• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sky Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:57 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I don't like Akira. I didn't care about the characters in the slightest, what was happening didn't interest me and I found it so boring I nearly fell asleep watching it because it dragged on for far too long. The manga, on the other hand, I did enjoy because it had far more depth than the anime.

This is why a twelve-part TV miniseries version of Akira might be better (that said, I still like the anime.)
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I honestly think that 4Kids has too much hate and aren't as bad as people make them out to be. TBH I actually liked a lot of the English voices in Yu-Gi-Oh(not just the original, but all the others too).
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
@cyberdraco
I agree with you, and this probably does qualify as an unpopular opinion among anime fans.

I liked their dubs for Pokemon and the two Yu-Gi-Oh movies that I watched.

I haven't seen any of their other shows except for a few episodes of "Mew Mew Power." I do not remember it very well but I do not think that there was anything that I disliked about it.
To me, at that time, it was just another Saturday morning cartoon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, 4kids and New York's voice acting pool in general get too much hate. All because they destroyed One Piece. You know what guys? Viz Media ruined one of my favorite anime, Gash Bell/Zatch Bell. The manga is one of the few manga to ever make me cry on several occasions, and if the anime became popular here, it could've easily gotten one of the re-adaptations that are so popular in the New Tens, as the manga is now completed. But Viz Media didn't just dub this like a normal kids show (editing out violence, bleaching out blood, toning down language and perverted humor, changing names to sound more American or just plain shortening them, etc.) but the acting in this show was pretty weak by the standards of when it came out. The dub got cancelled two-thirds of the way through likely due to lack of interest, I barely know anyone who checked out the sub version or read the manga, and to this day, a legal version of the original Japanese dub (or even an uncut English dub) has never been released. And if you doubt that Viz was just doing all this to force a shounen action show into the same realm of pandering popularity as Pokemon and Digimon... keep in mind that both copies of the "Zatch" Bell PS2 game come with trading cards that never took off.

Despite the fact that Viz Media ruined one of my favorite shows, they also did a lot of good. Every other dub they've done is at least passable, and ironically, they've saved Sailor Moon from being the same "Sub or terrible Dub" show that they made Gash Bell into. No one ever even cares about their ONE duck up, and yet everyone hones in on 4kids for their dub of One Piece. Come on guys. Remember Kirby, Yugioh, or Fighting Foodons? The cool shows we watched while eating breakfast?
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Honestly, 4kids and New York's voice acting pool in general get too much hate. All because they destroyed One Piece. You know what guys? Viz Media ruined one of my favorite anime, Gash Bell/Zatch Bell. The manga is one of the few manga to ever make me cry on several occasions, and if the anime became popular here, it could've easily gotten one of the re-adaptations that are so popular in the New Tens, as the manga is now completed. But Viz Media didn't just dub this like a normal kids show (editing out violence, bleaching out blood, toning down language and perverted humor, changing names to sound more American or just plain shortening them, etc.) but the acting in this show was pretty weak by the standards of when it came out. The dub got cancelled two-thirds of the way through likely due to lack of interest, I barely know anyone who checked out the sub version or read the manga, and to this day, a legal version of the original Japanese dub (or even an uncut English dub) has never been released. And if you doubt that Viz was just doing all this to force a shounen action show into the same realm of pandering popularity as Pokemon and Digimon... keep in mind that both copies of the "Zatch" Bell PS2 game come with trading cards that never took off.

Despite the fact that Viz Media ruined one of my favorite shows, they also did a lot of good. Every other dub they've done is at least passable, and ironically, they've saved Sailor Moon from being the same "Sub or terrible Dub" show that they made Gash Bell into. No one ever even cares about their ONE duck up, and yet everyone hones in on 4kids for their dub of One Piece. Come on guys. Remember Kirby, Yugioh, or Fighting Foodons? The cool shows we watched while eating breakfast?

The 4Kids actors do have some talent. They've displayed it in "Slayers" and the 2003 "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" series. The problem is that they're usually under bad direction. Related to your tangent on Viz, however:

The Dub to "Naruto" isn't that bad- Okay, maybe early on, it was a bit awkward, but the voice actors did eventually grow into their roles. Also, people give Malie Flannagan too much flak as Naruto. Yes, her voice was annoying. That was the point. Naruto was supposed to be obnoxious and annoying. All things considered, she also sounded pretty close to Junko Takeuchi.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
Not much dispute there. I'd say by the Sasuke Retrieval arc, the dub has very few problems. Shippuden's dub is completely fine to me. The only annoying parts were the beginning and Chunin Exams where Naruto said "Believe it" and "That's my Nindo, my Ninja Way" like he was teaching the most pretentious Japanese class ever.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Also, I never found "Believe it" to be as annoying as other people have. For starters, Naruto is an optimist and highly determined, so saying something like that isn't outside of his character. Second, "Believe it" is annoying, but not "Dattebayo?"
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Also, I never found "Believe it" to be as annoying as other people have. For starters, Naruto is an optimist and highly determined, so saying something like that isn't outside of his character. Second, "Believe it" is annoying, but not "Dattebayo?"

