• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Well, it was clearly intended and for me part of the appeal. Going into a shoujo series one expects a bunch of bishonens who are like princes on white horses. In Utena you have those bishonens, but they are either seriously flawed or outright despicable people. The same goes for relationships, in shoujo one expects a sweet romance, in Utena relationships are best described by words such as pathological and toxic.

I support feminism but frown upon misandry. Nuff said. Well, any anime that tries to get across the message "This gender is better than this gender" gets automatic black-list treatment from me.

A show that that is feminist without having misandry is again, Sailor Moon. It is a "girl power" show with lots of female characters who are able to take care of themselves and fight strongly yet still want everything teenage girls want (like a boyfriend) and this is perfectly okay.

Quote:
for most shows, you really should watch the first episode at least before making the call that it isn't your thing.

I dunno. Anime hyper It only took five minutes of Space Dandy for me to decide I didn't like it. I am pretty shallow about character design and artwork tho. lol
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

I dunno. Anime hyper It only took five minutes of Space Dandy for me to decide I didn't like it. I am pretty shallow about character design and artwork tho. lol

Comedy is the exception to this rule. No matter how good a comedy is, if it suits your humor, you'll like it, if it doesn't, you'll dislike it. Tutu is a serious, albeit whimsical, fantasy show. Think Cardcaptor Sakura for a more mature audience.
Sakurie

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:02 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
^
Madoka was just a bit too short. It should've been 24 episodes long.

I believe the tsunami cut the production short somehow? They actually had to end it at ep 11 and waited a while before ep 12 was screened because of it. But overall I think the show was well paced.

Seems like i need to give this Princess Tutu a go. Massive magical girl anime fan so sounds right up my alley.

Unpopular Opinion: I've just started getting into the Gundam universe and started watching Wing. Apparently liking it other than nostalgia purposes is a bad thing? It seems very controversial to Gundam fans. Well i like it! Mainly for its weird political storyline and the "bad guys" being more appealing than the actual Gundam pilot "heroes". Also an unpopular opinion in my house is that I can't stand Mikazuki from IBO - the kids a friggin psycho!
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen a bit of Wing, but from what I understand, most people dislike it because it's shounen-esque, but not ridiculous enough to be considered dumb fun (like G Gundam). I personally think it's fine thus far.
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Nanoha x Fate are not canon. They never were and never will.
Same goes for most shipping couples.

I didn't mind the mechas in Destiny of Shrine Maiden, at all.
Not to mention I wish the show got more love as well.

I find alot of filler episodes in anime to be pretty fun and hilarious to watch, Bleach comes to mind.

SAO is the not worst thing in this world.

I think Naru Narugesawa from Love Hina is one of the worst characters in anime.

Mr Adventure wrote:
Isn't it a good thing to have a place to deposit all the negative trolling energy though? Surely it must help keep it out of the rest of the forum, in theory. At the very least its a place to express your dislike of X popular thing without going into a thread about that thing and causing undo drama when slightly overzealous fans start dismiss you as a troll.

As long as things don't dissolve into name calling or other harmful behavior, I think a little bit of soapboxing could be tolerated in here.

You want to see a place for negative trolling.

Check out anime groups on Facebook.
Man, the places I've visited...

[Edit]: joined your consecutive posts. Errinundra.

Last edited by Heishi on Fri May 06, 2016 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Nanoha x Fate are not canon. They never were and never will.
I find alot of filler episodes in anime to be pretty fun and hilarious to watch, Bleach comes to mind.

Heh, I actually like the Bleach fillers as well, particularly the Zanpakuto arc. It was actually much better than where the series is and has been for awhile now.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
- I'm really not into Cowboy Bebop. I tried watching it, and honestly I just couldn't get into it. I don't have any hard feelings against anyone who likes the show. If they liked it, great. I'm just not into it. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. I'm neutral.

- I have maintained that Lodoss OVA and Nadia (ADV) are both great dubs and still hold up well today. Not perfect, but nothing about either strikes me as "OHHHH SOOOO BAAAAD." The VAs show heart and enthusiasm for their roles, and it makes up for the occasional quirks in some lines (and in the latter, sometimes iffy accents, but I got over that flaw after seven episodes or so). That said, a lot of people have absolutely attacked both of these dubs for various reasons, saying that you should ONLY watch these two in Japanese and Japanese only. I tried, honestly… but I really just can't watch either of them in Japanese. I have nothing against them, but I grew up on these two dubs and I just prefer them. The Japanese versions of both aren't better or worse, only different. But the constant lambasting I hear from naysayers on both dubs only makes me stick beside them more instead of pushing me toward the subs. As far as I'm concerned, neither ROLW OVA or NADIA ADV are anything atrocious at all, dub-wise, and, in my opinion, are undeserving of scatting remarks.

- I have no major reason to watch any of my Anime in Japanese, in fact. Not every dub is perfect, of course, but the ones that have truly bad dubs I don't watch anyway. I just prefer seeing them in my own language. Now yes, I HAVE seen some dubs I found unbearable, but that doesn't mean I find the Japanese version better by automatic comparison. If I don't like the work in question in the first place it has nothing to do with how "better" the Japanese version is. If I like something, I like it. If I don't, I don't. It's as simple as that.

