• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
, in my experience, very few things have convinced people to watch this show more than this

That does not make me change my mind about not watching Princess Tutu

The characters do not look particularly attractive, the dancing does not do anything for me, but mostly the rest of it looks too serious, even dark. Everything that I have read about the show makes me believe that it is too serious for me and I will not like some of the characters.
I definitely do not want to watch duckling abuse.

Maybe this counts as an unpopular opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
, in my experience, very few things have convinced people to watch this show more than this

The characters do not look particularly attractive, the dancing does not do anything for me, but mostly the rest of it looks too serious, even dark. Everything that I have read about the show makes me believe that it is too serious for me and I will not like some of the characters.

I'd say so. It's one thing to give it a shot and not like it versus not giving it a shot because one assumes they won't like it. But, to each their own.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
TRNielson wrote:
It's one thing to give it a shot and not like it versus not giving it a shot because one assumes they won't like it.

There are two reasons why I do that.

The first is that I simply do not have enough time or money to watch everything. I must be selective. Forum discussions are an important part of the screening process

The second, and more important to me personally, is that I want anime to make me feel good. When I finish watching it I want to feel happy and glad that I spent time with it.
I already have enough of those that I really do not need any more. I still have the desire to try different things, but I am very cautious. I do not want something that will bring me down and depress me. I would rather take the chance of missing something that I might like.

There have been too many shows that started out all cute and sweet and happy, and turned around and bit me. The cute little kitten had long fangs and sharp claws.
I am not saying that Princess Tutu is like that, but it did initially seem like something that would work for me and everything that I have read since indicates that it probably would not.

Sorry for the long rant.
I did not realize that I was writing that much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
If anime has taught me anything, it's "don't knock it til' you try it." At least try a few episodes, or even just ONE episode of this beautiful anime before you say it's not your thing. I doubt you'll regret it.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Princess Tutu has it's dark moments and there's its famous bittersweet last scene but, despite them, it has to be the just about the ultimate feel good anime. Pretty well every episode ends up on a high note, while Duck's dance number in the last episode is inspirational.

My advice is - watch the first episode. It sets the overall tone for the series. If you enjoy it then you'll love the series. And, yes, the last third of the series can get wild but it's worth the trip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Touma--

Am I safe in assuming that that you have read this thread?

It may (or, then again, might not) be instructive to consider my mother's reaction to what she saw. She likes classical music -- but is indifferent toward ballet. She lasted about ½ of the way through the 1st episode; too childish, she said. OK, then let's go to the start of the 2nd-half of the series, where the deconstruction begins, I replied. She lasted through ¼ of that episode and left the room, giving the same reason as before.

Personally, I do not think that that she cared for the fairy tale and magical girl themes. Perhaps those are turn-offs for you as well; I do not know. As far as duckling abuse goes, no she does not spoiler["live happily ever after," but neither is she subject to a Brothers Grimm ending, either]. Indeed, the ending is somewhat spoiler[open-ended].
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

I say give the first episode at least one shot. AMVs can be misleading and while that one is very very dark, that's only because it doesn't show any of the lighter scenes. I assure you there's plenty of stuff that's cutesy and even funny too. It's just....a really good balance....kind of like 80s-90s Disney movies. It is a children's anime....yet it's really sophisticated. It doesn't talk down to its audience but treats them like adults. It's a really special, rare gem. I wish there were more shows like this one.

Ahiru doesn't get too abused much....and it's really just in one episode. If you could handle uncut Sailor Moon, this degree of violence should be fine with you. There's a little more blood....but the female characters aren't the victims; they save that for the guys....well, one badass guy in particular. Anime hyper
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
At the risk of sounding like an old grump how about we lay off Touma at this point guys ok? I think multiple people all saying "try episode 1 try episode 1 trust me" has made the point. I don't want Touma to feel like everyone is ganging up on them or brow beating them into trying Princess Tutu.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Lol well yes, Touma's decision is Touma's alone. I wasn't going to say anything more.

To be honest, I was also a little skeptical the first time I watched it.....then I began to love it gradually. That love increased every time I rewatched it.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
^ Everything they said is totally true. I feel the need to put some concerns to rest.