Honestly? It helps to not be able to understand what he's saying. A lot of the time though, when dubbing, you really don't need to put a translation for such verbal tics. Just replace it with something or pretend it isn't there.

The best way to describe why Believe It is annoying but Dattebayo isn't for me, is this. Do you get annoyed when a character adds "Nyan" or "Desu" or "Gero" or some other weird noise to their sentences? No? Not even if it's EVERY sentence in the Japanese dub? Of course not. When I watched Amagi Brilliant Park, a character named Moffle always said "Fumo" at the end of his sentences, but the subtitles never added that weird tic because it wasn't necessary. Similarly, I know very few subtitle groups that add "Dattebayo" to Naruto's speech.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Do you get annoyed when a character adds "Nyan" or "Desu" or "Gero" or some other weird noise to their sentences?

OMFG, yes. Not every tick for every character, but definitely for most. Especially the girls when they're trying to act cute. It makes me want to strangle them. Or myself. Cardcaptor Sakura's "hoe" is one of the few I found cute. Then again, she didn't add it on to the end of every sentence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

Honestly? It helps to not be able to understand what he's saying. A lot of the time though, when dubbing, you really don't need to put a translation for such verbal tics. Just replace it with something or pretend it isn't there.

The best way to describe why Believe It is annoying but Dattebayo isn't for me, is this. Do you get annoyed when a character adds "Nyan" or "Desu" or "Gero" or some other weird noise to their sentences? No? Not even if it's EVERY sentence in the Japanese dub? Of course not. When I watched Amagi Brilliant Park, a character named Moffle always said "Fumo" at the end of his sentences, but the subtitles never added that weird tic because it wasn't necessary. Similarly, I know very few subtitle groups that add "Dattebayo" to Naruto's speech.

In the very least, Viz Media caught on and stopped having Naruto say "Believe It" after season two, where as the sub version still says "dattebayo."

To answer your question, yes, that can get annoying. As the guy above me said, it's basically the writer saying "Look how moe she is!"
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I dunno. I'm fine with it usually. Particularly, in Gash Bell, a demon character named Byonko is a frog child, so he says Kero at the end of sentences. It's not something that annoyed me. Yet in the dub, where he says "Ribbit ribbit ribbit," it was a little irritating.
Woomy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:24 am Reply with quote
I hate Evengelion. I kind of hate it with a passion.

It's one of the most stupid, and utterly pretentious shows I've ever seen and is severely overrated. In a nut shell, it's giant robots vs. giant monsters and everything it can to make that concept "deep". It has probably the most mentally challenged cast since "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" and pretty much proves that angst does not make for good writing.

It isn't some masterful allegory caked in symbolism, it's a bunch of stupid BS. Sure art is usually up to interpretation, but people read way too much in to it and act like everyone else just "doesn't get it". That annoys the hell outta me, and I call BS. I get it all right, it's pretentious crap that hardly means anything. Hell, even Anno has practically confirmed himself that all the religious imagery and what not is just stuff he threw in because he liked the aesthetic. He was never trying to say anything with it.

And I also get that he was depressed when making it, hell, I can relate on some level because I'm also a person that suffers with bipolar disorder and depression, but Anno still created a show that says nothing but pretentious, and sometimes nonsensical dribble.

I've tried to give NGE plenty of chances, but walked away just hating this piece of crap more and more.

"Oh you just don't get how deep and meaningful it is!" I saw one of the films playing one day, and decided to put it on, and I came in on a scene where Shinji decided it was Ok to literally jerk off over a comatose Asuka.

"Deep and meaningful" guys. "Deep and meaningful". Get hell outta here. Evangelion is stupid. No if, ands, or buts about it.

It's a bunch of BS on a level that's about a verbose as its title. Eff this show so much.

Rant over. You have a good one peeps! Smile

Shinji Can (Not) Get Laid.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:07 am Reply with quote
Woomy wrote:
It has probably the most mentally challenged cast since "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest"

Actually, I liked both the novel and the movie..... I wouldn't call them (the patients) mentally impaired so much as dysfunctional. . . . . One of these days I'll have to see the Evangelion movies.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:13 am Reply with quote
@ Woomy,

My first ever post at ANN was an Evangelion troll also, and I ended up a mod. There's hope for all of us. My opinion of it has softened over time, too. Even more hope!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:08 am Reply with quote
I had bought the recent movies of Evangelion since I refused to give the series that I had seen trailers of that showed some terrible still imaged scenes. The first two were kind of decent, but the third kind of entirely lost me, even if I had a general idea of how it got there, I just was not interested in the theme, which I guess makes me kind of dislike it overall.

On the deep nature. I actually did read an article a while back, I am thinking it was this article from Cracked.com, it talks about a lot of the symbolism was just made up on the spot to look cool rather than having intention.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 57 of 84