- I'm just not a fan of Ninja Scroll, Wicked City, or Love Hina. I found all three reprehensible in differing ways. There, I said it.

- Sometimes it's OK to have occasional liberties in script adaptations and occasional pieces of new music just as long as it's not done haphazardly. Not everything has to be a "1:1" copy of the original.

- I don't consider Akira one of the all-time greats either. I'm aware of its impact on America, and I respect it has its fans, but the latter half of the movie was too much for me.

- I didn't find the second half of Sword Art Online as "unbearable" as depicted. I DO have issues with Asuna being reduced to "damsel in distress" and for being attacked by slugs and Oberon in the climax, yes (that was bordering on Hentai!). But I liked the relationships between Kirito, Leafa, Yui, and Asuna. I found all four quite likable.

- Although I consider Chronicles of the Heroic Knight inferior to the original Lodoss War, I don't think it's that bad of a show. I actually quite like it, despite its choppier animation style and bizarre plot resettings.

That's about all I can think of for right now.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:

- I'm just not a fan of Ninja Scroll, Wicked City, or Love Hina. I found all three reprehensible in differing ways. There, I said it.

The last 2 there really are not that unpopular of opinions. Most here probably have not even seen Wicked City and many probably have only heard of Love Hina in name. Those who have seen one, or both, I doubt would clamor to call either one masterpieces worthy of unadulterated praise. Just saying.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote
The Funimation dub of One Piece sounds amazing. Because the voice actors sound like the actual characters and they give off the same vibe of fun as their Japanese counterparts. It really irks me how so many people will immediately judge the dub over a couple minute clip. Voice acting is like art: it sounds average at first, but over time, it improves and becomes better.

Last edited by Lizzie_B on Sun May 15, 2016 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Lizzie_B wrote:
The Funimation dub of One Piece sounds amazing

Would you mind elaborating.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Lizzie_B wrote:
The Funimation dub of One Piece sounds amazing

Would you mind elaborating.

Yeah, sorry, but I don't see HOW that is such an "unpopular" opinion. If anything, it should be the opposite… unless of course you're talking about being excoriated by the typical "hard to please" fans who scream at any attempt of a dub no matter what.

Also, at the risk of this being an "unpopular" opinion, I don't think the GKids Ghibli dubs are better or worse than Disney's, just not as memorable, at least to me. None of them are outright horrible, but while Poppy Hill, Marnie, and Kaguya were solid, none one of them really stood out to me as much. They're still good dubs, though, don't get me wrong. I just liked the Disney ones, particularly the first ones, a lot more.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
I didn't mind the mechas in Destiny of Shrine Maiden, at all.
Not to mention I wish the show got more love as well.

I have a love-hate relationship with this series. I've gone on countless rants about it. Anime hyper I despise Chikane and the canon pairing but like everything else.

Quote:
SAO is the not worst thing in this world.

Lol that's not an unpopular opinion. Many people here love SAO.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
Future Diary is god awful and anyone who thinks its good is just wrong. This is a rare anime where I would actually say that no matter how you look at it, it's poorly written. You could argue that Fate/Stay Night 2006 is well-written in some ways. You can argue that for Soul Eater's ending in the anime. But this is objectively bad no matter what.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
-Fate/Stay Night 2006 isn't that bad and actually has plenty of good parts.
-Fate/Zero isn't as good as UBW.
-The early episode of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood were still pretty good.
-Sword Art Online isn't a bad anime.
-Soul Eater was an entertaining shonen but nothing amazing.
-The Baccano OVAs were kind of boring.
-The later episodes of Kabaneri were still good.
-Psycho-Pass 2 wasn't as good as season 1 but was still a decent show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:07 am Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
-Fate/Stay Night 2006 isn't that bad and actually has plenty of good parts.
-Fate/Zero isn't as good as UBW.
-The early episode of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood were still pretty good.
-Sword Art Online isn't a bad anime.
-Soul Eater was an entertaining shonen but nothing amazing.
-The Baccano OVAs were kind of boring.
-The later episodes of Kabaneri were still good.
-Psycho-Pass 2 wasn't as good as season 1 but was still a decent show.

1. Agreed

2. Eh... depends on what you're looking for. The story and characters were PLANETS better in Fate/Zero, but the plot was more straightforward (thus didn't require a bunch of lore and research to understand) in UBW and the action was certainly better for the most part in UBW (though Kirei vs Kiritsugu still felt better in execution).

3. Eh. They weren't godawful.

4. Yeah, I've seen way worse. I blame the popularity for its hatedom. It's pretty decent, just nothing epic or great or even that good.

5. Is this an unpopular opinion? I think the same thing.

6. Same as the above. It felt like enough content for another season, or at least 6 more episodes. A 3 episode OVA made it a little too quick and boring.

7. Didn't see it yet.

8. Same as the above, though from what I've heard and seen from clips, I might agree. I feel like I'm gonna have the same opinion I did about Death Note's Near/Mello arc. It's okay, but what came before it was outstanding.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 55 of 84