolute favorite arc. I am 100% convinced I'm going to hate any remake of it.

[Edit]

Now here is mine:

Fruits Basket Prelude is a good movie

Hear me out.

Most people have an issue with the age gap relationship....but um hello?
Kyouko was a total delinquent, had nobody to turn to, nowhere to go so of COURSE she fell in love with the ONLY kind and handsome man who treated her as a human being???
Like....what did you expect? Laughing

"Why didn't Takaya just make Katsuya Kyouko's age?"
Because it doesn't work for the story. She needed someone older to support her. It's realistic as hell to write a forbidden romance this way. People may not like it and I'm not saying it's wise but it's still a logical choice Kyouko would make.

Shoujo (and josei) are chock full of 'forbidden love' between a girl and an older guy. It's not telling young girls who read/watch them to "go live your life this way". It's simple wish fulfillment, the same way shounen 'romance' involves a crazy yandere girlfriend.

I am NOT at all going to support the belief of "This movie is bad because something illegal (with her parents' permission it was legal anyway) happened in it."
No.
It was directed well, acted well, animated well, tragic af and beautiful. I cried three times.
I think the hate Prelude gets is totally undeserved.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Unpopular?
1.Many English Dubs are good
2.It’s fine to watch the anime for its own sake and not reference or be required to read the manga.
3. Sword Art Online is wonderful!

Those appear to be unpopular from many threads that I’ve read

Laughing
sharkticon

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:04 am Reply with quote
InfiniteJest wrote:
Unpopular?
1.Many English Dubs are good
2.It’s fine to watch the anime for its own sake and not reference or be required to read the manga.
3. Sword Art Online is wonderful!

Those appear to be unpopular from many threads that I’ve read

Laughing

I'll give you that many English dubs are good now. Every so often, I watch one from the 90s, and remember why we had a holy war.

SAO - I couldn't get passed Kirito getting admin powers, and not booting everyone out.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:33 am Reply with quote
I acknowledge that they cheated out and cheated the win rather lamely for Kirito. But wasn’t it a great ride getting there?

And true about old vs new dubs. I rewatched the dub of Ghost in the Shell and it was terrible. Wooden voice actors reading off cue cards.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:16 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Now here is mine:

Fruits Basket Prelude is a good movie

The content adapting Kyoko's backstory was solid and I had no personal gripes with it. But a good chunk of the film is largely skippable since it's just a recap of the TV anime's events from Kyo's perspective.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sharkticon

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Time to bring some real fire:

- The 1986 Transformers movie, and 1987 GI Joe movie should count as anime, seeing as they were animated by Toei animation.

- The 1987 GI Joe Movie into sequence should be in the contenders for best anime OP sequence of all time.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 1:42 am Reply with quote
sharkticon wrote:
Time to bring some real fire:

- The 1986 Transformers movie, and 1987 GI Joe movie should count as anime, seeing as they were animated by Toei animation.

- The 1987 GI Joe Movie into sequence should be in the contenders for best anime OP sequence of all time.

Honestly I don't think that's too spicy of a take really. I already quasi considered the Transformer movie anime to begin with.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 3:29 am Reply with quote
I never hear anyone bring this up, but Hidive subtitles are horrible. Everyone complains about Netflix (and rightfully so) but Hidive is even worse. The subtitles are too small, too close to the middle of the screen, and often disappear too quickly to read without pausing. I have an easier time reading fan subs for the shows licensed by Sentai. Strangely, Sentai licensed shows on Hulu have perfectly fine subtitles, but their personal streaming service is borderline unusable unless you like their dubs.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:

But a good chunk of the film is largely skippable since it's just a recap of the TV anime's events from Kyo's perspective.

That is a valid criticism xD

I wonder why they didn't just release Kyoko's story as an OVA bundled with the bluray....

@InfiniteJest

I EFFING LOVE SAO. Ask them on here; I'm one of the biggest SAO fans in this community and a huge Kirito fangirl. Laughing The anime is good....but I REALLY REALLY love the light novels best. Heavily recommend Progressive....but if you'd rather watch it, the two Progressive movies are fantastic so far...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 6:25 pm Reply with quote
You know the biggest beef I have against SAO the first season? But before I get to that, I just want to say that I went into it really hyped. I know it's hard to imagine these days, but back then the concept of being trapped in a game and if you died in game, you died in real life was fresh. So I was jazzed. But - and I can't remember the specifics now - the structure of how the story unfolded was really wonky to me and killed a lot of my initial excitement over this way cool premise. I also didn't like how OP Kirito was and remember that was back in the days when OP MCs weren't as dime a dozen as they are now. I've kind of gotten used to them now but back then I was... what... this guy just has things fall into place way too easily. So for me, the first season of SAO was mostly about what I consider a squandered opportunity.

I liked SAO Season 2 better and actually quite like Gun Gale Online. I saw Ordinal Scale in a theatre and can't even really remember much of it. I tried to get through the first season of Alicization and just couldn't. To tell you the truth I haven't even bothered with the Progressive movies because I thought they were part of the Alicization story line. I just looked them up and now that I know what they are really about, I might give them a go.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:42 am Reply with quote
Lol after seeing SO many shounen and shoujo 'underdog protagonists who screw up a lot', I was thinking "Oh wow, a MC who actually KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING...THIS IS RARE"...when I first met Kirito. xD I don't like Bryce playing him though (OR anyone else); it HAS to be Yoshitsugu Matsuoka...like that is a necessity.

The interesting thing about Kirito and Asuna's OP-ness is, Reki Kawahara says "They represent the game players I've encountered in real life. I was blown away by the skill such players have. And the characters who admire Kirito like Silica and Lizbeth are just me showing my respect for them."

So...rather than being the author's/viewer's "self-inserts" like so many people claim they are, they are actually based on real people behind a gaming screen.

I thought that was really cool. Reminds me of how Naoko Takeuchi was criticized for "being sexist" by saying Usagi's dream is to be a bride to a man who protects her.
Takeuchi: "....um but I based Usagi's character on MYSELF?"
Sad

Quote:
I just looked them up and now that I know what they are really about, I might give them a go.

Do it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:55 am Reply with quote
I don't care what an author's intentions are. All I care about is what impact his or her choices have on the characters I'm watching and the story I'm seeing. I just don't find lead characters who never have to break a sweat all that compelling, regardless of why the author made them that way. *shrug*
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I just don't find lead characters who never have to break a sweat all that compelling

Sir, I don't know what version of SAO you watched...in the one I watched, both main characters nearly died multiple times or were in severe distress at the very least. I can describe each situation to you in detail, if you'd like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 82 of 84