"It's too violent." Sailor Moon is more violent than this, and honestly, there's very little bloodshed. Most of it is ballet dance offs. The few shocking scenes it has works through cutaways from the violence, emotional distress rather than physical, fear of losing one's self in a flash rather than a slow death, and other primal fears such as loneliness and unrequited love.

"Duck gets abused too much." Okay, even I'll admit that Pique and Lillie serve little to no purpose aside from exposition and (unfunny) comic relief. The show could function completely the same without them. Thankfully, they're only there for a few minutes at a time (I believe there's only one episode wherein their screentime totals over five minutes). Minus those two, Duck's comedic plight is really harmless, most of the humor coming more from her getting scared and quacking, nearly giving away her secret identity, rather than from her friends or someone else hitting her.

"It's too dark." This is a CHILDREN'S ANIME! If you could handle Toy Story 3, Wall-E, the darker parts of Teen Titans, Batman: The Animated Series, Courage the Cowardly Dog, or even certain parts of Gravity Falls, this anime should be no problem. The fates depicted and threatened are not gory deaths, but losing one's soul, vanishing into darkness, losing yourself to despair, etc. And... I feel bad in spoiling this but I think it might help your decision...spoiler[ it has a happy ending]!

Here's the thing, Princess Tutu only works if you go into it and expect this grandiose tragedy that Drosselmeyer builds up. You aren't supposed to expect a happy ending. The characters struggling against all odds to defeat the fate that is decided for them is a compelling concept that you are supposed to hope for, but when it does happen, it's a pleasant surprise. This is opposed to Madoka, which is meant to come across as a fun, happy-go-lucky show only to betray your expectations with a true dark tragedy.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:11 am Reply with quote
If this thread is teaching me anything, it's that us Princess Tutu fans take this show seriously. Lawl.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:34 am Reply with quote
TRNielson wrote:
If this thread is teaching me anything, it's that us Princess Tutu fans take this show seriously. Lawl.

Yeah, it has an enthusiastic fanbase.

Quote:

Ugh, I don't agree with that at all. Utena herself was the only likable character. In Sailor Moon, we had a whole bunch of likable characters. Sailor Moon also didn't try to beat the viewers over the head with the message of "All men are jerkwads. Become a lesbian!" Don't get me started on the relationships in that series....they all sucked.

Well, it was clearly intended and for me part of the appeal. Going into a shoujo series one expects a bunch of bishonens who are like princes on white horses. In Utena you have those bishonens, but they are either seriously flawed or outright despicable people. The same goes for relationships, in shoujo one expects a sweet romance, in Utena relationships are best described by words such as pathological and toxic.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
TRNielson wrote:

Well, most fans of anything don't take lightly to someone claiming that they'll never try out an episode of the work for a reason such as artistic preferences. Especially when the work itself isn't a mainstream thing that they likely know enough about to make that call.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Well, most fans of anything don't take lightly to someone claiming that they'll never try out an episode of the work for a reason such as artistic preferences.

I think you need to consider that it wasn't the primary reason, which is that Touma's cup is already overflowing. If somebody is complaining about having nothing good to watch, but dismisses every suggestion over superficial things, then it makes sense to get irritated. However, when their schedule is already packed with shows they know they'll enjoy, of course they're going to have to make some arbitrary choices in order to thin out their options.

louis6578 wrote:
Especially when the work itself isn't a mainstream thing that they likely know enough about to make that call.

Maybe it's no DBZ, but it gets talked about on anime forums, imageboards, wikis, and blogs all the time, and has for many years. In any case, personally I feel the last part of that sentence sounds disturbingly elitist when it is not even slightly difficult for anyone to find extensive information about the series via the web. One of the first results when I type the title into Google is entire an wiki devoted to that anime, complete with detailed character bios and episode by episode synopses.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
^

Apologies if I sounded elitist, but really, I stand by that for most shows, you really should watch the first episode at least before making the call that it isn't your thing. Especially with something like this. I admit some of my personal favorites won't appeal to anyone, but Tutu has a wide range of appeal. At the very least, it's inoffensive if you don't like it. Worth the 20 minutes it would take to say "I tried it and didn't like it."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 54 of 84